News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Suggestion: Production bldgs should store produced goods

Started by Yandersen, January 27, 2017, 12:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yandersen

As the topic suggest, I wish there would be a mod adding at least a storage capacity for the production buildings so they could function as a specialized storage barn for the goods the building produces. For example, a Gatherers Hut: what does existence of this building accomplishes? Folks collect food in forests, carry it to the storage barn or market, wander on their businesses... The Gatherers hut only grants 4 people a permission to collect what is on the ground and limits the area where it happens. Seems pointless to me - why general laborers do not collect food on their own? Why do I need to construct a building that actually does nothing?

So the question is: is it possible to mod the buildings like Gatherers Hut, Hunting Cabin, Foresters Lodge and others so they can be used as specialized barns so the respective workers store the goods they collect right in there? And the townsfolk/Vendors then reference to those buildings like the Barns to grab the stuff they need?

Would also be nice if the production buildings can provide warmth so the workers would not need to go all the way back to home to warm up.

Are those things modable?

RedKetchup

the problem is we only can target a food "flag" which mean they will store everything in that "flag" and not just what it is producing.

like example : gatherer. Gatherers are gathering fruits and vegetables.
the problem will comes from the farmers who will go store their cabages ... peppers... apple.... peaches.... in the gatherer hut.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Yandersen

Well, why not?  ;)  Let them store F&V if that building is the closest and only storage they have... I mean, considering the cost and space of those buildings they should provide some value, don't u agree? I can see how blacksmith works in it's store - stores raw materials there, then the product appears around the workshop. But it is not like that with Gatherer Hut, Hunting Cabin or Forester's lodge - those buildings are not involved in the production process anyhow!

And on top of that, the footprint of those buildings is relatively large considering they are supposed to be placed in the middle of the forest for maximum efficiency.

A simple pole with the sign can do as much as those buildings do. So IMO, the Gatherer Hut should have that F&G storage flag on. Or... Hm...

Actually, why do we even need Gatherer Hut and Hunting Cabin buildings? Is it possible to somehow make the Gatherer and Hunter professions not bound to the specific building (like Laborer or Builder) so we can assign as many of those as we want and expect the folks to grab nearest food or kill nearest deer? Is it possible?

Gatherer

Quote from: Yandersen on January 27, 2017, 08:18:07 AM
Actually, why do we even need Gatherer Hut and Hunting Cabin buildings? Is it possible to somehow make the Gatherer and Hunter professions not bound to the specific building (like Laborer or Builder) so we can assign as many of those as we want and expect the folks to grab nearest food or kill nearest deer? Is it possible?

Actually user Tom Sawyer has made 2 small mods that cover fishing and hunting in a way you describe. They are called Go Hunting and Fly Fishing.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Tom Sawyer

I like this idea of storing food in food production buildings. Red is right of course. It cannot be realized perfectly but I would give it a try if it is possible technically. I already tried it with the herbalist but without success. It's so weird that people have to take a herb from a barn and to carry it to the herbalist. To store veges and fruits in the shelter would make sense for me too and in a forest probably no strange things would happen. A workaround would be a combined building with small gatherer shelter to define the area and a storage building as an extension.

Here the link to the hunting tool. Some other tools for gathering food and herbs are part of the Nordic mod. In other mods you find small objects to define the area for hunting and gathering. Kids Forest Outpost has nice things to play with including a raised hide.

Nilla

Quote from: Yandersen on January 27, 2017, 08:18:07 AM

And on top of that, the footprint of those buildings is relatively large considering they are supposed to be placed in the middle of the forest for maximum efficiency.

A simple pole with the sign can do as much as those buildings do. So IMO, the Gatherer Hut should have that F&G storage flag on. Or... Hm...

If you use the forest outpost from @kid1293, you're almost there, the "buildings " are very small, more just a spot, where they put their pots or a hunting tower for the hunter, to look out for animals. But I find your idea very good, too; to be able to store some products in these otherwise useless buildings. I hope you'll find something out @Tom Sawyer.

Paeng

Quote from: Nilla on January 28, 2017, 02:24:40 AMforest outpost

Yeah, I use those a lot, too... or the Deep Forest items, also by Kid.

I usually set down a tiny 2x2 barn or lately also Kid's Storage Crates, which have just enough cap to store some stuff until it can be picked up...

Sure, a truely "associated" storage would be nice - though with the small-footprint items available now I can live with it...  ;)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Necora

I agree with you here, I recently made a forest addition to my maritimes mod and realized the same thing. I first made the forester, hunter etc. with a nice lodge until I realized that 1) I am over using that lodge and 2) the building itself is totally useless, even with the 2x4 foot print they were it is still a waste of space. So I decided to go down the mini forester route like the mini mod at BL and those of Kid and co. here. It makes for a much nicer lay out and you can also then add a house or storage or both without wasting a load of space. I want to do storage in the form of small caches, but there is only so much you can limit in game as others have said, 'fruit' or 'protein' etc.

