News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

BRAD'S SETTLING of AMERICA SERIES: BEVERSET town #2

Started by brads3, May 27, 2017, 10:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

Looks good so far, but be careful and prepare for more food production in time. Your level of education has dropped a lot and there are a lot of hungry children's mouth to feed. :)

The horses are very nice. The place is excellent! I guess that it's decorations.

brads3

yeah, i like making pastures with the stable barns. it makes sence to let the animals outside to eat grass in the summers.
    someday when REDKETCHUP gets time and a break from all the coding, i hope he expands the fodder mod. i would like to have a cow barn that produces milk and fertilizer.we may have to feed it grain too.
   the food i have not forgot. i try to keep 1 worker on food for every 5 bannies. it does go down some with nomads til houses can be built. i have a water problem i need to monitor and figure out.if i can get the water up,i can build another greenhouse.

brads3

YEAR 15:

after logging our progress for the fort commander,work on a trading post began.with everyone so busy, the builder enlisted help from the river tower.as they cleared land for it,many herbs and roots were gathered. the flooding river had dropped good fertile soil here.we will have to consider that with future projects.upon completion, the TP will be stocked with hide coats,cider,and furniture. we will add 750 potaoes. it was enough for a ship to carry down to the fort.
      remembering all we had found while clearing for the TP,i sent everyone we could spare to collect along the river.since harvest was done,the farmers had the time.the indians laughed when the bannies claimed they had seen walking rocks.they swore they were alive and crawling on the river banks. the indians had to explain what turtles were.
      checking with the herbalist,she reported the efforts of the mini forester.herbs,berries,and mushrooms had grown better. even the trapper was happy now that their were more squirrels.
     the indians did file a complaint. they had seen no turkeys here in this valley. they even refused to celebrate thanksgiving with no turkeys.they said there was lands with grouse and turkeys with big tail feathers.the feathers were useful for indian trade items,they claimed.they could use feathers to make coats and warm beds for children.though the towers hunted pheasants,partridges,geese,and ducks,it wasn't the same as turkeys.for thanksgiving, they lit a fire,stomped their feet,and did a dance to the gods.

YEAR 16:

in spring, workers went to help the indians clear heavy rocks.they killed many rattlesnakes in doing so.the main snake pit was finally destroyed and filled in with dirt.
       a huge water tower was planned.it would give enough water for our greenhouse and crops.i had the builder dig it deep so even on a dry year we would not run out.it was placed by the village markets so the water could be sent to whoever needed it.while the builder worked,the laborers  went to cut more trees to replace the logs.the extra firewood needs and furniture had used up more than the foresters were cutting.
      as i climbed up to see how far i could see from the new tower,i spotted settlers approaching the village.though i did not get to enjoy the view long,i was able to sppot a lake to the south.the west across the river seemed mountainous.the east looked to be grassy and open.it had hills and a few mountain peaks.

the merchant had brought 14 more settlers to us.more than our boardinghouse could hold. 8 adults,
2 teenagers,and 4 children. while they were moving into the BH,i spoke with the merchant.the fort had sent chickpea seeds and notes on the 3 families.they knew little about the other couple however.1 family was known for honey and candles.they had good experience with bees.another family,was to help extend out log production and forest operations.the 3rd famliy had come from swamplands. they had always lived near or on water.the way the fort commander explained it,this family had been quite helpful. even though they had never seen the ocean before,they took to it and it's waves quite well.they had taught the fort bannies to dig down in the sand to find food.they made ditches on the beach to trap crabs,fish,and seaweed when the tides came in at night.within a month,the family had built boats and hunted whales.the fort now was heating and lighting its buildings with whale oil.the fort translator had passed away so they could not understand the 4th couple.it was left to me to figure them out.the letter was several pages long and made for much conversations around the village.
      we loaded the furniture and hide coats on the boat to be sent.the BH was stocked with food and firewood.it was only early summer,but we would have a busy year.
      since the family of beekeepers was homeless,a thatch wood house was needed in the maeadow.then a house could be added near the river south of the village.
      the LOCKIES,that is what they called them selves,chose a dockhouse design and location.then they swam off.they were called Lockies after a monster that lived in a swamp.according to them,few had ever seen the monster because of the way it moved through both the water and the swamp mud.it was an honour to them to be named after such a creature.
      since the Lockies had disappeared,the 4th couple moved into the house.the bannies tried to stop them but had no luck.it will take time to figure their language out.another dockhouse was built.the Lockies showed up just in time to move in.they had been up and down the river and to a lake. they had found gold and silver in the lake.they claimed the lake had called them to it.
    there was still 1 family and 2 teenage girls left in the barracks.winter would come soon. more houses would wait until spring.
           before spring,a field would be cleared for the chickpeas.trees were to be cut near the  dockhouses.other work had to be done as well. during the winter i would try to figure out the 4th family and where they were from.this has been a very hectic year.

