News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Voeille’s work in progress

Started by Voeille, May 29, 2018, 10:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voeille

I guess it'll be convenient to have a thread with all my stuff. I will also ask questions here if I need help with something, it'll probably be better than creating several threads in the help section.

I've always found 2 and 3-story houses really convenient as they can be placed on top of various buildings and create interesting combinations, so I decided to make my own. This is how I started:

All I can say is that it's harder to make than plants, mostly because of UV mapping. For plants I just need to map like 1-2 things and that's it, the rest is duplicating and modifying slightly enough that UV map adjusting is not needed. With a building I just need to add a lot of things to the map, which I'm not used to. I'm already running out of space and there are plenty of things to add. I'm sure it will all takes ages to finish.

kid1293

Please consider multiple textures. Don't jam all into one!
You have the knack of making very good textures. Let them show.

Assign new textures, preferably seamless and use one texture to each part of your model.
You will have a very much higher resolution compared to one single texture.

You have two files for each texture. In the second file xxxxxTexture.rsc write

ImageBuffer resource : "Texture/ModelTexture.rsc"
{
   String _imageName = "Models\MaterialInstance\WHMetal.png";
   AddressMode _addressU = Repeat;
   AddressMode _addressV = Repeat;
}

if you have a seamless texture. That way your UV map can stretch way out of bounds and still be valid.
look at picture for inspiration :)

Voeille

Can I make separate UV maps for any part I want? For example, could I have 10 UV maps and 10 textures using them? That would be convenient :) Now I'm just shoving everything into one map, and I was thinking that I'd just use a bigger image with textures (like 1024x1024) to not lose quality.

That out of bounds thing wouldn't work for how I texture. I rely on manually done shading on the texture, and that makes any seamless texture not seamless any more, because of carefully placed shading. I'll use my standard lamp example, it seems to be good for various cases ;) This was the initial texture, and this is how the model looked with it. It was a seamless texture, and if it filled the whole image that out of bounds thing would work on it. This is the final texture and this is how the model looks. It relies completely on on-texture shading, and the out of bounds thing definitely wouldn't work for it. On-texture shading is the very reason for why you think my textures look good :) I don't believe any AO map can replace manually done shading. You often want a colour that is a darker shade of the one on the texture, not just transparent black. You might want to lighten the texture on some places, or put some shading in areas where AO would never put it.

kid1293

You can still have your shading and use lamp part on one texture, lamp post on another.
I just tell you it is convenient to be able to do that out-of-bounds UV maps on walls and the like.
Good textures show not much visible repeat pattern.

Ah, it is a matter of taste. Whatever makes you feel at home- use it!

And to your first question. Yes you can map any surface of your model separately.
NIce to have for texture change  ;)

Voeille

How could I create such separate maps? Not sure if I'd use it for this house because I've mapped a lot already, but it'd definitely be a useful thing for the future :) I suppose I'd have to have separate files?

kid1293

If you select a part of your model you can map it individually.
To attach a new material and texture you click on marked '+' in picture 1
and create a new material slot. You rename it and assign a texture to it

-note-
Sometime Blender does not 'catch on' so you have to go to EDIT MODE and
assign' new material. Then it should work. Picture 2

This is maybe not the best description, use your intuition. It will come
It is hard to describe a work flow.

Voeille

Thanks :) Would it work if I had several OBJ files, each one with a mesh part mapped separately, and then imported all of them in Blender and assigned materials there? I'm used to mapping in UV Mapper and then adjusting it in Milkshape.

kid1293

It should work just fine.
Remember - each UV map you create has its own space and is assigned
to a material slot of your choice. Or in case of one large texture - to that texture.
Means - you can UV map individually and put it on same texture. Windows, door, chimney...

Voeille

OK that explains it :) Milkshape also supports multiple material slots, so maybe I'd be able to do that there too (still scared of Blender ;)).

kid1293

You should be  ;)
The ONE most important thing about Blender - Control-Z  (undo last command)  :)

elemental

It's early days, but I already like the look of your building. I've been playing with the shadow ferns and I think they're great. I'll post some pics at some point.  :)

BlueFireChelle

@kid1293  when using this method of assigning a material and texture within Blender, do we then not use the method of placing textures over the UV map in Photoshop? Is it one method or the other?

Voeille

How could you not place a texture over the map? It won't magically appear there :) You need to put it according to the map so it covers the model properly. You'd just have more files.

@elemental
It'll be nice to see the pictures :)

BlueFireChelle

Quote from: Voeille on May 29, 2018, 07:15:52 PM
How could you not place a texture over the map? It won't magically appear there :)
I have, quite literally, no idea. :P For all I know, the appearing of everything between blender and the model is pure magic. I'm still trying to get your nice blue grid to appear on my models while I'm working within Blender. This stuff is hard! 

RedKetchup

Quote from: BlueFireChelle on May 29, 2018, 07:36:10 PM
I'm still trying to get your nice blue grid to appear on my models while I'm working within Blender. This stuff is hard!

Blue, give yourself a chance and give yourself time to learn :) it will come :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .