News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Kid - Yard Cover V1.4

Started by kid1293, April 17, 2017, 12:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QueryEverything

Haha, that's awesome :)  It's like an Asian inspired mushroom cap :)  Which is not a complaint, and looks quite like what we talked about in the Bits n Pieces mod thread :)
You have come up with some strange looking pieces, and this is no different - unique, functional, some quirk, excellent :D  It's good to be different!!

Quote from: kid1293 on May 24, 2017, 06:41:11 AM
I post a test picture of the strangest shed I have built.

@Abandoned liked my many roofs and @QueryEverything wanted it special.
I plan to put it here in Yard Covers. It's a Covered Shed.

Attachments and other options
It will have Yard Cover's 7 roofs and different walls.

There are now -  General / Pasture / Workplace storage.
It's really only 1x1+road but with an overhang all around.

I hope it gives ideas for added decorations and new workplaces.

It will have Yard Cover's 7 roofs and different walls.
I don't mind the worn look, I use it a lot around the city centre, but I have become quite partial for the pasture area to use the brown straw (??) one.  Check image - BUT - that's not to say I won't love this, because it's the core one I do use anyway in the city - but, for a regional area, perhaps the straw? 
(No, I won't ask you to do all of them, I'm grateful enough.  :)

-----
Quote from: kid1293 on May 24, 2017, 06:50:11 AM
Yes, it is not my usual shed. :)

One question - Do you people mind if the mod grows in size?
Right now the textures are small and optimized.
I plan to use larger textures for covers and storage.
They should (I hope) look better in game. Will test.

I'm all for revamping texture quality for ingame usage, I do like optimized textures, but where a good balance can be found, I support it. 
It is ridiculously hard to find that happy medium, and if you find it in a larger texture for the storage, then I'm ok with that. 

Quote from: kid1293 on May 24, 2017, 07:57:05 AM
Well, a shout-out to be concidered!

OK,OK, I release a separate 'strange shed' and leave the Yard Covers.
More work, but it's all for the domestic peace. :)

Hmmm, I call this place 'home'. Must have been the sun...

It's entirely up to you how you want to release it - I think it makes sense that it is with the Yard Covers, after all, it is a Yard Cover, personally, I'm happy for it to be here in the YC mod, because it just makes sense.
Alternatively, you could add it to the Bits n Pieces mod as a companion to the fenceless pastures, which is what inspired this in the first place ;)

Especially given that you only have to maintain 1 mod, and as you are inspired to add things, or change textures etc, you only have to do 1 mod - not 2, it makes logic a winner :)

We have overcast weather today, you can have your sun (originally wrote as sin, lol) I will keep the clouds, and as such my Bannies dry haha!  :)

------
Quote from: RedKetchup on May 24, 2017, 09:46:53 AMis he fishing in the shed ??
Quote from: kid1293 on May 24, 2017, 10:04:15 AM
I'm not going to tell what he is doing in the shed.
All I can say is, he is out of the sun.

"That's me in the corner, losing my religion."  R.E.M.

*snorted my gruel* Oh, that's funny :) @kid1293 & @RedKetchup ;) ;)
-----

Quote from: elemental on May 24, 2017, 03:55:58 PM
@kid1293 if you feel that something is an improvement and you personally like it, then add it to your main mod.  If someone doesn't like it they don't have to update. They also have the option of not building it...  ::)
;) @elemental  *drop the mic*

Quote from: ancientmuse on May 24, 2017, 04:58:07 PM
Quote from: elemental on May 24, 2017, 03:55:58 PM
@kid1293 if you feel that something is an improvement and you personally like it, then add it to your main mod.  If someone doesn't like it they don't have to update. They also have the option of not building it...  ::)

That's all fine and dandy except for the fact all of these little afterthought additions to the main mods causes the dreaded "save game" problems.... meaning that every time there's some little addition to a mod, then your saved towns are no longer any good and you have to start over from scratch.

It makes more sense to have these little add-ons as separate mods so that they can get added without wrecking/crashing saved towns.
{{snipped}

In a nutshell:  I (for one) don't want to have to start new games constantly because I can't resist all these fantastic little additions the modders are coming up with !

I want them all dammit !!

And any given day I would agree with you, if it was tweaks to existing things - then wait for a larger push out from the modder to then update, unless it's a game changer, or there is a massive bug in the code, then waiting 1 or 2 updates before downloading makes sense.

