News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Nilla-Tobinsvilitz and Windthorp, more mod testing

Started by Nilla, July 29, 2016, 05:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

Thanks @kid1293 . Ok, it could be everything. But what? It should be something nice and suitable. What could Anders and Ella build if they want some special friends for their settlement?^^

A billboard with "Welcome" like on your picture could it be, why not. I think if we include the immigration function in a church, it will be a unique... not good.

kid1293

I agree about the church, but what about a well?
On a semi-open space and fully functional against fires?

brads3

the colonial set has a meeting house for a town hall and adds a statue for nomads. couldnt a meeting house or town center b set by itself to do nomads? CC has a small "town arrival",its a lamp post with rowboat.doesnt help much if u are landlocked thou. i do think a meeting hall-church or town center back years ago was the multi-puurpose building towns did use.  is it possable to do like a hotel n stable set,that way u have a small boarde=ing house and the stable piece is for the nomad travelers?

kid1293

Of course you can have nomads at the Town Hall by itself!
But then you have them running all game long.
It's a nice thing to be able to stop them from coming.

Here is another view to consider.
The well I talked about has really worked out well. :)
I made a file with several %-limits to the wells.
The nomads come every year - second month (Spring)
@Tom Sawyer , @Nilla - This way you can decide how many
and when they come.
In the first picture I have 96 citizens and the wells
are designed for 10-20-50-100 % nomads based on
those 96 persons. It works fine. (Haven't tested 200%. tomorrow...)

In the second picture I accepted all nomads and
burned the town.  :o
You can see that the wells are still providing water
to put the fire out.

Tom Sawyer

Cool ideas!

Technically the wells are a perfect solution. My first thought was ... The citizens dig deep holes in the ground. And it comes out something. They crawl up the walls of the well. To infiltrate the human ... Ok, too much imagination. ;D

A hotel with stables would be perfect for a mod in the Wild West. Later.^^

This town arrival in CC is really nice with the boat and the lantern. It can also be built on the dry and it has the townhall interface. This I would remove. My favorite at the moment is something like that. A pier for immigrants to build on the river. It could be additional to the town hall for more immigration if wanted (for example in the early game) or different kinds of it to control immigration like with these wells. And to separate it from the town hall. I agree with Kid, that immigration should be separeted. And the pier would not need the trading post, if it is replaced by specialized docks...

kid1293

For your information - The 200% works too.
111 citizens in town.

Nilla

The different wells seem good to me, although that big building ground was more funny. :D But when you ask @Tom Sawyer :
QuoteWhat could Anders and Ella build if they want some special friends for their settlement?^^

I would answer: A house to live in. Why not a house with these different numbers, like the wells from @kid1293?I think there are mods with boardinghouses and inns, that attracts nomads, some mods like that were made right at the beginning.

Another option to get a faster start in a real time game would be to have many people right from the start. As I said to @kid1293 as we spoke our secret language, suitable to the Nordic theme ;) it could be made in all difficulties. About 10 families, a barn full of supply and a stockpile full of buildingmaterials would be easy to start up, but if they had nothing; this would maybe be a real impossible start.

What about my new real time game. I played a lot yesterday. I have got a nasty summer cold, so I can't do much other things than sit at my computer, sneeze and sniffle. The game is getting better as the population grows, not slow and boring anymore. I still play most in 10x speed but from time to time I go down to 5X, a good sign for me. I took some batches of nomads, but not too many. I want to hard test the blacksmiths, so I don't want too many uneducated.

Some questions and suggestions popped up during the game. I'll explain to the pictures.

First picture
This time I store 500 daler and 500 penningar in each port. The rest should be stored in the barns. But why do they appear at the markets? No sense in having them carried around to all markets. I have the tradefix loaded. No crashes! Steel is carried to the port (I suppose iron and coal too, if I want to sell any). But there's nothing at the markets. If you make your industrial markets, it's good, but here it's a little bit annoying.

Second picture
This small area up in the northwest corner is too small for a forest, so I will build a small mining-blacksmith village here. I'm really looking forward to your "lanthandel", @Tom Sawyer. Normally there's no need for a big marketplace in this small area, but I have no choice, if I want to keep a decent health. The place is flooded with proteins and even people who live in a radius of a marketplace, use "protein barns" and have only fish/meat/eggs in their homes.

I sell steel, steeltools and Nordic coats for cash. I also sell proteins for other food. The reason I sell steel, together with steel tools is that the merchant who want to buy the tools brings too little cash. I can seldom sell all tools and if I can, no clothes. So, unless I build another trading port, and that's too soon, there's no use to increase the production of tools very much. Steel is a good way to sell something to the merchant who only buys rawmaterials.