pic 1: trading post.
pic 2: RED's tall watertower.
pic 3: dock houses.

brads3

YEAR 17:

over the winter months with trial and error,hand gestures,and drawing in the dirt,i managed to figure out somethings about the 4th family. they were a couple from overseas and way north. it sounded like they said russia.1 day they picked up a potato and tried to drink it? or was it a gesture? i figured out they were explaining they made a drink from potatoes called vodka.they had lost the recipealong their journey.they tried to draw pictures of what looked to be a moonshine still.they said they drank vodka with crayfish. i thought this strange cause the crayfish here were quite small.back home they let grass grow on their roofs.claimed it kept the houses warmer.hmm,maybe we can learn something from these folks if i can learn their talk.
       as spring came and i went around checking on everyone,i was stunned.the Lockies had been busy.they had dug mud and planted reeds along the riverbank.they also had a rice paddy started and a duckblind.they had crossed the river last fall to get the reeds. the rice they had carried across the ocean. this is why they had wanted to come here.the rice would not grow well in salt water so they had not planted them at the fort.as the fort commander had told me,these swamp  people were resourceful.
        once the snow melted off,the builder and crew went to building houses.we would need several this year.another crew set out to build the apiary in the meadow.they would build storage for the Lockies and whereever more was needed.
      the builders in the forest had plenty to do. 2 cabins,a gathering hut,and a pine forest tower.as soon as they built the 1st cabin,a young couple moved in. another lad paired up with the other gal in the boardinghouse as quickly.snow would fall before the 2nd cabin was finished.the laborers had worked hard to keep the 2 builder crews supplied.their feet were tired and sore from carrying materials all around.they would need rest before more projects could be done.2 builders remained finishing the pine tower.
     a food merchant stopped by on his way south.he traded us some grapefruits and would carry some furniture down to the fort.i gave him my notes for the fort commander with a bag of rice from the Lockies.jillicent said there was a new indian village to the north. as it was growing fast,more merchants would be headed this way.
     while the workers rested,i took time to check our supplies.our food had took a hit. it was expected with all the new houses needing to be stocked.there was still some harvesting to be done,but we were down to 6200.we had 15 bannies working to produce food.at the rate our population is growing we will need 3 or 4 more by spring.more trees will have to be dropped this winter to get our log count back up.we still needed more houses. 1 young new couple still lived in the barracks.students were starting to graduate as well.even with the watertower,water was being used as fast as it could be brought up.we had thought the larger tower would have done better than the small well.we did have fodder and fertilizer stocked up.as planned,there were laborers scattered out in each area.they had moved supplies around and kept the outer barns stocked.
    during the winter, another orchard and crop field will be cleared.we will locate a spot for a duck blind and add a 2nd trout fisherman as well.

YEAR 18:

the lockies found us a good spot for the duck blind and fishing.north of the TP was a slight rise of along th river.the river curved back abd forth,so there was good pools for trout.across the river was a flat spot the ducks were known to gather at.A tall wooden house would add more flood protection.by summer our boardinghouse was empty and cleaned.
     a seed market stopped at the landing.he had 1 bag of pea seeds left on his boat.we passed on the trade,hoping for a better deal. we told him to stop next year though.he also would put the word out that we were looking for some cattle.
      mid-summer,more houses were needed now that females were turning 16.2 plymouth houses would add to our main village. trees were being clear to the south to supply the logs. we would still need more houses as more have graduated.our town was growing fast.
     during the winter a dock workshop would be built. we could soon craft survival coats for trade.the lockies were already stockpiling feathers and reeds.by the time snow fell, our food reserve was back over 8200 and apples were still being picked.our biggest problem was water.the horses and greenhouse constantly fought over it.the tower produced almost the same as the small well.
    the lockies being resourceful,had taught the north duck hunter to catch fish while he watched for ducks.he had caught 5 already.they had taken to the russians and had trained them to tend to the reeds and rice.it was unusual,since the lockies liked the water and swamps and the russians liked wild boars and snow.they had developed their own language as well.

pic 1: the Lockies river flat.duck blind,rice paddy,and reeds.
pic 3: beekeepers apiary and house.
pic 4: pine forest under construction.gathering hut,cabins,FO. barn.
pic 5:north hunting blind and trout fishing.note the 4 fish caught by the duck hunter.

