Mod Request: Professions List generator/extractor (please read on)

Started by QueryEverything, April 29, 2017, 06:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paeng

Just a few thoughts (this alphabetical thing was discussed numerous times already)...

* Laborers, Builders and Farmers should stay on top of the list (first three)...

* Does the numbered list help to keep things alphabetical? I never really understood why this list always seems to get so screwed up...

* New additional professions will probably always need an update of this mod...

* When making different layouts of the profession window, it seems that on wide windows the listing goes from left to right first, then top to bottom (that's why I prefer a scrollable 1-column width)...

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

embx61

@QueryEverything

I have 6 added professions but I think you have them all as they are also in CC or NMT I believe.

Miller, Baker, Vintner, Tanner, Worker, Presser. That's it.

I changed with the last updates the Leatherworker to a Tanner and the Salt worker to a Worker.

HTH

BTW, you have missed the double Miller entry.
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

kid1293

@QueryEverything

I have some professions for you.
Added all I have (many are NMT/CC) but it is easy to sort out.

Format used:

Mod
----
game code - (StringTable entry) iconname.png

QueryEverything

Thank you folks :)  Making updates now, got 6hrs sleep, bowl of porridge & hubby at work.  Now, to find my glasses ... 
That's not going to happen - when living in 2 different places, things get left. I do get a free set from my health insurance, I should book in and get a set.  :) 

@embx61 thank you.  I found my count of Professions was wrong, but I couldn't see where it was, glad someone took a 2nd pass at it.  :D

@kid1293 thank you, I have updated my list with your info and matched your professions up.
The only thing that's different is that your Dairy icon matches what is on my screenshot, but the name is different - are you using a shared resources?   
Dairyworker is what I have on my shot, not Dairyman

@Paeng couldn't agree more with regards to your comments :)  Hence why I decided to tackle it head on this week.  :)
I think some people don't realise the sheer size of the list, and just hope a mod can be done, so I wanted to get as much background as possible and because I play with both BL & WoB mods, I figured I've had a large enough amount ingame to have a good starting place on this.  :)
Also too, it can be used as a reference for new mods down the track.  A new modder wants to create a new Profession, they check the list to see if it can match what we already have, or if a new one needs to be created.
I don't mind the amount of them, but there are a few doubled up, so working on that is a good place to start too. :)

As for the order:  Definitely Vanilla mods first, then the rest.  Both lists should be alphabetical, and definitely the common use ones first.  And given the little mod that is out there for the Laboror/Builder UI, then definitely keep those 2 in place as 1/2 (my goodness, could you imagine the fireball if I decided anything else, LOLOLOL)....   

Question though:  Farmer - #3, or alphabetical?  My game play is different from others, so I guess that's a question that should be asked.   So, let's put it out there (below).

I'm going to guess and say the numbered list does help keep them organised.  I wonder (not knowing the backend), are they also the 'key' for the Database, a database always needs a key column, does it act in this manner?

New Professions, if they are listed as the mod is posted, I will update the database, when it warrants an update, I ask (ie - if 3 release over the weekend, I'm not going to ask 1 per day, haha. ).  If someone does make this mod, if they make the source available, it may mean then that someone else can help maintain it, so it's not just on the one person.  (Unless they want it to be that way.)

Yeah, the UI is a little odd, I had wondered about that too :)

Thanks @Paeng for your feedback, happy to answer any other questions you have about the idea :)

@Abandoned this has been tossed around for months, not just here but also over on BL, and there was also a request over there for a list for a translation, all I'm doing is collating all the data and presenting it to the modders, @Discrepancy has been very gracious in offering to make the mod.  If you look at the data I have so far you will see that I clearly mark CC & Vanilla, and 3rd party professions, this may mean that the mod may become multi-purpose, or multiple mods get made.
I'm just happy to put the ground work in on this and get the list maintained.

I still need to check a couple of the WoB mods, I'm sure I have @RedKetchup correct, but need him to confirm, as too @Discrepancy :)

ps:  Discrepancy - (or others that know may know this) - I know that some game icons have colour (like the CT ones), can the UI boxes handle colour, can the Professions be colour coded? 
Not necessarily all the professions, we may have a rainbow), but certainly the Vanilla ones as different???

So, now the question for the masses:
After Laborer & Builder, should Farmer or Herdsman be next?  Gatherer?  Or, Make it alphabetical?
I just checked Vanilla and it's not alphabetical (gah!!)  So, does the Vanilla list go back to the original state?  Or Alphabetical.  Still separate from the remaining professions, which are handled separately. 

My OCD & standard practice would be to have it alphabetical, as that is what I'm proposing the remaining professions be (that's why the request is how it is in the first place, haha), but, the Vanilla ones ...  Feedback?!?!

