News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Gender streakiness

Started by Maldrick, January 08, 2018, 05:52:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maldrick

For the past several days I've had my arse handed to me by the game like I haven't seen since the first week I played.  Playing a mod set that's mostly 4-person houses and I'm using them, which I find a tad more challenging at the start but it's never been a problem before.

After a couple of restarts I'm starting to notice constant streaks of females every decade or so.  One right after the other.  I've held off on education to aggressively cycle them thru early so more reproduction can happen, sailed past the initial die off and then got two long strings of females over about 20 years.  Survived it but wound up with a crazy population flux from fixing it, so I bagged it.  On another I built a school before before the first one became an adult and played it conservatively...going into the intitial die off I notice that I've got elderly couples, a few young couples making babies, and adult females with their parents who are just out of reproduction age.   The parents, that is. At one point I had like 1/3 of my houses with young adult women with their parents, some with little sisters right behind them, while the oldest uncoupled young male was like 3 or 4. lol  It's just crazy. So many females that when a male comes of age you get a 19 year old with a 38 year old and they've got time to make one kid.

So I'm wondering if who is born in what order is baked in the seed.  I've noticed when using the same seed you get the same bannies at the start.  Could this be my seed or is it just bad luck?  Actually, this one has mostly female children at the start and I wonder if that is what's doing it.

Also, I know a lot of players love the 4-person houses...I find starts go better with 5-person houses.  I've never had a lot of problems before with the 4-person houses, really, but thought I would ask if there was a particular way to approach it I should try.   Because whatever I've tried with this one isn't working, to say the least. lol
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Nilla

I think, that all of us, who have played this game a bit longer, have inexperienced this. Not necessarily a lot of females, it might as well be a lot of males. I think it's random.  I am quite sure, that it also has nothing to do with the map; it's not programmed from the start. If one girl is born and you restart the game before she was born, a child is born to that family at that point, but it might as well be a boy. Maybe some mod "interfere". I guess, that it's possible to manipulate these random gender. If you play an Adam and Eve start, the two first children have always been of different gender every time I played such a start.

I try to avoid houses for 4 people. The growth at the beginning is too slow for my taste. Unfortunately there are some really nice houses of that kind. Some of them can be upgraded. I do that as soon as it make sense, others have larger "siblings", that I normally prefere, even if they are more expensive. later in a game, it doesn't matter that much or it might even be good, if the growth slows down. But normally I prefere houses for 5.

Maldrick

Thanks, @Nilla .

I guess that's what's thrown me for a bit of a loop...Haven't played since the beginning like a lot of you guys but have been at it for going on a couple of years.  The gender streaks happen sometimes, sometimes at bad times, but I've never seen one like this.  After it happening with three different attempts at different stages it got me wondering if it's part of the seed in some way.  I've always thought it was random, too.

Actually, when I'm back at my PC I'll have a close look, but most of the starting children are female and they are the older ones.  Can't help but think that alone could have a ripple effect from the start, where you're always playing catch up with males as they couple, get another streak of females and you get into the age difference situation. With all of it compounding it causes problems.

Thinking my next attempt I'm going to hold off on educating for a lot longer than I usually wait, just to get a solid population to propagate which should mitigate the streaks, but be a bit more conservative than I was the last time I tried that.  Or start with 5-person houses instead of the 4 and see if that changes the dynamic.  Thinking it will, I've just been determined to get this to work the other way around. Lol. And I may try a different seed, as much as I like this one for what I'm going for.

Actually, my next one is going to be something completely different because this one has gotten a bit repetitive.  But besides being a bit frustrating I've found this really interesting.  Have gotten streaks like this before, just not to this extent.

Thanks again.
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

child_of_air

I get this quite a bit, usually right around my second or third generation. I just fix it by allowing nomads to come in, and then poof- the unmarried men or women eventually get spouses. You just have to ride it through and realize that this happens in life too, so it's pretty realistic.