News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Will be back ! Suggestions made* !

Started by RedKetchup, November 03, 2016, 03:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheOtherMicheal

Just for the information, both omelette and quiche are not actually modern, they are very old recipes.
The earlier form of omelette, known as alumete or alamette (and other spellings), was not fluffy like modern omelettes and is recorded as being made in Paris as early as the year 1393. However versions of an omelette like food are recorded as being consumed by people in the Roman era - so omelette definitely falls into the medieveal era.
Quiche appears to have originated in the medieval kingdom of Lothringen (a region later known as Lorraine) and was an open pie made from bread dough with a filling of egg, cream custard (spicy rather than sweet) and smoked bacon/pork bits.

What can I say, I like both of these foods and I'm an amateur history nerd!  :o  ;D

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

QueryEverything

Oh wow, thank you @TheOtherMicheal :)
Hubby & I were talking about this last night, over here nearly every bakery we go to have a Quiche (and for those sweeties, the custard tart, ohhhhh myyyyyy ....  no hints @RedKetchup (hahaha), I wouldn't be suggesting a good 'ole Custard Tart be made for us sweetling addicts, haha!!) ...  back to history ...

Hubby is Welsh, so we know a fair amount of local fare and Pasties etc, and the meatpie, and we've looked at French recipes previously, I knew about the "Quiche Lorraine", but, not about the omelette origins, thank you, that's great info. 

Now ... what came first, *cheeky ;)
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

TheOtherMicheal

For a little bit more information, if I remember correctly, a webpage about medieval recipes I read a few weeks/months ago mentioned that the earliest forms of omelette in medieval Britain were simply a mix of scrambled eggs and small pieces of meat - really simple recipe especially if you're like me and regularly screw up making omelettes!  ;D

QueryEverything

I'm like that when it comes to Frittata, put everything in the pan, crack some eggs in, swoosh through and yummo.  Don't over think it, it all ends up the same way ...  hahaha!! 
Impossible pie, just like a quiche or frittata for the end result, just a way of getting it done without having to pre-bake or blind bake anything.  Eggs.  Glorious eggs.

I would hate to give up bacon (if I ever had to), but eggs ...  nope, they are far too handy!!
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Abandoned

@TheOtherMicheal that is some interesting information, thanks.  I did not know the French omelet was that old.  Surprised to hear about the quiche though. There aren't many old fashioned bakeries around here anymore, they did not serve food. Really old shops were big front rooms of the owner's house, mostly they lived upstairs from their shop.   All the major food stores have bakery departments with the standard bread, rolls, pies, cakes, and cookies and special treats.  There are some pie shops and donut shops also that serve coffee and pancake places too.  Getting hungry now, kitchen is a lot closer, faster food! :)

TheOtherMicheal

@Abandoned  you are quite right though that a bakery wouldn't have sold this sort of food, in the medieval era they had enough trouble just keeping the supply of bread flowing because it was such an integral part of the medieval diet.
Unfortunately the way food was prepared in the medieval era is something we can't replicate in Banished so we have to have plenty of specialized shops for it in game instead. In that time people made these types of foods at their homes and if they had enough to sell, it was typically sold from a ground-floor window in their house - the original drive-thru (or walk-thru in this case). As you mentioned, if a shop did sell food, it was typically a home & shop with all the preparation done on the premises and then sold in the front room.

Medieval food can be quite interesting, they had combinations that we consider unusual and even bizarre in some cases. For example, and here's two for @QueryEverything ...
1. Rique-Manger, a dish of eggs and apples. For the curious, recipe here http://www.medievalcookery.com/recipes/riquemanger.html
2. Caudell, a wine thickened with eggs as a drink or as a sauce. Again for the curious, recipe here http://www.godecookery.com/goderec/grec22.htm

For anyone looking for more foods from that era there are lots of websites now detailing medieval recipes but I typically go back to these ones the most: -
http://medievalcookery.com/recipes/
http://www.medievalcuisine.com/Euriol/my-recipes
http://www.godecookery.com/goderec/goderec.htm

Abandoned

Thanks @TheOtherMicheal  I have lots of recipes "just like mother or grandmother use to make" a pinch of this, a pinch of that, but the recipes aren't that old  :) Very interesting, thanks.

RedKetchup

sorry i ve been kinda away for last 20hrs... got to get rid of a worm (virus) that afftected me yesterday... everything ended up with a good 8 hrs in "rescue disk mode" :S
so i was at the PC ... but not in windows lol

i still managed to do the corner / 3 way / 4 way before i jumped on that worm :P

RedKetchup

well.... i can say arches arent easy to do LOL

RedKetchup

Hawk

Shouldn't that arch be a little taller? You know, for the horses.  ;) Just kidding

Seriously though, that's a great looking wall. ;D
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

TheOtherMicheal

Wow @RedKetchup you had to clean a virus from your computer AND you made these wall segements? You have been very, very busy!  ;D
I agree with @Hawk it does look great.

RedKetchup

Quote from: TheOtherMicheal on February 22, 2017, 05:10:13 PM
Wow @RedKetchup you had to clean a virus from your computer AND you made these wall segements? You have been very, very busy!  ;D
I agree with @Hawk it does look great.
all the time i lost to watch anti-virus last night... i would have finished this set :D