News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant: Frenchman's Bend: trying for a soft landing

Started by irrelevant, November 11, 2014, 05:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

But I see a normal trading port, and as long as you have at least one of those, nomads will arrive.

And do really no merchant with seeds or animals arrive to the medieval trading port? As I tried that mod; they arrived as usual. I haven't used it for a long time, so maybe it works on those TP as well, only my mod is too old.  ???

irrelevant

Ah, okay, I thought you meant if you were using that no seeds mod, none would come.

Has anyone used the medieval clinic as a ground floor element in a town? My initial reaction to that is that, it would not be such a good idea.

Progress:

Year 162 - pop 886

Those pastures are the next to go, relocating across the river in the sticks. Going to start at the other market and NMT the whole place there, too.

Nilla

I used it in my big settlement and had two big epidemics. But I also had a couple of infections of deceases, that could have lead to an epidemic, but didn't. So I have no good answer to that. The small clinic has no happines radius. So it doesn't attract idlers, but the people who just pass by, might be infected.

I made a small Banished brake again but did start a new settlement yesterday. I don't know if it's interesting enough to blog; I will make another try, to fill a medium map with the NMT-buildings. It annoyed me, that the bugs stopped me the last time.  I think I will use the small clinics (haven't built one yet). I think, I will build a lot of them, but avoid places where people pass by. So only the people who live close, might catch the disease from people in medical care. I'm not sure that it is a good idea, but it's hard to avoid an epidemic in a dense built settlement. I know that a normal number of "good" located normal hospitals don't work. Maybe a larger number of smaller clinics could work better. You must catch patient zero! Fast! And than hope for thee best.

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on July 15, 2015, 02:52:54 AM
...it's hard to avoid an epidemic in a dense built settlement. I know that a normal number of "good" located normal hospitals don't work. Maybe a larger number of smaller clinics could work better. You must catch patient zero! Fast! And than hope for thee best.
Yes, that has been my experience as well!  ;) Perhaps having a number of clinics about, off the main roads as you describe, could work.

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on July 15, 2015, 11:37:18 AM
Quote from: Nilla on July 15, 2015, 02:52:54 AM
...it's hard to avoid an epidemic in a dense built settlement. I know that a normal number of "good" located normal hospitals don't work. Maybe a larger number of smaller clinics could work better. You must catch patient zero! Fast! And than hope for thee best.
Yes, that has been my experience as well!  ;) Perhaps having a number of clinics about, off the main roads as you describe, could work.

As long as the clinics are built so that no one, or almost no one, can get inside the "infection radius" for whichever sick person is in the clinic. Lately I've been building @RedKetchup's stone walls out seven spaces in all directions from my hospitals, leaving only a gate in front as access. This keeps people at the right distance for most diseases, though not for the two that have a larger radius (Cholera and one other). As @Nilla says, the trick is getting patient zero inside the fence before infecting anyone. No matter how well hospitals and clinics are placed, you can't always do that, especially if the person has a task to be completed before visiting the doctor. And, even with Red's "Bobbi Special Doctor House" mod, you can't keep children from playing inside the fence--they seem to move at random, and then play more after they are infected so often spreading the disease to others. If it weren't for those meddling kids . . . .

RedKetchup

the best is to make a mod called : Vaccination
that will immune all citizens to all disease LOL
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

xyris

I've built houses over the clinics and had no problems.  But only two infectious diseases so far, and it's not a large settlement. 

Both clinics are away from main roads.  One has a field across the road and the farmer was infected.  Not sure if it was influenza or yellow fever.  The second clinic has a small cemetery behind it.  None of the idlers caught anything which is interesting.  Maybe the infection point is the front of the building.

irrelevant

Quote from: rkelly17 on July 16, 2015, 10:14:34 AM
As long as the clinics are built so that no one, or almost no one, can get inside the "infection radius" for whichever sick person is in the clinic. Lately I've been building @RedKetchup's stone walls out seven spaces in all directions from my hospitals, leaving only a gate in front as access. This keeps people at the right distance for most diseases, though not for the two that have a larger radius (Cholera and one other). As @Nilla says, the trick is getting patient zero inside the fence before infecting anyone. No matter how well hospitals and clinics are placed, you can't always do that, especially if the person has a task to be completed before visiting the doctor. And, even with Red's "Bobbi Special Doctor House" mod, you can't keep children from playing inside the fence--they seem to move at random, and then play more after they are infected so often spreading the disease to others. If it weren't for those meddling kids . . . .
If that person with a task is not a laborer, a student, or a child, you can send him to the doctor immediately by firing him from his job. That will send him to the doctor unless he is on his way home to eat or get warm, those are the only two tasks that take priority over going to the doctor.

You fire him by finding out where he works, and clicking off the "work" button. You can click it back on after he is on his way to the doctor.

Quote from: RedKetchup on July 16, 2015, 11:50:54 AM
the best is to make a mod called : Vaccination
that will immune all citizens to all disease LOL

Well, you could do that by going into the disease table and changing all the "chance," "radius," and "death," parameters for every disease to 0. Actually, probably just changing one single type would do it, but why mess around? I bet that would be a popular mod.  ;) ;)

Quote from: xyris on July 16, 2015, 03:32:15 PM
I've built houses over the clinics and had no problems.  But only two infectious diseases so far, and it's not a large settlement. 

Both clinics are away from main roads.  One has a field across the road and the farmer was infected.  Not sure if it was influenza or yellow fever.  The second clinic has a small cemetery behind it.  None of the idlers caught anything which is interesting.  Maybe the infection point is the front of the building.
The infection point is a circle, with a radius of 8-10 tiles, centered on the sick bannie. This is large enough that it extends well outside a hospital, far enough to infect passers-by.

irrelevant

Year 164- pop 976

Taking a break from housing expansion in order to concentrate on food production and accumulation.

Food inventory is declining because I am sucking it up into warehouses. Got about 150k food socked away so far. I'll need millions, eventually ;)

Nilla

Quote from: irrelevant on July 16, 2015, 08:43:19 PM
I'll need millions, eventually ;)

Do I smell a "record braking" attempt? Or else, what is your purpose collecting all that food?

irrelevant

@Nilla Yes, I'm planning to make this a big town. I want to see how differently a big NMT town works from a big vanilla town like Sink Mill.

RedKetchup

Quote from: irrelevant on July 17, 2015, 06:02:29 AM
@Nilla Yes, I'm planning to make this a big town. I want to see how differently a big NMT town works from a big vanilla town like Sink Mill.

seems the number to beat now is 10,000 hehe
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

@RedKetchup I don't think that is going to happen  ;) ;D I'll just muddle on through with firewood, ale, and pies and maybe get 2-3000.

edit: actually, I don't think it's going to happen with this town at all. It's too-well established to a different philosophy. I started it out building for stability and longevity. There's so many things made that I have to tear down. For example, I was never going to make trading a main priority. So many of the TP sites have other things built on them already, bridges, houses, markets. I think I'd be better off starting a new town, if max pop was what I was after. But I'm going to continue this town in order to learn how to properly use NMT and the canals.

xyris

Quote from: irrelevant on July 16, 2015, 06:24:06 PM

Quote from: xyris on July 16, 2015, 03:32:15 PM

The infection point is a circle, with a radius of 8-10 tiles, centered on the sick bannie. This is large enough that it extends well outside a hospital, far enough to infect passers-by.

Sorry, that was sloppy writing.  The clinic is five by five.  Where in that five by five square is the sick bannie?

irrelevant

@xyris I don't know about the clinic, I haven't been using them very long. But in a regular hospital, the patient seems to be in the middle of the building's depth, directly in line with the door.