News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Marshfield in the Swamp - Story 70

Started by Abandoned, June 30, 2021, 02:30:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Intro

This is the 70th story in the Smallville Series and tells the tale of 5 families of swamp dwellers who, with the help of Elves that came to their aid, developed a small swamp settlement into one of the major food producers in the swamp.  Their settlement is in Summerset Swamp east of the town of Summerset of story 24 which was the main target of the giant frog attack in year 62 SVT.  This story begins a few years later. 

The map seed  # 191178016    Swamp,   Small,   Swampy,   Disasters Off,   Swamp Start 5 Families

Mods activated for this map and load order are:

Map Changing and Starting Mods:   Banished UI Maps, Labor Window, RK Minimized Status, CC Light Rain,  New Flora Edit, override Fewer Trees 

Tweak Mods:     Better Fields, Fishing Dock +25%, Hunting, Increased CC, 1:1 Alternative (Voeille), Rocks Respawn, Tiny Smoke

Major or Must Have Mods:    An Empty Square, Nomads (Kid), Storage Crates, Kid Abandoned Places SE, Kid Forest Deep, Kid Swamp Thing, Kid Tiny, Kid Workplace

Supporting Mods:   Campfire, Kid Deco Farm Animals, Kid Deco Magic Mushrooms (new, testing, 4 textures 1 shown), Kid Deco People, Kid Farmyard, Kid Fish n Ships, Kid GrowHuntFish, Kid Home Grown (testing continued), Kid Mist, Kid Some Boats,  Kid Swamp Legend, Kid Work Shop, Shroom, Tiny Chopper, Water & Other Decorations

Story Note:  The storyteller, know as Swamp Elf, is not physically on this map.

Yes, weary traveler, I'm the one they call the Swamp Elf, but I was not born in the swamp.  I came from the Green Woods to the northwest, I'm a Wood Elf.   I don't know Elven magic but I know about healing and about things that are green and growing.  We got word from the swamp shortly after the giant frog attack and were asked to come and help.  We stopped at several other swamp settlements along the way so it took a while before we reached this one that we later called Marshfield. 

Kristahfer

The last few days have been very anxious. Log in no new posts, one or two posts the next day. Starting to get worried.
The today there it is, just what I was hopping for.

Yeeeha !

Thank you @Abandoned  and @kid1293 .

Looking forward to this one.

Abandoned

:) oh, not to worry.  :)  I rather like posting Intro on the last day of the month, then chapter 1 is on day 1 of new month, chapter 2 on day 2  :)  And there will be another story after this one, Greenwood  :) home of Swamp Elf.  shhh - secret  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 1

We found  5 young families who were sick and barely surviving since the frog attack, and for the most part had been hold-up inside their houses for safety.  They recently received food and other supplies from a river boatman who was helping the swamp dwellers. 

They had been doing well before the attack.  They had 5 houses, a school, a swamp hall,  a workshop, a fishing pier, and a large barn.  They were growing mushrooms and a few other crops and had an apple tree growing in a low lying mushroom patch.  They collected eggs from a duck pond. 

Then came the frogs. 

Several of the residents were severely injured before everyone made it to safety.  Then came the crocs after the frogs.  When the remaining frogs began dying off from starvation the crocs went after the ducks and wild grouse.  It was no longer safe to go near the shore.  There were no frogs and not enough birds to eat the snails that came to the field and patches to feed on the crops.  There were snails everywhere.  Wild boars showed up looking for food, they went after the ducks and duck eggs but were repelled by the crocs.  They went to the fields and took over the apple wallow.  The crops couldn't be tended  and it was difficult and dangerous for the survivors to even gather the mushrooms and apples.  They need help badly. 

Then came the Elves.  We arrived in late spring, the 2nd year after we set out from Greenwood.

Abandoned

Chapter 2

There were 11 other elves besides by husband and myself, 8 adults with 3 children.  Our children were grown and on their own back home.  We Elves are very adaptable and resourceful and quickly carved out homes for ourselves in the mushroom grove just south of the mushroom field.  Things grow large in the swampy climate and marshy soil.  I believed the condition of the soil and the fields after the frog die-off may be part of the reason most of the survivors were ill.  I went farther afield to gather herbs. There were not many to find because the swamp reeds were growing out of control even though some were being packed by the survivors to use as firewood.  Poor diet also contributed to their poor health. 

