News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Uneducated workers

Started by irrelevant, December 23, 2014, 09:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

It's well known that an uneducated chopper can produce but 3 firewood from a log, where an educated chopper gets 4. But I've never seen much discussion about the effects of a lack of education on the other professions.

For example, I've never had an uneducated blacksmith before. I was just watching my brand new dunce smith making iron tools. Consumption per normal, one iron, one log. Output? A single iron tool, where from an educated smith you get 2. Is this correct? If so it is huge. Its not just that the output is half as fast, but also the consumption of resources is double. Makes making iron tools look like a big loser.

What are the effects of education on the other professions?

RedKetchup

gonna try to tell you bro : it is from the numbers in the text files (.rsc)
the int_low = uneducated , the int_high = educated

farmer crop :
   int _lowCreateCount = 20;
   int _highCreateCount = 28;

farmer orchard :
   int _lowCreateCount = 50;
   int _highCreateCount = 65;

fisherman:
   int _lowCreateCount = 5;
   int _highCreateCount = 7;

herbalist:
   int _lowCreateCount = 2;
   int _highCreateCount = 3;

tavern:
   int _lowCreateCount = 7;
   int _highCreateCount = 10;

hunter venison:
   int _lowCreateCount = 160;
   int _highCreateCount = 200;

pasture beef/mutton:
   int _lowCreateCount = 160;
   int _highCreateCount = 200;

pasture leather: (same for hunters)
   int _lowCreateCount = 4;
   int _highCreateCount = 6;

pasture wool:
   int _lowCreateCount = 6;

pasture chicken:
   int _lowCreateCount = 4;

pasture eggs:
   int _lowCreateCount = 6;

woodcutter:
   int _lowCreateCount = 3;
   int _highCreateCount = 4;

blacksmith tools:
   int _lowCreateCount = 1;
   int _highCreateCount = 2;

gatherer :
   int _lowCreateCount = 16;
   int _highCreateCount = 22;

miner coal
   int _lowCreateCount = 3;
   int _highCreateCount = 4;

mining iron:
   int _lowCreateCount = 1;

mining stones:
   int _lowCreateCount = 1;

forester wood:
   int _lowCreateCount = 2;
   int _highCreateCount = 3;

tailor:
   int _lowCreateCount = 1;

did i missed something ?
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

Ouch! :o :D

Nope, that's pretty much it! Thanks, mon ami.

irrelevant

Now I'm thinking that all I need to do to make Banished more of a challenge is never to build any schools!

These are brutal reductions. Not only is production slower, but some of them are serious drains on resources, particularly logs.

You only get 2 logs from a tree, not 3. You only get 1 tool from a log, not 2. And of course the firewood thing. Logs become much more of a limiting factor. At least foresters don't plant slower.

Right? They don't, or do they?

Also, a 120-tile farm no longer can be relied on for 840 food. Instead, 600 will be the new max.

RedKetchup

no you cannot tell a forester to plant slower or faster with education or not.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

A Nonny Moose

Very useful dialogue, gents.  Solved a shilly-shally problem for me.  As an educator myself, I've always felt kind of guilty not building a school, but the personnel restrictions kind of militate against it.  "Damn the torpedoes.  Full speed ahead." (Admiral Farragut at the Battle of Lake Erie.)

Next day:  My, my, what a difference.  I built a school as soon as it made sense and it could be built from available resources.  Production essentially doubled and things are running well.  I guess uneducated boobs just fall all over themselves and make all kinds of mistakes.  Ran present city for four hours so far, and things are actually looking up in year 10.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

irrelevant

Here is a summary of the effects of an uneducated workforce I posted over on the Reddit sub. I though it would be good to have this information here on WOB.

The effect of an uneducated workforce vs an educated one really is a massive productivity hit (these numbers are without mods):

Firewood and especially tools are very bad. This is because there is are two compounding penalties, one for trees=>logs (and surface rocks=>iron), and then ones for logs=>firewood and for logs/iron=>tools, as follows:

With uneducated workers you get only 2 logs per tree rather than 3 with educated.

With uneducated workers you get only 2 1 iron per rock rather than 3 2 with educated.

With uneducated workers you get only 3 firewood per log, so that means one tree can yield only 6 firewood, rather than 12 with educated workers from the same inputs in the same amount of time; your firewood production is cut in half with uneducated workers.

With uneducated workers you get only 1 tool per log+iron rather than 2 with educated, so that means with uneducated workers 1 tree + 1 iron rock=>2 tools 1 tool plus one log leftover, rather than 6 tools 4 tools plus one log leftover with educated workers from the same inputs in the same amount of time; your tool production is cut by 3/4s with uneducated workers. This is the biggest hit of all.

Since you also get 2 1 stone/surface rock instead of 3 2, your stone production (from surface rocks) will be reduced by 1/3 cut in half.

Other hits:

Uneducated farmers and fishers produce 5 food/square rather than 7. So you will get 600 food/season from a 120-square farm rather than 840 (29% less food)

Uneducated hunters produce 160 food and 4 leather/deer rather than 200 and 6 (20% less food and 33% less leather). Uneducated herdsmen have the same penalties (except that, unaccountably, uneducated shepherds get the same amount of wool from sheep that educated ones do. I suppose that is due to the fact that the sheep themselves are not less intelligent, just the shepherds).