I have added 2 screenshots as an example (only, no decisions have been made):
1)  Vanilla List Alphabetical
2)  Vanilla List with Laborer & Builder (1-2), then by alphabet
3)  Vanilla List in a proposed custom manner, then by alphabet

[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

QueryEverything

Crap, now I feel really bad ... @Tom Sawyer I completely forgot to tag you in the above for your list of Professions.
Whilst I use your standalone mods I haven't played with the North and as such I don't have it installed.

What are your Professions you have created, if any, that I can add to this database, please.
I am sooooooo sorry, I meant no offence at all, it didn't occur to me that the North may have new Professions, and I feel awkward now. :(

[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Discrepancy

Quote from: QueryEverything on April 30, 2017, 05:34:50 PM
ps:  Discrepancy - (or others that know may know this) - I know that some game icons have colour (like the CT ones), can the UI boxes handle colour, can the Professions be colour coded? 
Not necessarily all the professions, we may have a rainbow), but certainly the Vanilla ones as different???

Yes I can colour code the text if that is what you mean. Icons can also be whatever colour we make them.

... actually that might be quite difficult (the coloured text) now I take another look at the modkit. let me investigate that a bit more.

QueryEverything

I wanted to avoid 'rainbow', but had wondered about the Vanilla Professions at least, so there is some visual demarcation between the Vanilla & Other Professions :) 
It's not a must have, especially if it adds too much work, this will take enough time as it is :)

Discrepancy

Yeah, we will leave the colours alone for now. Let me get the code done, then we can get into the cosmetics :)

once I get the code up and running it won't take too long to change the display orders though, hypothetically we could have a few different variants of the mod: 'Player's Choice', 'ABC...', etc...

It is just making sure I capture all the right stringtexts from the mods to make the override work.

:)

RedKetchup

Redketchup:

iSeeFire : Fireworker
Ketchup Inc. : Baker
Red Creamery Main : Dairyman
GardenWall Utility: Botanist, Stableman, Worker
Old Bakery : Baker, Miller
TrainingCamp: Butcher
Warehouse Inc: Stocker
WoodButcher: Butcher
MedievalTown 2.0: Miller, Baker, Butcher, Archeologist, Beekeeper, Dairyman, Worker
Library(1.0.6): Librarian
Monastery(1.0.6): Monk
ChooChoo(1.0.6): TrainDriver, Merchant
SmugglersCave(1.0.6): Pirate
DecorativeItemPack(1.0.6): Botanist

i think thats all ^^ i made way too much lol

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

QueryEverything

@Discrepancy , Do you need the modkit for the actual coding part of the professions?If not, is it something I can do?
I write code on & off and if there is a foundation to it, I can certainly try and pick it up. I have notepad++ and would be interested to see it.
No, not my glasses though, not yet @embx61  hahaha  :)

If it needs the modkit, nope - I don't have it.  :( 

@RedKetchup thank you, I will update the files now :D  Great work, and no, not too many at all!! 

If we can find out what caused the duplicates though, that would be great, and if they are new files which are doing it, then maybe the modder can work it out.
(Not finger pointing at all).

It would be interesting to see what other players have in their full screens, so if you don't mind Discrepancy I'll put a call out in your Professions UI thread for players to post screenshots so I can make sure I have a very good collation resource. :)

Discrepancy

My own list of added professions are:
(and future thoughts/ideas)

Baker
Beekeeper
Butcher (sort-of, the mod is made... not the recipes for it)
Chandler (? I'm thinking candles can be made by a worker?)
Cook (will be removed, worker task)
Miller
Village Guard (possibly removed, another worker task)
Weaver (?tailor?)
Worker

RedKetchup

duplicated can be many things.... names(for sure on that one), 1st letter capital(for sure on that one), spriteimage(maybe), position in the list ?(maybe), position in our mod folders(for sure on that one)..... different string about death (maybe)... different % of death factor (maybe)...

Discrepancy

The duplicates are from me  :P
They will be fixed in next week or so. I am going to release a small update to DSSV:Production which will remove the duplicates from that and also reduce my own professions list.

Yes, find all the professions! This mod needs to be all-encompassing otherwise it will still be out of order :)

Actually most of the code is just about done, a lot of copy and pasting. A few more things to do like writing all the death notices - you can help with that. just come up with little deaths for each profession like:
StringTable professions
{
Entry _strings
[
{ String _name = "ProfessionLaborer"; String _text = "Laborer"; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionLaborerTip"; String _text = "Laborers perform easy work such as clearing areas and moving produced goods to storage."; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionLaborerDeath"; String _text = "has died of a weak heart."; }

{ String _name = "ProfessionBuilder"; String _text = "Builder"; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionBuilderTip"; String _text = "Builders build buildings, roads, and bridges."; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionBuilderDeath"; String _text = "fell off a ladder and died."; }