The settlement grows. I want it sustainable. That's the reason I'm "behind" in building houses.  In this mod young people normally leave school at 15 and could move out as soon as they are adults, but this is annoying; they don't move together until they are 16. There are a lot of young people, who want to move out, but this 15 year old occupies this house alone, until she's 16 than she will get a mate. It was similar in the 1:1 mod, but you never see this in a vanilla game. @kid1293 something to think about in your real time mod.

Third picture
The 15-year old single girl might have something to do with this: This family lives far away from a school. Still the children are educated with 15. In a vanilla game, it would have taken a few more years (I have seen students with 24). I guess @torgonius, that you somehow have taken the influence of the distance from school away. I don't really like that, you don't have to care about, where you place the schools, and the consequence with the 15 years old singles occupying houses is bad too.

The distance  between the children is good in this mod. Even if it was a bit boring at the beginning, it now works very well. It's not hard (at least at the moment) to get a nice linear growth. I will try to keep it this way for some more time, than I will try to reduce the growth. That might be a little bit tricky with the Nordic houses. :)

kid1293

@Nilla - Short question - I have right now end of school just after 14.
If I lower the marriage age to 14 they will move together immediately?
Or up the school end? I'm getting there but it is a lot of experimenting
since I only got basics from Gordon.

Nilla

I have no idea. I suppose that I know less than you about such things, but I can guess, that they will not move together until they have left school. At least not two students. In the vanilla game a student might move to an adult person, if there are no adults (and sometimes also if there are adults, especially if they are long time students with 20 or so). This is quite unpleasant if he/she moves to a place far away from the school. But I have never seen a student occupying a house him/herself or together with a fellow student, so I suppose it will work that way with your mod, too. But why don't you increase the time in school? I think that would be better than a reduced marrage age.

kid1293

Have increased study time, and kept marriage at 15.
I'm not there yet. I have found a value I know nothing about
but it can be that 'required education' that sometime makes
them stay in school for a long time.

The main problem is - when I update, something triggers
all to be uneducated. Found that out when people started
to go hungry. So I picked up debug and set all to educated...
Wow, almost twenty educated young ones.
Fool me - I started building houses and now when I quit
I had many houses with one 10-11 year educated child
in each. 5 years alone in that house. Hopeless.

I start over tomorrow. Time for a late dinner and then
listen to some good music.

Tom Sawyer

@Nilla Get well! Maybe not a good idea to hang around in a harsh nordic game at -20 degrees with a cold. ;)

This damn marketplace. Money should not be there but iron. The village shop is done. We can test it soon. And merchants will bring more cash in the next version.

These annoying young singles, don't want to get married immediately.^^ Let them have some fun for a year.

Your population graph looks good. Very stable. It seems its more a problem with 4 kids in the cottages than an advantage. We can reduce it.

@kid1293 I played around with these values too. I think the required education is the same like required work. Technically student is a profession and they need in vanilla 400 of it. With a short way to school it's over after a year. So it should be increased in realtime.

kid1293

About required education. I figured that out too.

but   float _educationTimeLength is not as the other values.
It is not years,months,evenly divisible or logical as I see it.

Initially it's 3 and gives 1.3-1.4 year in school
I set it to 9 and get about 4 years. That's OK

with    int _requiredEducation proportional (initially 400 - now 1200)
and close to school it matches.

What is    float _educationWorkLength ?
I just kept it 10 and it works.

@Nilla - Have you caught your cold from one of your Bannies? :)

Nilla

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on August 13, 2016, 02:34:43 PM
@Nilla Get well! Maybe not a good idea to hang around in a harsh nordic game at -20 degrees with a cold. ;)

Thank you, I suppose I should rather start a desert CC-game, but I like this better, so I will continue my sneezing! ;)

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on August 13, 2016, 02:34:43 PM
Your population graph looks good. Very stable. It seems its more a problem with 4 kids in the cottages than an advantage. We can reduce it.
I would rather like to keep it that way. If you play a real time game, it's faster at the beginning. We need that. Later, if you don't want a fast growth anymore, it makes the game a bit more difficult, but it's still good manageable. You have to think a bit more, and plan how many houses you build a bit more careful. That's good, too. In a "normal time" game, it doesn't matter much.

