News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Springfield - Story 23

Started by Abandoned, March 20, 2018, 02:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Hi Red, these 6 arrived in spring of year 3 and I am short of logs and stone.  The tailor and school were already started so materials were going there instead of to the 3 house.  With these new arrivals I at least have laborers cutting trees and gathering stone.  I should have waiting before building stone roads, I thought more speedy travel time would help.

RedKetchup

oh ok sorry. they are nomads, gotcha.
i am not used to see nomads so much early
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Abandoned

Using the 1:1 aging is a very slow start especially if you want to educate children right away, so I use a mod to get some nomads early.   :)

Abandoned

Chapter 4

At the start of year 4, our priorities were logs, firewood, stone, and housing for our 3 homeless families.  In spring, 8 more migrators arrived.  They were cold and tired and did not want to travel any farther.  We would need more housing.  We added a third builder to our workforce.  With more laborers to help, we cleared the land for a fenceless cemetery and an orchard, thus adding logs and stone to the stockpile at the same time. 

We wanted to tell the farmers to begin harvesting early but we were busy elsewhere and the  harvesting was already underway.  We quickly added an extra farmer to each field and had them leave the baskets of crops for the laborers to pick up and we hoped for the best.  It was definitely not the best.  We lost a considerable amount of corn.

At least the year ended well. We had enough laborers to collect wild foods and cut trees, and we added another woodcutter to the workforce.    All our families had homes.  We began construction of a bee shelter.  Although we had no surplus firewood, no one was cold or hungry that winter.

Gatherer

Quote from: Abandoned on March 24, 2018, 02:54:32 PM
We quickly added an extra farmer to each field and had them leave the baskets of crops for the laborers to pick up and we hoped for the best.

I've been wondering about this. What mod is this that the farmers leave the crops for the laborers to pick up? I don't recognize it from your mod list for this map.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Abandoned

@Gatherer a pick up button comes with the Village Crop Field that is part of the DS Small Village Production mod.  It is a nice added feature.  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 5

Flowering plants and trees began to bloom in the spring of year 5 and bees began to stir.  We still had occasional snow showers but we all looked forward to warmer weather, especially those working outdoors.

We were still critically short of logs and firewood so we build another forester east of town past the crop fields closer to the lake.  We had more workers since 6 more migrators, who were displaced by the tornado, joined us.  We also now had an herbalist next to the green house but we still had no one tending the seedling.  I was now teaching at the school and our oldest child was a student.  Larryl, who had been a fisherman for some time now, said maybe the town should consider utilizing the lake resources since farming in this harsh climate was so difficult.

The cabbage harvest was already underway so we added another farmer to help harvest, but we remembered the teachings of Wise Nordic Woman and began harvesting the corn early with only 1 farmer.  We were rewarded with a good harvest from both fields.

In early spring we built another hunting cabin up near the first forester and by autumn we had a small gatherer's hut built there as well.  What laborers were available took to the woods to gather wild foods, wood, and stone. We still needed housing.  By early winter, we had 19 families but only 17 homes.

Abandoned

Chapter 6

Year 6 brought with it another early spring with cold and snow and another spring with flower plants and trees and snow showers.  We were again short of logs, firewood, leather, and grain.  We considered building a trading post but realized we had nothing of value to trade.  We also did not know if there were any towns or settlements upriver and if they had anything to trade.  We had not seen a boat on the river since we've been here.

We had only one farmer working each crop field so we kept a close eye on the ripening of the crops.  We did not want to miss starting the harvest early this year.  By autumn our health and happiness were high but our food and firewood supplies were not.  We had seen several herds of deer near the eastern forester so we decided to build another hunting cabin there.  It was not that far from the lake and we realized that it was a pretty big lake.  It would take a lot of logs to develop industries on that lake, and logs was something we had little of.

The harvest that year was not the best but it was not the worst either.  We made sure we gathered all the wild oats and foods nearby before the snow.  The new hunting cabin was completed and we looked forward to more venison and leather for warm coats.  It promised to be another very cold snowy winter.

A new full-size blacksmith workshop was being constructed.  Hopefully it would keep our blacksmith warmer while he worked.  Despite having 2 woodcutters, we were continually short of firewood.  Often they had to wait for logs.  The blacksmith building was impressive looking when it was completed.  We had many thing to consider over the winter months.