From what I understand @ancientmuse as long as an existing building in game has not been changed, then a new mod version shouldn't break a current map.  In this case, adding a new shelter to the mod - won't break the map because it has never been built in game.
Now, had it been a change to an existing cover (say the 5 tile became a 5x3), or a file had a new name etc - then there are problems, but (and I'm welcome to be proven wrong by the modders ;) ) in this case, I don't think the addition of a building and no other changes, would cause any problems.

But, your sentiment is understood :)  If, there were crash worthy changes :)
And, hopefully this comes across correctly, for those that are worried that it's a game changer, waiting for a new map, or waiting to try it - it's ok to wait :)  Because it's not a bug fix, I wouldn't see it as urgent, if you are worried about your map stability, so holding off won't be a problem - unless, of course you really want it "now", in which case, save it all, and roll that dice ;)  haha.  (not mean spirited, I hope it came across that way )

I have saved and deleted too many maps to count ...  new mods = new adventures :D
-----
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

elemental

@Abandoned the language you used earlier directed at Query was just plain rude. It's Kid's mod. He did the work, so he should be able to update it any which way he pleases. So to quote you, if you don't like that then you are also welcome to make your own mods.

As far as save game issues go... nobody is forcing anybody to update straight away. Nobody is forced to update at all. So in the particular case there are no issues with saved games.

Paeng

Quote from: ancientmuse on May 24, 2017, 04:58:07 PMThat's all fine and dandy except for the fact all of these little afterthought additions to the main mods causes the dreaded "save game" problems...

Plus it leads to a kind of "creeping featuritis"... I feel it's much better to step back once in a while and let the modders do their job, specially on their WiPs.

All of us have many ideas and wishes - I'd rather see all of them collected in fresh threads, away from WiPs, with time for the modders to sort through them, get fresh inspiration, start them off on other lines of development, whenever they feel like it, and where they feel it fits in.

Piling all sorts of new things into running developments --make this 12 inches higher, that 6 inches lower, but with three new textures, compatible with this but not with that, oh and there should be a whole range of xxx added, and and and-- it all gets kinda hectic once in a while. And it appears to create "bad blood" as well...  :(

* Some probably feel now that I'm out of my place with these remarks, but sorry, that's just how I feel... so don't put on shoes that don't fit you, okay?

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

The Pilgrim

Why doesn't everybody calm down and eat some fruit or something.

brads3

Quote from: kid1293 on May 24, 2017, 10:04:15 AM
I'm not going to tell what he is doing in the shed.
All I can say is, he is out of the sun.

"That's me in the corner, losing my religion."  R.E.M.

i thought banished was "X"rated for a minute. i see we dropped back to R or M rated still though. it aint safe here tonight.

ancientmuse, i recommend doing similar to what i did. play as long as you dare with any maps you have before upgrading either to the 1.07 or the individual mods. then load what you want and play from there. we can go back and upload more once modders are caught up and make fixes to get rid of bugz. when you do download you will be downloading more at a time this way. don't feel you have to keep pace with everything or anyone else. i am waiting for the pine update and i might hold until BT's new NAT DIV upgrade as well.

brads3

Quote from: Paeng on May 24, 2017, 05:50:18 PM
Quote from: ancientmuse on May 24, 2017, 04:58:07 PMThat's all fine and dandy except for the fact all of these little afterthought additions to the main mods causes the dreaded "save game" problems...

Plus it leads to a kind of "creeping featuritis"... I feel it's much better to step back once in a while and let the modders do their job, specially on their WiPs.

All of us have many ideas and wishes - I'd rather see all of them collected in fresh threads, away from WiPs, with time for the modders to sort through them, get fresh inspiration, start them off on other lines of development, whenever they feel like it, and where they feel it fits in.

Piling all sorts of new things into running developments --make this 12 inches higher, that 6 inches lower, but with three new textures, compatible with this but not with that, oh and there should be a whole range of xxx added, and and and-- it all gets kinda hectic once in a while. And it appears to create "bad blood" as well...  :(

* Some probably feel now that I'm out of my place with these remarks, but sorry, that's just how I feel... so don't put on shoes that don't fit you, okay?

i agree with you. that is why i say i am surprised by how many new mods there has been in the last few months. i did expect us players to step back and let the modders work with all the changes. the limit flag changes was 1 but at the same time we had the community icon find also. i do not envy them at all. they do put up with so much. i notice TOM did step away. he came and gave us an updated NORTH mod but that was for 1.06. i wonder how many beers KID has to have nowdays so he doesn't throw us and his comp out  a window.