There were only apples, fish, and mushrooms in storage but one of the women said they all had beans and corn in their pantries that the boatman brought.  They were very relieved that we were there to help and they gladly left decision making up to us while they healed.

We began by herding most of the wild boar from the crop fields over to the apple wallow, the rest we added to the storage barn as pork.  It was now safe to gather the mushrooms from the field.  The wild boar had shown no signs of aggression but even elves are wary of wild animal when they are hungry or protecting young ones.  Next we built a small storage shed and a cleaning shed by the mushroom field.  The plant debris cleaned from the field would go into the compost bin we built along with a garden supply shed.  The compost would be used in the small onion patch.  Onions and mushrooms fried in pork fat would be good served with a nice piece of pork.

I advised that all foods should be thoroughly cooked for some time to come.  To that end we built a small campfire.  There were 2 small herds of deer nearby and a flock of grouse that escaped the crocs.  We hunted both with Elven bows and pain-free enchanted arrows.  Roast venison and wild game was added to the storage barn.  We would not over-hunt.  Until the croc situation was under control no one ventured near the closest duck pond, but I discovered a 2nd pond in the marsh south of the mushroom grove, we would have eggs and duck meat.  A few more herbs and some wild oats were gathered and our diet was much improved as was our food surplus.

Kristahfer

Glenn

Yes I agree, this is the other reason why we didn't hear from Abandoned for a few days -  she was off to the hair dresser for a makeover. ;D

Abandoned

Abandoned

Chapter 3

The duck pond not only provided eggs and duck meat but down as well.  Along with leather from the deer or boars we could make warm clothes in the workshop.  The summer months were hot and humid here in the swamp but winter and early spring were cool and damp.  We needed the warm clothes.  We also need logs and firewood.  We gathered as many branches as we could find, there weren't many, they decomposed fast in the marshy swamp.  We gathered more reeds to be packed and cut a few trees.  A tiny chopper was set up next to the reed packer.  We did not want to over harvest the trees.  Trees did not grow readily in this part of the swamp and we needed some shade, but to the west was a large marshland with a lot of trees. It was unusual to have such a large area not covered with water in the swamp.  The area would be good for farm fields if cleared, they would be marsh fields.  We need seeds and we needed grain.

The harvest was good from the mushroom field and, with compost added, the onion patch did well also.  Root crops as a rule do not do well in swampy wet soil but with the heat and sun they grew rapidly and were harvested before they could rot.  Because the field and patch were cleaned of plant debris and were now being worked, the snails made their way to the remaining patch.  There were a few onions there among the plant debris of other vegetables but the patch was small and we thought it would provide more snail meat than vegetables.  As you know, weary traveler, many snails are edible.  So are crocs.

Abandoned

Chapter 4

One of the men who had a bad leg from the frog attack began making nets to protect the shore from crocs.  Another survivor began croc hunting from shore near the duck pond.  It was then that 4 boats sailed up river, 2 families of swamp dwellers asked if they could stay.  One couple was a widower with 2 children and a new bride who was expecting their first child and was too sick to continue sailing.  The other couple had a toddler and a newborn.  Three of the boats immediately sailed on while the wind was favorable, those boats were loaded with sacks and crates and potted fruit trees.  Someone said they were lemon trees.

The families that stayed with us moved into one of the mushroom houses and 2 swamp houses that were built.  They had some seeds with them and planted patches of tomatoes, peppers, and squash.  They were glad to see we had compost and snails.  They advised we eat the smaller snails and harvest the fertilizer left by the bigger ones, when added to the compost, the vegetables grew larger and faster.

The rest of that year and well into the next, we continued work on the roads and on cutting trees and gathering reeds for firewood.  We were short of logs.

In spring of year 4, 9 more swamp dwellers arrived.  The group was largely made up of young singles who had survived the frog attacks and were struggling to survive on their own.  A family of 3 and a single male moved into the 2 mushroom houses across the pond.  We build a small storage shed and firewood storage nearby.  We found a mother tree not far from there and had 2 foresters cutting trees.  Because we were short of logs, the first group of swamp dwellers that arrived brought over a large squash and gave it more compost and soon they were adding a door and windows to turn the squash into a house. We were impressed. They began growing another squash nearby.