Yandersen

Nice party we have there, thanks everyone for joining!   :)

Go Hunting is definitely a good suggestion to start with, thanks, but it is far from being a good alternative to a Vanilla' Hunting Cabin. It is still an invisible building with 3x3 footprint, so space is taken anyway, plus the effect radius is ridiculously small. But the worst part of it is that it get easily lost in the woods, especially if u spam many of those.

The Kid's approach in Forest Outpost mod is much better though. Especially with Hunter Outpost - it is almost perfect actually! I thought about smg like a watchtower there (assuming it serves a purpose of tracking down the wild animals from the height, so it should be taller than trees around it):

But the mistake Kid made is the road attachment tiles all those functionless buildings still have (they prevent trees from growing on them) - as those are not visited by the workers, they do not need to be attached to the roads. Plus the size - the tall Hunter's Outpost can be made with 2x2 footprint and still be visible in the woods, but the tiny models of Forester, Herbalist and Gatherer are lost there. Well, bigger models means bigger footprint, but as long as it smaller than the ridiculously huge vanilla versions - it is fine, IMO.

So IMO, Kid is on the right track, but he seem to stop working on Forest Outpost half a year ago...

Also, in the Forest Outpost mod I do not like the buildings' models - even if their smaller footprint is more practical, their appearance is worse than the vanilla buildings, IMO. As the cheap log-assembled wooden huts I expect them to look smg like that:

And 1 more thing - the multipurpose Workshop. It is illogical that the dirty blacksmith house can be reused for textile working. It makes sense only if that would be just a Wooden Tool it can produce.

BTW, is it actually possible for a mod to completely replace model and footprint of the original building, or the only way is to spam more buttons in the UI?

Tom Sawyer

A thing is always only perfect for what it was created for. :)

The hunting tool is for active and unlimited hunting. You remove it after your hunt by the quit button. To define a permanent ground by a small construction, Kids raise hide is the best solution imo. The road tiles can be removed but that's up to him.

Your picture of the log cabin looks very nice. And Russian. I made such an izba. This one here is a bit more primitive but the same base construction.

And a vanilla model can be replaced in the toolbar. I did it with the mine in the Nordic mod.

Yandersen

I am sorry, Tom, but I must argue on this tool being perfect it is designed for. The small effect radius suggests putting the hunting thingy directly in the place where the deer is at the moment, but since those are usually in the forest, away from the town, the footprint the "building" has must be cleaned out of trees first - so some form of the construction actually happens: laborers cut down trees and carry the log to the stockpile, only after that the hunting becomes possible. By the time it is done the deer usually leaves the tiny hunting area.

I am not suggesting an improvement of any kind - I just think that the idea itself is not good: to make a building selectable it must have a footprint, but as it has one, the placement requires cleaning of the area. I see no way how it could work without looking like a cheaty thingy. IMO, the actual model should be added as discussed in the previous post - a tall watchtower on 2x2 footprint with no road tiles to replace the vanilla's Hunters Cabin.

The Gatherers Hut and Forester Lodge is still up for a discussion. As for a Forester Lodge  - is it possible to make a special kind of Stockpile able to employ Foresters? I mean, just a stockpile - the Foresters collect stone, iron and whatever they find on the defined area - all of that fits the regular stockpile, so why need anything else? In reality the forester's hut is a place the forester rests, eats, warms up, stores tools and so on:

But in game mechanics bannies do so at homes, so the stockpile itself functionally would fit better instead of vanilla's Forester Lodge, IMO. Unless that building can't be modded in a way to fit a family like a house? Maybe this will be even a better alternative for Forester, Gatherer and Hunter buildings - to serve as houses as well? Is it possible?

Paeng

Quote from: Yandersen on January 29, 2017, 12:58:42 AMworst part of it is that it get easily lost in the woods

Well, here your cat bites its tail - making very small structures means that they get "lost" in denser forests, the more if the road tiles were removed... and building them high is not really an option either (your suggested hunter tower looks more like a Forest Firewatch Tower).  Also, I would not call them "functionless" as they define the area (radius) of work...   ;)

On the other hand, why would these small forest items need to be highly visible? Once built, they do their job and there is not much maintenance needed - else you can just open your townhall and "tab" through all hunters, gatherers, foresters etc. to check their output and occasionally relocate those that are about to be swallowed up by civilisation...