The Pilgrim

Kid prefers scotch. Oban in particular IIRC

Discrepancy

I've been partial to some Glengoyne lately. I still always enjoy a peaty islay whisky though...

kid1293

Actually I left Oban and followed Pilgrim's choice - Talisker.
I don't regret it.
But right now it's morning and another day in this kindergarten,
so it will be coffee. :)

ancientmuse

I'm partial to Crown Royal myself... with a small splash of gingerale for colour.  It's my go-to drink when I'm in the mood to relax.

But nothing goes down with a barbeque'd steak in the summer season like a nice ice cold beer... Keiths Red Amber Ale from Nova Scotia is my bubbly of choice... nummies !

;D

Abandoned

@kid1293  after more thought I think you are correct that the new weird shed belongs with the coverings mod rather than anywhere else since it has the same roofs and walls. However I do think it might be best to wait, until we find out what other changes may need to be made when Luke updates.   :)

kid1293

Not only that, @Abandoned .
I am not sure how to go further with this.
Should I have sheds all over with oversized roofs?
1x1 2x2 3x3 10x12  ???

I leave it for now. If there is anything - it is a 1x1 roof only
with all textures and some nice touch to it. I'm stuck with
my old design, but maybe something, someday will show me
how to make a nice cover that can be used 'anywhere'.

It almost has to be a lean-to which fits most buildings.
And it has to be able to stand free.
And... it has to be stackable without glitches.

But I agree, not now.

Abandoned

@kid1293 the covers and the matching sheds are just fine as is, the sizes and textures are great.  In future if you come up with a new design, I would think to make it a new version altogether instead of an update so this original remains as is.  It's a really great set.  :)

QueryEverything

Quote from: kid1293 on May 25, 2017, 09:18:47 AM

Not only that, @Abandoned .
I am not sure how to go further with this.
Should I have sheds all over with oversized roofs?
1x1 2x2 3x3 10x12  ???

I leave it for now. If there is anything - it is a 1x1 roof only
with all textures and some nice touch to it. I'm stuck with
my old design, but maybe something, someday will show me
how to make a nice cover that can be used 'anywhere'.

It almost has to be a lean-to which fits most buildings.
And it has to be able to stand free.
And... it has to be stackable without glitches.

But I agree, not now.

Oops @kid1293  That gave me an idea ...  what about shop front awnings (think a walk through Paris), with the brace in the diagonal space between the vertical brace, and the horizontal raised section.  There you would need something to weight it down on the base, so, either a 'foot' to the vertical beam, or something similar.

It would then be able to fit up against buildings, and storage barns etc (in fact, do 2 versions - 1 a 'floating awning, so that there is no ground requirements, slips up against, and is 'attached' to the building & 2, the ground built version).  You could do a whole new theme with fabrics or as the solid 7 you now have and would certainly fit the existing theme of yard coverings.  Especially if the same roofs are being used.

And you know I'd never say no to new sheds :D  hahaha ;)  Or the 1x1 idea ;)   

I was just thinking that this new one you made yesterday (day before) would also look good in the middle of some fields. not just pastures.  I'm going to work on that today.  :) 
I've been playing around with a 10x10 & 10x20 pasture layout, will post some pics with how it turned out later :)

I did a quick look on turbosquid to see if they had any I thought of :) 
As I've often said, I'd be happy to sponsor a project if any of these inspired you.  Hubby has spent enough there over the years, I may as well too :)
https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-model/awning
https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-model-awning-polys-modelled/706406
https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-awning-canopy-blind/846545
https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3ds-max-awning/772818

These wrought iron ones are sweet, I adore them - but, what would they go on??  And perhaps need a new .pkm "the ornate" ;)  maybe ;)  Or where they fit, is where they are meant to be :)

I'm thinking something a bit more upmarket, something that may fit in with a RowHouse building. 
But, then if used with wood textures, they could also be used out in the forestry. 
https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-model-of-wrought-iron-awning/811463
https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-model-wrought-iron-awning/811477
https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/wrought-iron-awning-max/811464

Maybe a lean-to of some form, for food or luxuries??
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

kid1293

Thanks for the ideas!
The second link looks nice. Just fastened to the wall and 'universal'.
It's all in the choice of fabric if you want them modern or medieval.

Don't think I just rush through this and forget.
I think it is a good idea, but as I said - not now.

I agree, the iron wrought ones look really classy.
I can think of them as a permanent part of a building, over a balcony or
something. Sadly they get lost in the game with that small scale.