News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Okay, so what DOES the market circle mean?!?

Started by irrelevant, June 28, 2014, 04:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mariesalias

A good question, I have always just assumed part of it has to be in the circle.

RedKetchup

for me , those Inside the radius will go to the market, and those outside will go for... what is the nearest
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

salamander

That *is* a good question.  Are we playing (American) football where on the line is out, or soccer where on the line is in?  I can't see a huge advantage in detecting whether a house is entirely within the circle over whether it's only partially in the circle from the game's point of view, so I can't even try to predict which might be the case.  I do think, though, that looking at the house's orientation (ie, the door) would be unlikely just because that would seem to be more complicated for the game.

rkelly17

Gang! We may be over-thinking this in a Medieval theologian sort of way. You've no doubt hear the story of the group of Medieval theologians who were sitting around arguing about how many teeth a horse had. The boy cleaning the room piped up that they should just find a horse, open his mouth and count. He was immediately branded a heretic.

The only way to find out for sure is for some one of us--and I think we have a sufficient reserve of OCD types here--actually to follow some citizens around and see what they do.

salamander

Quote from: rkelly17 on July 05, 2014, 07:20:10 AM
The only way to find out for sure is for some one of us--and I think we have a sufficient reserve of OCD types here--actually to follow some citizens around and see what they do.

@rkelly17 -- you may just be our resident heretic.  But, I think you may be right, although I'm not sure I have the attention span to keep up with individual citizens.  ;)  Short of doing that, though, I don't see another way of getting any sort of answer.

mariesalias

I will try to remember to follow some around. I believe I have at least a couple houses partially in the circles. I also have some in over-lapping circles and i always wondered how the people decide which marketplace to go to.

Tomokatu

If they're like me, they stand still and twitch for 10 minutes, then go online and order in.
The older I get, the better I was

irrelevant

So here's a market puzzler: we know that vendors will go pretty much any distance to pick up what they decide they are going to get, but can vendors take resources from another market? Or do they only go to barns?

RedKetchup

i never happended to notice they took something from another market, i dont think so cause the game would end up to be locked in a Deadly loop
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

salamander

@irrelevant -- There was a thread some time ago on the SRS forum that you might be interested in:

From the SRS forum: Do vendors collect stock from other markets?

The upshot is that they do not collect from other markets.  At the time the thread was going on, I thought they did, and was bummed to find out otherwise.

mariesalias

I totally forgot. :\   Next time!

However, while expanding into a new area, I did notice that my laborers were not only warming up at other people's houses, but they were eating there, as well. Or appeared to be eating. Maybe that is part of the lunchbox functionality Luke put in. I watched a few laborers who were cold and hungry go to a nearby-ish house and warm up and then immediately eat, as well. (By warm up and eat, I mean the cold and hunger icons disappeared.)

I checked to make sure the houses they were going to were not theirs.

rkelly17

Quote from: salamander on July 06, 2014, 04:41:19 AM
@irrelevant -- There was a thread some time ago on the SRS forum that you might be interested in:

From the SRS forum: Do vendors collect stock from other markets?

The upshot is that they do not collect from other markets.  At the time the thread was going on, I thought they did, and was bummed to find out otherwise.

Traders will take from markets, but, as @salamander points out, vendors do not. Probably a good thing or markets would be going up and down as vendors grabbed stuff from each other.

salamander

Quote from: rkelly17 on July 06, 2014, 10:22:50 AM
Traders will take from markets, but, as @salamander points out, vendors do not. Probably a good thing or markets would be going up and down as vendors grabbed stuff from each other.

If there were some way to keep two (or more) markets from getting into some sort of transfer loop (as @RedKetchup pointed out), the ability of market vendors to take to/give from other markets would be nice.  It would certainly contribute to keeping resources spread throughout a town if markets were wisely placed.

rkelly17

Quote from: salamander on July 06, 2014, 11:25:51 AM
If there were some way to keep two (or more) markets from getting into some sort of transfer loop (as @RedKetchup pointed out), the ability of market vendors to take to/give from other markets would be nice.  It would certainly contribute to keeping resources spread throughout a town if markets were wisely placed.

I think that the loop would be almost inevitable, especially given the imperative to get the supplies from the nearest source. It reminds me of the 4 city endless commuter loop in SimCity 4.

slink

I think this would mean that barns and stockpiles are important at the boundaries between markets.  Vendors put goods as well as taking them.  Presumably they don't put to other markets, if they don't take from other markets.  They might pass things along from market to market through barns and stockpiles placed equidistantly between them.