The main thing to consider imo is still storage - forest people need to drop their stuff somewhere (or store tools and clothes), to be picked up (or delivered) by laborers and vendors... so for that you need larger structures and road access again, and not too far removed from the work places (and markets or larger barns etc.)...

I'm not too "reality-driven" (like some who might say that huge storage = huge structures)... I can live very well with the notion that the forest dwellers have a large underground cache that can be accessed through a small 2x2 shack on top of a dugout...  ;)

Another thing to consider is housing - 4 gatherers need 2 houses, again close enough to work places without cutting too much real estate out of forests or hunting grounds, and road access... Forest Outpost has good small buildings for that - if any, I'd like a bit more variety (e.g. roofing) for those, the little log cabin you showed is pretty cool, too.

* As for the multipurpose Workshop - to me that is just a (welcome) early option where I can switch between tools and clothes until I can afford to build the "real thing"... I rarely consider them permanent structures, else I build two of them later on to just do one job each...  :)

Nilla

I must argue about the hunting tool. I like to play Banished as a surviving game; the hardest options are my favourites. I use the hunting tool a lot early in the games. In my games it is actually quite perfect. You mustn't see it as a small version of the hunting lodge. You don't put it out in the woods, to let the hunter/s do their job. If you want to use it like that, I can understand your critics. But it's something else. That's the great thing. As Tom says, it's an active tool. You see a flock of deer close to your settlement. It has to be close to a barn, if you want more than 1 deer, because the hunter kills an animal, carries the meat and the hide into the barn, before he/she kills the next. It's seldom a problem to find a free 2*2 spot. When the deer walk away or you have killed enough for now (you can over hunt, so it's a great part of strategy in using it) you delete it and let the former hunters do something else, until you see the next suitable flock. The small influence area isn't that fixed. Like hunters in a hunters cabin, a hunter kills every deer he/she sees, if it's inside the circle or if it's spotted somewhere else, doesn't matter.

I primary use this tool early in the games. In a big settlement it hasn't any real importance. Sometimes if I've cleared an area for farming and there's a big flock of deer in there, I might use some instant hunters, to get some cheap meat, but that's an exception.

I like a large variety of buildings, too. For me there can never be 1 perfect hunter, forester, gatherer, toolmaker, house......... It will always depend on the game, the map, if it's early or late..........

Opposite to @Paeng, I do like "real" things; houses of a reasonable size, models based on actual historical buildings, technique that actually would work the way it looks, buildings that historically and geographically fit together... But in some games, I don't care. That's the reason, I find a mod like the Forest outpost, has its place in Banished, just the way it looks. (OK I do agree that the road parts of the small buildings without access could be taken away but these 2 tiles doesn't really matter)

Tom Sawyer

I did not say the hunting tool is perfect. It is not and this placement issue is not nice. It needs these 3x3 tiles to place the marker on the ground in a suitable size. A way to let them ignore obstacles (trees) would be a great improvement but I tried a lot without success while making this tool. I just meant to not use or judge it as an alternative to a permanent hunting cabin.

And I'm also someone who wants it all realistic and reasonable. But we have the game on the other side and it always has priority imo. It makes no sense to create something perfectly realistic or pretty nice if it does not improve the gameplay. The forester is such a thing. We build clusters in the forest with a radius and it is important to easily recognize it on the map. The vanilla forester is a good solution from this point of view. Not realistic but it works very well in game. The small variants in form of mini workplaces under the trees I don't really like to use as centre of such a cluster because it is confusing.

To combine a forester, hunter or gatherer building with a residence does not work. Actually the game requires one object for one function, at least in most cases. With a storage location I'm not sure. A production building can be combined with a storage location but when it starts to produce, all not used resources will be carried out of the building. With other combinations I have no experience. The workaround is always to create two objects and to combine it in game like Reds two story buildings. The limits are placement and toolbar but it is a great concept. Just modular. And why not a two story forester's lodge with a residence upstairs. Would be realistic and working in game.

Paeng

Quote from: Nilla on January 29, 2017, 04:55:41 AMOpposite to Paeng, I do like "real" things; houses of a reasonable size, models based on actual historical buildings, technique that actually would work the way it looks, buildings that historically and geographically fit together...

Oh, don't get me wrong - I like all these things as well... though I don't mind doing things a bit differently, as long as they make sense, e.g. a rootcache driven into a mountainside to save some space or such - that makes perfect sense, imo...  ;)

For hunter, gatherer and forester lodges, with their sometimes huge footprints - well that does not really make much sense to me, at least not on all occasions.

* Btw, that's also why I asked for a very large harbor model, not just to tweak an existing one for unrealistic high cap...  :)