Abandoned

Chapter 7

With the 7th new year and early spring came the promise of our first chestnut harvest.  Despite the bitterly cold winter the townspeople  were still 100% happy and healthy, thanks in part to our varied diet.
  Last year we began both corn and cabbage harvests early, when they were at 82 and 83%.  The harvest were not the best. This year we assigned a second farmer to each field.  The cabbage harvest total was much better, the corn much worse.  Each field had one educated and one uneducated worker.  We reached the conclusion that no matter what we did we would not get a reliable harvest total in this harsh climate.  For the few orchard trees we had, the total of 300 chestnuts was acceptable.

We needed to do something about our shortage of firewood.  Another woodcutter got to work as soon as the second workstation was completed and we hoped there would be enough firewood to see us through another hash winter.

Another concern was the forester and hunting cabin over by the lake.  The logs and venison were vital to our survival.  We could not let anything happen to these 2 buildings.  They were near the lake but too far to haul water in case of fire.  We built a well between the 2.

A couple of stockpile storage units and a storage wagon were set up close to the lake and in late winter of year 7 we began our lake development project. We calculated that the project would take many years to complete.

Abandoned

Chapter 8

In early spring of year 8 another construction project was underway.  A barn and forest food gatherer were built on the east side of town. The gatherer had a larger work radius than the small one over by the river.  We had to insure a continual supply of food.  We often lacked enough laborers to go foraging in the forest for wild foods.  We made sure that wild oats were gathered whenever they were spotted.  The summers were pleasantly mild, never too hot, and no one minded a walk in the forest to collect wild foods.

A jetty house was complete and work on the jetty walkway had begun.  It was a beautiful lake and we had high hopes it would be productive.

We were pleased that by summer we had a surplus of firewood.  We could all face our early autumn cold and snow with more confidence of surviving the harsh winter.  Our corn, cabbage, and chestnut harvest were all slightly better than the previous year.  Everyone was glad they were not one of the builders of the jetty when early winter temperatures dropped to 2 degrees and below.  We could not wait for spring to arrive in Springfield.

Abandoned

Chapter 9

In early spring of year 9 the jetty fishing dock was completed.  The fisherman assigned there was glad when temperatures climbed above freezing.  The crop fields would each have only one farmer this year, we needed the laborers.  We were short of logs again.  We hoped that the drift wood collector would help eliminate the wood shortage.  Apparently the tornado deposited a lot of logs and even firewood into the lake and only now was some of it surfacing to be collected.

We paid close attention to our supplies at the town hall.  Our records showed a nice surplus of venison but not much mutton.  We were also out of wool again. Without the extra farmers working the crop field, the harvest was not a good one. If we had a worker to spare we could have a linen weaver make linen clothes with the flax that had been collected.  Maybe next year.   This year we decided to clear the land near the crop fields for another sheep pasture.  It would take several years to fill the pastures to capacity after dividing the sheep but we had enough venison and other foods to tide us over until then.  We thought the jetty fisherman and driftwood collector would have done better.

Maybe next year.

Nilla

I see no stores on the jetty. There are some very nice, looking like a jetty, to build close to the fisher and collector. It will increase the productivity. I don't remember exactly how the output was as I tried these mods. It was some time ago and it might have been changed, but I think the fisher was good, the collector not so. I think I also collected only logs, seemed at least to that point to be better. One important thing; logs/firewood is a limited resource and you can't demolish the site. If this hasn't changed, I can only recommend to keep the building after it doesn't find more logs.

Abandoned

Thanks @Nilla I plan to expand the jetty when I have more logs.  There is a storage wagon and stockpile for logs & stone on shore.  I saw that the driftwood collector will last 5 years. The DS forester buildings only employee 3 workers, not 4 like vanilla.

Abandoned

Chapter 10

By early spring of year 10, the new pasture was ready and 5 sheep found their way through the snow to get to it.  A fence was being erected around the pasture so they wouldn't wander any farther in the snow and become lost.  Since it would be some time before we again had wool or mutton, we built a butchery to extend our venison supply as much as possible.  The building was soon finished as well as a small house nearby.

The sheep settled well in their new pasture and the crops were planted.  We again considered building a trading post to trade for grain.  It would be nice to have a bakery but we had little to trade and we were again short of logs.  We needed a few more houses and wanted to continue building the jetty development but we also needed firewood for the coming winter.    Again the labors cut trees and gathered wild oats.  They noticed there was an abundance of acorns on the oak trees this year so the small workshop was reopened in order to make some gathering baskets for acorns.  We again neglected to assign a 2nd farmer to help harvest, and an early snow destroyed a good portion of our corn harvest.  Two farmers would work that field next year.

Our population was now 77, 47 adults, 10 students, and 20 young children.  Our education rate was 51% and our town's people were still  100% happy and healthy.  How long would they stay that way?

brads3

looks like the sheep kicked the fence.all broke up.