Quote from: kid1293 on August 13, 2016, 03:31:19 PM
but   float _education TimeLength is not as the other values.
It is not years,months,evenly divisible or logical as I see it.

Initially it's 3 and gives 1.3-1.4 year in school
I set it to 9 and get about 4 years. That's OK

with    int _requiredEducation proportional (initially 400 - now 1200)
and close to school it matches.

What is    float _educationWorkLength ?
I just kept it 10 and it works.

@Nilla - Have you caught your cold from one of your Bannies? :)

One of these values has probably something to do with the distance between home ans school. In this game it's obvious, that you can take that influence away. I would leave it the way it is in the vanilla game.

And no, this village had no signs of influenza. They were unusually healthy. As far as I remember, a few were ill once; mumps I think, and I'm sure I had that as a child! ;)

I played to year 92 yesterday. 400 inhabitants. It works fine. The map is more or less full. There are room for maybe 10 more houses, some trout fisher and mini barns, if I don't want to "steal" any forest ground. And I really don't want that. You can see, there are not much logs. I even bought a few a while ago. I will not order logs, but from now on, buy as many as the merchant bring. I also have to cut the tool production and instead increase the steel production.

I have built a second trading port. Mostly to get rid of tools and steel. It would also have worked with only one but more comfortable this way. I have decided to have a store of food of about 100 000. It would not have been hard to increase it, but in that case, I would have needed more barns and there's no room for that.

I have just discovered one very overpowered thing to produce. I will not use more than this one building, it in this game, but I think, that it would not have been very hard to increase the population to the double, if you use it to the extreme! Look at picture 2 and see if you find out. ;)

The population growth is still nice and steady, but I expect the graph to flatten out soon. I have returned to the 10x speed now. There's not much to do except trading. I would like to autotrade, but I don't really dare: There's too much manual work needed; I don't want to buy too much food but enough of each category. I don't want to sell all tools and all steel but enough of it, to prevent the stores to be overfull. I want to sell mutton, eggs and chicken, but I don't want, that the traders walk all over the place, to pick up a few eggs, while there are no steel in the port. We will see, maybe I make a try, if it gets boring.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Nilla on August 14, 2016, 06:31:23 AM
I have just discovered one very overpowered thing to produce. I will not use more than this one building, it in this game, but I think, that it would not have been very hard to increase the population to the double, if you use it to the extreme! Look at picture 2 and see if you find out. ;)

I find the tavern with overpowered Weißbier production. :)

It needs a change. Actually I want some typical nordic kinds of alcohol. I know in your country cider is very popular, made from apples or pears. Beer of course but not from wheat... Only Bavarians make this dishwater.^^ And what about blueberries? You have a lot of them in your woods and I increased the amount of blueberry bushes in the summery forests. What do you make from it? Schnaps? And from potatoes... cheap hooch? ;D

Nilla

Of cause, you found it @Tom Sawyer.  Each Weissbier; a profit of 5 and you make 450-500 each year at eachin one brewery. I sometimes say; I'm 1/4 Bavarian. Not by blood, but I lived 1/4 of my life in Bavaria, but I never learned to drink Weissbier. ;)

You are right, cider is popular today, but I think it's quite new. I can't even remember, that we drank it in the 1970s, as I was young. Beer is classical, I think we always drank it. As long as we grew potatoes, we made "schnaps" from it and from grain, too. Than we all heard from the mead, drunk by the vikings. As far as I know it's a honey wine but I don't think it was very common, at least not after we became Christians, around year 1000. ;)

One thing I can remember from my childhood, is something called "svagdricka". My great uncle and aunt ran a farm in very old fashioned way, until the early 1960s. They worked the fields with horses, no tractor. They made a lot of things themselves, as example; separated the cream from the milk and made butter and they brewed "svagdricka". It's some kind of dark, quite sweet beer (we sometimes buy it for Christmas). I suppose, it's not very high on alcohol "svagdricka" means weak beer, google says, small beer. But it do contain alcohol. Children weren´t allowed to drink it. Instead we got something called "enebärsdricka", that my great aunt made. It looked the same, but was made from juniper berries (Wacholderbeeren in German) and I suppose alcohol free.

I have never heard of any alcoholic beverages from blueberries, but I'm sure it's possible.

I saw one more thing, that I forgot to say: the merchant who sells building materials and only want coin, also take ale as payment. I'm not sure it's intentional.

Maybe I should stop testing things. I see a little something or ask a question, than you got a bunch of new great ideas .............. the next version will never be done! I want these new great buildings and the new harder trade values soon!  ;) ;)