{ String _name = "ProfessionFarmer"; String _text = "Farmer"; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionFarmerTip"; String _text = "Farmers tend crop fields and orchards."; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionFarmeDeathr"; String _text = "died unexpectedly."; }

{ String _name = "ProfessionHerdsman"; String _text = "Herdsman"; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionHerdsmanTip"; String _text = "Herdsmans tend to animals in pastures."; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionHerdsmanDeath"; String _text = "was trampled by livestock."; }

{ String _name = "ProfessionGatherer"; String _text = "Gatherer"; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionGathererTip"; String _text = "Gatherers search for roots and berries in the forest."; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionGathererDeath"; String _text = "ate some poisonous berries and died."; }

{ String _name = "ProfessionFisherman"; String _text = "Fisherman"; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionFishermanTip"; String _text = "Fishermen catch fish for food."; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionFishermanDeath"; String _text = "drowned."; }

{ String _name = "ProfessionHunter"; String _text = "Hunter"; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionHunterTip"; String _text = "Hunters hunt wild game for food in forests."; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionHunterDeath"; String _text = "was trampled by a wild boar."; }

{ String _name = "ProfessionCutter"; String _text = "Woodcutter"; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionCutterTip"; String _text = "Woodcutters chop logs into firewood."; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionCutterDeath"; String _text = "was accidentally killed with an axe."; }

{ String _name = "ProfessionForester"; String _text = "Forester"; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionForesterTip"; String _text = "Foresters plant new saplings and cut down mature trees."; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionForesterDeath"; String _text = "was killed by a falling tree."; }

{ String _name = "ProfessionToolMaker"; String _text = "Blacksmith"; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionToolMakerTip"; String _text = "Blacksmiths produce new tools using wood and iron."; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionToolMakerDeath"; String _text = "died after being burned in the forge."; }

{ String _name = "ProfessionHerbalist"; String _text = "Herbalist"; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionHerbalistTip"; String _text = "Herbalists collect herbs and cure minor ailments."; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionHerbalistDeath"; String _text = "ate some poisonous mushrooms and died."; }

{ String _name = "ProfessionBrewer"; String _text = "Brewer"; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionBrewerTip"; String _text = "Brewers run taverns and brew alcohol."; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionBrewerDeath"; String _text = "drank a bad brew."; }

{ String _name = "ProfessionTailor"; String _text = "Tailor"; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionTailorTip"; String _text = "Tailors create warm clothes to ward off the effects of winter."; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionTailorDeath"; String _text = "was murdered!"; }

{ String _name = "ProfessionVendor"; String _text = "Vendor"; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionVendorTip"; String _text = "Vendors collect and distribute goods at a market place."; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionVendorDeath"; String _text = "was stabbed to death."; }

{ String _name = "ProfessionTrader"; String _text = "Trader"; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionTraderTip"; String _text = "Traders collect and distribute goods at a trading post."; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionTraderDeath"; String _text = "committed suicide."; }

{ String _name = "ProfessionMiner"; String _text = "Miner"; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionMinerTip"; String _text = "Miners dig iron ore out of the ground."; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionMinerDeath"; String _text = "was killed by a cave in."; }

{ String _name = "ProfessionStoneCutter" ; String _text = "Stonecutter"; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionStoneCutterTip"; String _text = "Stone cutters quarry stone from the ground."; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionStoneCutterDeath"; String _text = "was crushed by a rock"; }

{ String _name = "ProfessionTeacher"; String _text = "Teacher"; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionTeacherTip"; String _text = "Teachers educate citizens to create more resources from the same work."; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionTeacherDeath"; String _text = "went crazy and was banished."; }

{ String _name = "ProfessionDoctor"; String _text = "Physician"; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionDoctorTip"; String _text = "Physicians heal sickness and can help increase health of citizens."; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionDoctorDeath"; String _text = "took the wrong medicine and died!"; }

{ String _name = "ProfessionPriest"; String _text = "Cleric"; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionPriestTip"; String _text = "Clerics maintain chapels and bring happiness to citizens."; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionPriestDeath"; String _text = "died an unexpected death!"; }

{ String _name = "ProfessionChild"; String _text = "Child"; }
{ String _name = "ProfessionStudent"; String _text = "Student"; }
]
}

otherwise we just ask all the other modders for their death notices :)

RedKetchup

Quote"ProfessionFarmeDeathr"

haha the same ol' Luke's error still there ^^

QueryEverything

Woot, we found the duplicates and there I was writing up the list again for posting with the amended screenshot ... 
I'll post it anyway, show your Profession Shame!  (jk) :D ;)

Oh, that's interesting, name the death - should have a new thread for that.  :)  Hahahaha
I'll post the list of professions and players can nominate what they want included???
I have a few already - but yes, let's put a call out to the modders, when we get their Professions list, also asked what they wrote for the deaths :)

Lots of fun can be had, lol.