Nilla

:D ;D I had to laugh about the Russians and the potatoes. You are certainly using the "Myths" of different people. But since they also like the small crayfish, are you really sure they are Russian? ;)

brads3

brads3

YEAR 19

a pine cabin is planned along the forest road.this will keep laborers spread out.this will leave us with 1 16 year old female living with their parents.as the males are still in school,that isn't a big concern.

guess i should give an accessment of the buildings and some productions.
the EB herbalist- mini forest establisheded to help grow the herbs.herbs did grow better but are not being harvested. production remains under 10.

furniture joiner shop-2 workers,1 educated.uses the logs sent to it quickly production over 70.

the fodder itself is about 200 or better.the problem area with the chain is the wells.i like to get the fodder started a few years before the stable. this allows him to clear rocks and trees.once the fodder is built up, i build the stables and well. by delaying the greenhouse a couple years,the well has time to get ahead.at least it should be able to.i built the watertower to have water for the GH and future projects.with both wells producing about 30 water,we are actually waiting for it.the GH struggles to prduce at 300. stocks= 600+ fodder,about 100 fertilizer. i am wondering if a mod is holding the water production down.i did not load the EB well. however other EB mods are above RK mods.could the tannery have enough of the well code to affect or override the RK wells? the NMT mod which contains the watertower is below CC. the fod utility mod is above CC.

mini forest almost 100 logs,maple forester 185,pine 75.though they will improve,we will need more logs.

tailors-we keep no surplus of textiles.the furrier switches between furs and pelts. KIDS workplace makes hidecoats. and i just started survival coats. clothing is 134 and stocks at the TP.we keep and use fur coats.i can't give you actual numbers. KID's small workplace tailor has kept up on leather. nicely.
trapper has half his radius in the mini forest,half in fodder meadow.his numbers varry from year to year and items.RED's watch tower hunters get about 12 textiles per year,leather and fur.

crops- rice 1000,fields most are 700,3100 on 5 fields,apples over 2000 on 3 orchards.

mini blacksmith about 80 tools. his problem is logs.
lumberyard does seem low on firewood. should use the mini chopper for a year to compare the 2.

as more students graduate,our numbers should improve.we have 38% educted so far.

reluctantly,a small windmill is being built in the meadow.there is a good breeze through the valley all year,so it will be a good spot.hopefully it will do better than our well.since it is a small project,1 worker is sent to the woodchopper.we also want to extend the main road to the east.
       a merchant stops in late spring. we don't need the barley seed but will swap for the 500 rockmelons.
with heavy rains along his route,he has not seen the bison herd and indians this year.he did suggest some stone benches and a shade tree near the TP would be nice.he lit a fire and dried off at the boardinghouse for the night.
     by fall the road was extended to the east edge of the meadow.more trees were being cut.the mini chopper was doing better than the lumberyard even with nobody supplying his logs.the new well seemed to produce no better than the other 2.we will need a well for every greenhouse or tanery we build.
      the seed merchant stopped with squash seeds.he was hungry for seafood and headed to the fort.he would take a load of furniture and coats for us. i gave himm some notes for the fort commander ammd a request for livestock and chickens.i told him how i had spotted a canyon to the west. it would give good protection from wild animals with its steep sides.the lockies quickly caught some turtles to send.the school children had a box of pressed leaves to send as well.

pic 1:overview of the crops and orchards. inventory
pic 2: south view of the meadow.note how encircled it is.you can just see the base of the hil behind the herbalist to the northwest .the north is surrounded like the south.

pic 3: food graph. shows the mountains north of the meadow.

Nilla

I guess I have somehow inspired you to look at the numbers @brads3:D

It's weird about the water. I have the same water tower as you have, it produces around 500. I don't think, that the well from @embx61 makes any trouble. As I tested it, it produced allright. I didn't run it together with CC, but with the wells from Red and DS. Have you tried Red's water well? The one that looks very much like a vanilla "fire well". It has always produced good, as I've tested it.

Most of my production is higher than yours, but that should be so, with 100% educated, so you are right; your production will increase as more students graduates (of cause, unless you take more nomads, than graduates)

brads3

the only reason i wonder about the EB mods affecting it is those mods are the topmost mods and i really have no explanation. with the herbalist being so low makes me wonder bout a work code of some sort.i too thought the tower produced better but the NMT is below CC.it will take more testing.
    i find with slowing down to make it into a story i play different. i pay attentionto the bannies individually more.i don't just keep expanding. for example,i wouldn't be making so many types of clothing.
    i know roads and education and other things do hinder production. i have not seen it bother games as badly as the last 2. if that is the problem.even on a bad year or without the educated worker,my fields are at 600+. the tower hunters do seem to be lower than a regular deer hunter.these last 2 games are really the 1st long plays i have done with the 1.07 too. i tested off and on but had only played short games.now that i have upgraded most mods it will take some adjusting.the only real glitch i know of has been the duck blind that gives fish.

