News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

UI gripe

Started by irrelevant, June 08, 2014, 07:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

Just started playing this great game a couple of weeks ago. It's a keeper!

My current town is doing pretty well, nearing 500 citizens.

The only real complaint I have is the endless clicking required to increment quantities at the trading posts and for the production limits. My hand is starting to hurt from clicking thousands of times to change quantities.

Also, at the trading posts sometimes the numbers increment by 20, and other times (for the same commodity) only by 5, and sometimes only by 1. I have to click out of the post and go back in to force it to "reset" to increment by 20.

Am I missing something? Is there some way to just key in these numbers, or at least to take control of the increment interval?

slink

Yes, you can type in the numbers.  Just click on the zero, delete it, and start typing.  Or you can keep the zero if you need it for your number, and save two keystrokes.

salamander

Was doing the same thing until I figured out you could type in the numbers directly.  Insurance covered the carpal tunnel problem, so I guess everything's okay now.

irrelevant

That's it! I had tried doing this, but didn't persevere. My wrist thanks you.

Demonocracy

I used to click that button repeatedly too.  I'm ashamed to admit that I only discovered typing in that field works just last week.  Boy, do I feel silly!

solarscreen

Every now and then I will start clicking and then ask myself why and then go type in my numbers.

We have gotten so addicted to clicking a mouse. I still remember the days before a mouse existed!  When I got into dekstop support, I taught myself how to navigate to every corner of Windows by keyboard alone so I would not waste time clicking.  Then I learned Powershell and do most of my support by command line.  Very helpful as a systems engineer!

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

irrelevant

I'm an accountant IRL, and back in the 90s I was starting to have problems with my back and my right arm and shoulder. I figured out that I was doing all this work with my right hand, constantly switching back and forth between mousing and using the 10-key. So I started mousing with my left hand. Took just a couple of days to develop proficiency. Ultimately my productivity is now higher, with no need any longer to switch continuously from mouse to 10-key and back again.

Such a small thing, yet it has been life-changing.

Demonocracy

Quote from: irrelevant on June 09, 2014, 05:57:50 AM
I'm an accountant IRL, and back in the 90s I was starting to have problems with my back and my right arm and shoulder. I figured out that I was doing all this work with my right hand, constantly switching back and forth between mousing and using the 10-key. So I started mousing with my left hand. Took just a couple of days to develop proficiency. Ultimately my productivity is now higher, with no need any longer to switch continuously from mouse to 10-key and back again.

Such a small thing, yet it has been life-changing.

Switching from right-handed to left-handed mouse control?  Good for you.  And may I say?  Impressive.  Very impressive.

I don't have the coordination.  See, my left hand is... well... not very bright.

irrelevant

Quote from: Demonocracy on June 09, 2014, 06:01:07 AM

Switching from right-handed to left-handed mouse control?  Good for you.  And may I say?  Impressive.  Very impressive.

I don't have the coordination.  See, my left hand is... well... not very bright.
Neither was mine. The first day was very painful, the second less so, by the third I didn't even notice.

The left hand can learn whatever it needs to.

RedKetchup

lol ya , haha mine too (my left hand is so ... stupid ^^) it cant even never find the WASD keys lol
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

mariesalias

Quote from: irrelevant on June 09, 2014, 06:07:39 AM
Quote from: Demonocracy on June 09, 2014, 06:01:07 AM

Neither was mine. The first day was very painful, the second less so, by the third I didn't even notice.

The left hand can learn whatever it needs to.

I agree, very impressive!

slink

It is so much more convenient to use the mouse with the left hand.  It frees up the right hand for the cursor and other control keys.  Of course, I am left-handed so it is natural for me, but my husband is right-handed and he uses his mouse left-handed also.

mariesalias

I find the idea intriguing. If I could somehow train myself to use my left hand for the mouse though, I suspect I'd have to get a different keyboard, as I can't see how I could play some of my games using the keyboard with my right hand. Maybe I am over-thinking it though? 

I have been trying to learn to use a joystick mouse (the technical term ;p) but failing so bad. I am so used to my Razer Naga with the side buttons, it is difficult to transition. I have to admit though that I probably give up too soon when trying to use it as I get impatient with myself. My current mouse is a few years old and becoming very temperamental, and has been 'fixed' once already, and I suspect is going to stop functioning well enough for me to use it before too long. 

Are there certain tasks/programs that help make it easier to break in learning a new mouse?

irrelevant

Quote from: mariesalias on June 11, 2014, 12:40:14 PM
Are there certain tasks/programs that help make it easier to break in learning a new mouse?
Yes, spending hours updating spreadsheets in Excel is ideal.  ;)   Continuous mousing and 10-key entry both.

The fancier your mouse, the harder this will be. Mine are always totally basic and non-ergonomic.

slink

Mine too, @irrelevant.  My mind boggles at the thought of repairing a $10 mouse, after using it for years.  Computer peripheral interfaces change more rapidly than I change my mouse.