News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Downloads?

Started by Hawk, May 02, 2018, 03:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on May 02, 2018, 03:24:27 PM
Good to see the forum working again and thank you very much for fixing it! What was actually the cause? It was said about a server change.. but on Sunday evening and taking down a site for days? Never heard. If this info was not just a joke I would really think about changing the hoster. And if not caused by them then someone else seems to have access to the forum software motivated to do strange things. I would suggest to change the ftp and database password if you did not already.

I'm taking a break before I start running a post mortem on this issue.  Looking back on this, I didn't do myself any favors for figuring out the cause but the fixes will help point me in the right direction.  Yes, I've changed passwords and did a cursory review to see if malware, a hacker, or bad upload was involved.  I got an email from my host that they were changing me over to a new server which required me to check my dns records to make sure my primary site and hosted sites all had the right IP address.  I logged in to check dns records and everything was fine but then I got the notice from RED that the site was down.  The quick overview of the issue is that some of the php files rolled back to older versions.  This broke the site functions and lost the additions the forum mods make to the files needed to manage them.

I keep a backup of the site and the database but this is the 1st time in the 4 years of existence I migh have needed them.

Maybe the host server got hacked by another site and it affected multiple sites like mine or maybe files got corrupted.  I need to look over things again and see what I find.

Thanks for the advice and the interest!  Let me know if you want to be updared on my findings!

TBC

RedKetchup

of course i would like to know what you can find :)

Thanks again !!
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

angainor88

ancientmuse

FYI

This site went down right around the same time that a whole bunch of other sites went down (not just gaming sites), 3 other forums that I'm a part of all went down within a day or two of each other.

Apparently it was some kind of "bot" attack (according to these other sites) ?  I have no idea what these bot things are, so I don't understand the technicalities behind it all.  I don't know if the attcks were on individual sites or host servers... I'm assuming host servers since it would have a bigger impact on lots of sites at the same time.

But each site took anywhere from 1-4 days to get themselves back up and running.

WOB was not alone in this crash... apparently many others were effected too.

>:(

Nilla

Just for information! It's nothing I need to see "fixed". I have noticed a couple of changes when you write something:
1. The button for "save as draft" is gone.
2. You can no longer address another member with @name.
3. It takes longer to load an entry and to navigate on this web page.

And again, The Big Chihuahua; thanks for providing this web page and working so hard to solve the trouble, totally out of your control!

Admin

Quote from: ancientmuse on May 04, 2018, 01:40:20 AM
FYI

This site went down right around the same time that a whole bunch of other sites went down (not just gaming sites), 3 other forums that I'm a part of all went down within a day or two of each other.

Apparently it was some kind of "bot" attack (according to these other sites) ?  I have no idea what these bot things are, so I don't understand the technicalities behind it all.  I don't know if the attcks were on individual sites or host servers... I'm assuming host servers since it would have a bigger impact on lots of sites at the same time.

But each site took anywhere from 1-4 days to get themselves back up and running.

WOB was not alone in this crash... apparently many others were effected too.

>:(

Good to know!  That will help in the review and maybe I can go to the host about it as well.

Admin

Quote from: Nilla on May 04, 2018, 02:17:31 AM
Just for information! It's nothing I need to see "fixed". I have noticed a couple of changes when you write something:
1. The button for "save as draft" is gone.
2. You can no longer address another member with @name.
3. It takes longer to load an entry and to navigate on this web page.

And again, The Big Chihuahua; thanks for providing this web page and working so hard to solve the trouble, totally out of your control!

Thank you, I will get those fixed today!