Abandoned

Chapter 5

With the help of the 2 foresters and another reed packer our wood and firewood supply increased and in year 5 we began building a jetty across the lagoon to the river.  We knew a river boatman would not want to row to shore through croc invested waters.  We were eager for a boatman to come so we could send a message to our children back home letting them know where we were and that we were well.

We built a small jetty across the pond near our mushroom house.  I gathered what berries, flax, and herbs I could find and planted them in pots out on the jetty.  The marshland still had too many reed to allow many other wild things to grow.

The trading post was completed and a lighthouse was built next to it.  We would continue building the jetty to the shore where the mother tree grew.  In late autumn, Genni, the food merchant arrived.  He confirmed what we already knew about the condition of life in the swamp since the frog attack, everything was in short supply.  He would accept most anything in trade for the corn, wheat, and wild oats we ordered.  We didn't have much except food that we could trade but we could trade our surplus for the grain. I hoped the other traders would accept seeds we had in exchange for seeds we needed.  The compost fed tomatoes, peppers, and squash grew large and produced a lot of seed as well.  We built a seed collector where we could put the extra seeds we collected in sacks to take to the trading post.

Abandoned

Chapter 6

As our surplus of food grew, we were concerned with the keeping quality.  Tomatoes and peppers would not last long in this heat and humidity.  The swamp dwellers who grew them suggested we make salsa, they could grow more onions if we needed them.  A salsa store was built by the main storage barn.

We had a surplus of leather and flax.  We built a workplace tailor to make hide coats and linen clothes to use as trade goods.  We were hoping that a resource merchant would come to port, we were short of iron for our tool maker and the only surface iron was far to the northwest or across the river.  We were short of laborers and had only 1 builder.  There were several students ages 10 and 11 who would finish school soon but it would be a while before we needed houses for young couples.  Our labor shortage became worse when one of the workers died of a weak heart.  It was sad we had no cemetery.  Our happiness and overall health were both down.

In early autumn, Gartha, the general goods merchant, came to port.  She had wheat seeds and we had just enough trade goods to make the trade.  We cleared land for a 10x12 wheat field and a small cemetery.  Hopefully the grain would improve our health and time would heal our hearts.

Abandoned

Chapter 7

When Genni, the food merchant, returned in early spring we traded for corn and wild oats.  Our wheat field would soon be planted.  Genni said what was needed was foods that kept well in this heat.  Kylandro, the river boatman who was helping the swamp dwellers, was delivering apple, walnuts, herbs, iron tools, linen clothes, firewood, and peg legs to anyone who needed them.  There would soon be sea biscuits but trade of frog legs had been banned.  We didn't need any of those thing but would keep in mind what others needed.

We hoped our overall health would improve with the corn, wild oats, and our first harvest of wheat but until then we built a tree stump herbalist by the main storage barn.  The barn and other storage units were filled to near capacity.  We built a jetty storage unit on the small jetty next to the plants and berries.  A large jetty house was built there for one of the swamp dwelling families that just arrived, the struggle to survive had become too much for them. There were 9 adults and 3 children.  A small jetty house was built for another family on the main jetty as well as a jetty fishing spot.  On shore we built a smoker, smoke fish would keep longer and could be traded to help others.

What we needed was logs and iron.  With more laborers we could cut a few more trees and gather the last of the iron far to the west.  Because we were short of logs, 2 more squash were grown into houses for the remaining new arrivals.  Everyone was housed by late autumn when Carling, the resource merchant came to port.  We ordered logs and iron.

taniu

@Abandoned ;D :-[Sorry - you don't like it when someone bothers you - but I have an idea and a request at the same time - can you add peat to your story?  additional fuel from the bogs to increase the survival rate - this is  favored by cutting  no down trees and people from the marshes would be happy for such a gift. Would @Kid - Modders
Banished Expert agree to my request? :P :-[ Sorry  :-[again, but I don't know where to put this idea - which chapter? Maybe add this peat to the to the base of the Banished game - as fuel? ;)it would be cool .  There is such peat only  in "North 7.1 Bogland" Greetings

Abandoned

@taniu I will make note of peat suggestion, but there are no plans for swamp update anytime soon.  There is a category for Suggestions and Mod Ideas where you can always start a new topic to post your ideas.