RedKetchup

the tower hunters is very very very random (on purpose ^^) if you get alot of birds at 20 meat ... at the end thats alot of difference with alot big animals at 200 meat each
;D
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

The production of the herbalists are also very different. It doesn't need to be a bug. I just looked; I have one vanilla and the mini herbalist. The vanilla had 78 and the mini 15 herbs last year. I have seen big variations, especially by herbalists in huts with a small radius or if you use 2 herbalists in the vanilla version. It looks like the forest gets over used. This was very obvious in Necora´s forests. I used a trick; I had one herbalist in each forest but only used one at the time and let them change workplace every couple of years. That way, I always had a lot of herbs.

RedKetchup

herbalist is very dependant of its circle , bigger the circle, more herbs you will get. of course depends of trees density  too :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

brads3

hi,RED. but the towers don't hunt turkeys or elk.... i like the tower giving a variety and changing from year to year. i think the production of the towers swings more between educated and uneducated workers than he hunter huts. the herbalist,has ahuge radius. and i built a mini forester near it to help it.the center of the circle is the village but that still leaves a huge area.it is the 1st time i really used it but it fits nice with the plymouth and plantation houses. i sent workers into the mini forest and select cut a few plants and most of them were herbs. that is why i think it to has something in the coding making it be so low.on the next map i will change mod orders and have more info to compare with.

brads3

YEAR 20:

POPULATION:95,47 adult,12 students,36 children. 40% educted.23 houses+BH.
food almost 7100.
   has it been this long already? our food drops down as we get new settlers and then we work to build it up for the next set.we have more than tripled our population.we now produce 6 crops.chickpeas,potatoes, wheat,squash,strawberries,and apples.we have added duck hunters and a gathering hut and a apiary.
we produce 4 types of clothing,furniture and cider.we stock reeds and beeswax.
the fort has sent us 3 groups of settlers.teacher,undertaker,herbalist,stablehands,beekeepers, foresters,woodworkers,the lockies and russians.
with forests in the north and the lockies to the south we have expanded.with our stone bridge and the mining area cleared,we are ready for requests from the fort.

in spring,the workers set out to clear brush along the river northward to the duck blind. the builder worked to smooth a road on the ridge over the river.this will give us a straight road between the markets and the duck blind. beside the blind a stone bridge will be built to cross the river to a canyon.the duck hunter and his wife said they would light torches on both ends of the bridge so merchants will see it in the darkness.hauling rocks so far and smoothing the ground along the stony ridge took time.
fall came and the builder still had just a short ways left to go.
   the lockies swam over and came back with a report. there was a river to the east of the canyon so we will need several watchtowers.they say there is lots of game and pheasants. they believe beavers live near the stream and we should consider a trapper if we plan any chickens.there is foxes and skunks that will eat the eggs.
      as i checked stocks,i was suprised to see the Gh and stables still struggling.all 3 wells had workers all year long. i had hoped the extra well would get us some water in storage.it had not worked out that way.theGh had only produced 200 strawberries by mid autumn.the rest of the crops had done well. we had over 8300 food and feilds were still being harvested.the north duck hunter caught 7 fish even with the bridge construction goin on.the lockies shook their heads at him.he was catching fish and ducks but never kept the feathers.this is very strange since the lockies always have duck and feathers.for what it is worth, he says he is better educated since they taugh  him.
     since we have a 18 year old female,we do need to build a house this winter.sihe wanted a house like her older sister,elbertina. a wooden river house would go next to the TP.
      though the fort might not believe me,i still say stuff grows better here away from the salt air.thatch and trees seem to grow back quicker in areas that were cleared before.we have planned our crops and forests with the grass and thatch.
       the seed merchant stopped. he was heading way south with bamboo seeds.he had not seen the livestock merchant but had put word out for us.

pic 1: year 20 stats.willow tree and benches added to the TP landing.
pic 2: year 20 production
pic 3:year 20 inventory.
pic 4: stone bridge with torches on both ends.the duck blind produces fish and ducks.
pic 5: the new riverhouse and the long road to the bridge.

Nilla

I can only say; my little duck hunter works very well; very skilled. Kills a lot of ducks (1000-1600 meat each year). What messes things up in your game, I can't understand.

I think your life would be easier if you planned a bit more ahead for your new settlers; not only letting the stores go down when they arrive and slowly increase until the next batch. You have no crisis in this town but a few bad harvests in a row and a baby boom, just after the nomad arrival, would give you some. Always better to plan ahead. I think 1 of 5 to produce food isn't enough to be safe for a population growing this fast. But maybe you like the excitement! :)