News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Blacksmith mod (work in progress)

Started by Oneiros, September 21, 2014, 12:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oneiros

Hi all, I'm currently working on a mod to the blacksmith system. The aim is to add more depth, progression and difficulty to the game. Feedback would be appreciated :)

Resources
- Coal has been replaced with Charcoal
- Surface iron deposits will be replaced with Copper. Iron can now only be found in mines
- Added Tin - small amounts can only be acquired through trading

Buildings
- Charcoal Maker's Hut: Consumes timber and produces charcoal. Detracts happiness, so build away from cities.
- Tool Shed: Produces Wood/Stone tools only (this is one type of tool, not two)
- Tool Maker (Blacksmith): Added Copper and Bronze tools
- Mine: Produces Iron only. Bronze tools are now required to build a mine
- Tailor, Tool Maker, School, Trading Post: Iron is no longer required to build these

Tool Maker Production
- Copper Tools: Copper + Wood
- Bronze Tools: Copper + Tin + Charcoal + Wood
- Iron Tools: Iron + Charcoal + Wood
- Steel Tools: Iron + 2x Charcoal + Wood

Misc
- Hard difficulty: You now start with a much smaller amount of tools.

So start off with a tool shed. This building is small and fast to build. You can pump out lots of wood/stone tools but they wear out quickly.
When you first build a blacksmith, the only option is copper tools. Once you start trading, you can import some tin. Around this time, build a charcoal maker's hut. Then you can make bronze tools, which are much stronger. Don't take too long because your supply of surface copper will eventually run out (but you can trade for more).
With bronze tools you can create an iron mine. Then you can start making iron and steel tools, and building the larger buildings like church, town hall etc.

RedKetchup

alot of building require iron, even the actual blacksmith, if none on the map, then will need to make a mine that require alot of stone.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

It's a very interesting idea. In many ways the early years of a town are the most interesting, and this is a way to prolong that and make it more difficult to break out.

So are you proposing in your mod to make iron no longer available through trade?

Pangaea

Sounds very interesting. Woul be nice to not be so reliant on trade though. Sounds like some resources will only be available through trade. But if others can make it, shouldn't we also be able to?

It does sound great though, and more complexity and depth is good.

Nilla

Sounds interesting to me too, but I think too, that the trade possibilities must be considered. If you can take a shortcut on this tool-development; buying the more advanced tools, it has no real meaning.

Fellow Villager

I like it very much...the only thing I don'tlike is the deathof coal....maybe you can unify coal and charcoal can't you?

Oneiros

Thanks for the feedback! I hadn't considered the impact of trading. I might have to come up with a different plan, I'll post an update once I do.

rkelly17

Historically, the Iron Age followed after the Bronze Age and cultures who learned how to make iron tools and weapons generally stopped making bronze tools and weapons. Is your mod idea taking Banished back to the stone age and then having the settlement moving up from stone age to bronze age to iron age to modern times? That would be a most interesting mod, but I'm not sure how it would happen apart from changing some now-inaccessible game mechanics (such as traders bringing tools which the settlement can't currently make). It might work if the citizens were, say, North American aboriginal people who had industrial modernity thrust on them by outsiders. Since Banished does not have a tech/research aspect and since Luke specifically wanted to create a game where every building is available throughout the game (unlike, say, the Civ series), it may be difficult to add on something that assumes technological development over time.

I apologize if I'm being pedantic. I made my living as a historian for 30 years and sometimes I just can't help myself.

Denis de la Rive

You have some interesting ideas, but making trading a must, and restricting access to building is a tricky thing, you must also consider that by changing some of the basics you will make it harder to integrate your mod with others. If you change the mines for example, then all mine mods will clash, same with other buildings, and coal, forcing choices on the end user, this could kill your appeal. It might be more interesting to add buildings and resources than change what could be considered essential aspects of the game. Following RL rather than the physics of the game world is a trap that can lead to trouble. I hope this advice help you make this into a must have mod. :)