News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Brick Tenements and Rowhouses from the Industrial Revolution

Started by AzemOcram, December 08, 2014, 11:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mellowtraumatic

Really looking forward to these, Azem. There's nothing I love more than new housing.

Denis de la Rive

Sorry I just thought they were also housing, Having monument is a good Idea, the light grey one might be a bit too high, it could overwhelm the skyscape. There is a general lack of such structures I hope you get them done.  :)

AzemOcram

The light grey one is slightly shorter than than the real Elizabeth Tower (the Clocktower in Westminster Palace that houses Big Ben) and is shorter than Ketchup's Medieval Cathedral.

ICC will include an office building that inputs paper (made from reeds or sawdust) and outputs Silver Pfennigs or Gold Guilders. Both outputs take a full shift (the longest length of time used in vanilla Banished) to create the money but has the most profits when fully staffed (12) with educated and tool-wielding workers churning out Silver Pfennig. The model will be 8x8 and slightly taller than the dark grey clock tower. It will require Advanced Building Supplies, Fancy Furnishings, and Machinery (an efficient lumber mill, paper mill, steel mill (only makes Joists, Advanced Tools, Gears, and Stoves), flour mill (can also make flour from Wild Seeds and Potatoes), and textile mill will all require Machinery). The super-late game will be easy to import raw materials and export refined materials. The "Central Park" could provide enough food & herbs to feed your populace and logs & hardwood to fuel your industries between shipments.

Denis de la Rive

Sound very good, well planned, with many nice additions to CC, and NMT. I only worry that it might just be a lot of work to get some of those more complex functions to work.  :)

AzemOcram

Remember that my plan is also organized by time.

Narrow Rowhomes is almost complete and will be released soon after Banished 1.0.5 stable is released.

Barely functional (vanilla) Monumental Clocktowers (function as churches) will be next.

Nueva EspaƱa (vanilla and colonial) should be released in the summer (or late spring) if I start and complete it.

[postcolonial] Industrial Commonwealth Cities will be in "Development Hell" for a while.

Denis de la Rive

Looking forward to using them, and spreading the news of that they are out.  :)

AzemOcram

The proportions were off and it made more sense to have 2 windows per floor (instead of 3) so I remade all components. Whiping up the finalized models will be easy now (but it's midterm week).

Denis de la Rive

Looks real nice, I like the window to door ratio, it makes it more natural looking. I agree that the changes you made are better, it looks cleaner and less compacted.  :)

Kimbolton

Looking forward to your next update. Hope all is going well.

AzemOcram

I didn't realize midterm "week" lasted until Spring Break (which starts tomorrow afternoon)! I also didn't realize that optimizing the models makes texturing more difficult. I will remake the orange, seafoam green, hot pink, and blue models before I attach the roofs (which are already perfect). I will also make a version of the blue with a shorter 2nd floor (for the purpose of tier 0).

I will also test the buildings in Cities Skylines before putting them in Banished.

Kimbolton

Hey sounds good. I hope you had a nice spring break and were able to work on this some more.  Looking forward to it! :)

AzemOcram

They looked bad in Cities: Skylines so I'm going to split the roofs into more triangles.

My ChemE prototype project took 4 days longer than expected to get up and running, which left less time for modding and fun stuff.

Kimbolton

Hey there AzemOcram,

Thought I would check in with you now that  Banished 1.0.5 is finally out of beta. Hope you still have plans for these and that all is well with you. :)

AzemOcram

Bad News: My Surface Pro 3 i5 broke and my backup of my files somehow incorrectly saved my .3ds and .fbx files so all my 3D models are corrupted/broken.

Bad News for me, potentially good news for you: I now have a lot of time on my hands and have been able to model 3D buildings slightly better than before much quicker (I'm going off screen shots and renders)

Good News: I learned how to better apply textures and have access to Textures.com (used to be CG Textures, royalty free) and thanks to SimPE (and my friends), I have textures from GTA IV and The Sims (1-3).

Anyway, I drew many diagrams and perspective sketches for my narrow housing (I'm not making multi-family tenements) and settled on having 4-6 tiers of temperate lumber, temperate/cold stone+lumber, temperate/cold brick, tropical wood, and tropical stone. My menu will have 8 icons (humble wood+stone, lumber, left lumber+stone, right lumber+stone, left brick, right brick, Caribe wood, Caribe stone) and each of the base/tier 1 buildings will have 3-5 upgrades, with the humble rowhouse (same stats as the colonial small shack upgraded to small house) having only 1 or 2 upgrades. It should take me 2 weeks after I start back up on this project (which I haven't officially yet) before these will be ready.

Kimbolton

Hey there AzemOcram,

Sorry about your broken files but so glad that you have decided to continue the project. I think it has a lot of potential and will really add to the game.

Good Luck!  I look forward to seeing your next update. :)