Uneducated tailors produce 1 coat for 2 wool/leather, rather than 2 coats. So, since your leather production is reduced by 1/3, this means your clothing production will be cut by 2/3s (except for wool coats, which are only cut in half), just as bad as tools.

Mines and quarries total capacity is halved, and output speed will be halved as well, in addition to increased chances for uneducated miners and stonecutters to be crushed by falling rocks.

Uneducated gatherers collect 16 food per gathering action, rather than 22 (so, a gatherers hut with uneducated gatherers will produce 28% less food than one with educated gatherers).

Uneducated brewers produce 7 ale from a batch of input (30 fruit, 60 berries, 100 wheat) rather than 10 (30% less ale)

But other than that, uneducated workers are just great. /s =]

Don't get me wrong, it is quite possible to have a successful town without building schools. In fact in my current town I am trying for tenure with a 100% uneducated workforce http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=726.0. But the game is completely different, and far more challenging (read: difficult), with no schools.

Many thanks to @Nilla and @RedKetchup, who got me started thinking about the effects of a lack of education, and who provided me with important raw data.

A Nonny Moose

Thanks for this.  Often the stumbling block is trying to get enough stone to build a school.  I would have thought in a primitive society the school house would be more wood and less stone.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on January 30, 2015, 01:39:29 PM
Here is a summary of the effects of an uneducated workforce I posted over on the Reddit sub. I though it would be good to have this information here on WOB.

. . . .

With uneducated workers you get only 2 logs per tree and 2 iron per rock rather than 3 with educated.

. . . .

Since you also get 2 stone/surface rock instead of 3, your stone production (from surface rocks) will be reduced by 1/3.

I knew that educated gave more production and always get a school up ASAP (my goal is before the first child born in the settlement turns 10, but sometimes I can get the youngest original child in school, too), but this shows why even resource gathering seems easier after most people are educated. Thanks for the numbers, @irrelevant.

irrelevant

Brugle

With uneducated workers you get only ... 2 iron per rock rather than 3 with educated.
Since you also get 2 stone/surface rock instead of 3, your stone production (from surface rocks) will be reduced by 1/3.
Are you sure?

With educated laborers using Collect Stone and Collect Iron, I get 2 stone/surface rock and 2 iron/surface ore block.

irrelevant

Quote from: Brugle on March 06, 2015, 04:48:58 PM
With uneducated workers you get only ... 2 iron per rock rather than 3 with educated.
Are you sure?

With educated laborers using Collect Stone and Collect Iron, I get 2 stone/surface rock and 2 iron/surface ore block.
@Brugle I just spent 10 minutes following my laborers around, and you are absolutely right! And uneducated get just 1. Thanks for speaking up!

So the uneducated penalties are even worse than I thought.

A supply chain of uneducated workers will make 75% fewer iron tools in the same amount of time and with the same inputs as educated workers.

Chon Waen

I usually play on medium disasters off, and my beginning game is basically thus:
Year 0 (pause before doing anything)
Plan your town, making use of road tool to determine initial placement of my marketplace(tends to be the center of any community). 
Place tailor, workshop, woodcutter, school near marketplace then pause construction on all of these. Place hunters so your circle will be just shy of main roads spokeing off of market. Place gatherers and foresters at a crossroads made by your hunting cabin. Place barn and 5x5 stockpile appropriately nearby. Pause all those constructions.
Place boarding house just outside of the circle made by your forest industries, and within the circle made by your yet to be built marketplace, and pause construction.
Plan and place first permanent set of homes, and pause construction.

Time to roll!

To be done by end of year 1:
2) build gatherers hut and foresters.
3) build  boarding house
4) build a woodcutter and nearby 6x6 stockpile for firewood.
To be done by year 2:
1) Build barn and hunter's lodge near the forester/gatherer
2) build tailor's and workshop.
3) Start building school, but pause construction once all materials are on-site.

Afterwards:
Build marketplace, assign 1-2 vendors to clear out most of your barns, then (probably) remove your original barn and stockpile.
Build an herbalist.
Begin building permanent homes.

I try to keep at least 2 laborers and 2 builders operating through this process.
Once I reach 19 working adults, I finish the school and assign a teacher.

At this point, my adults have the following jobs:
2 laborers
2 builders
4 gatherers
3 hunters
1 woodcutter
1 tailor
1 blacksmith
1 vendor
2 foresters
1 herbalist
1 teacher

And I'm off to a solid start and will usually have 0 uneducated by year 16-20 or so depending on how long my firsters live.

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on March 08, 2015, 01:20:01 PM
So the uneducated penalties are even worse than I thought.

A supply chain of uneducated workers will make 75% fewer iron tools in the same amount of time and with the same inputs as educated workers.

Remember the challenge that had all uneducated workers and stone houses? I forget the name now.  ::)  Anyway, I just about went nuts dealing with the constant tool shortage despite having 2 or 3 times the normal number of blacksmiths. This puts a number to the reason. Holy (expletive deleted)!

irrelevant

Quote from: Chon Waen on March 08, 2015, 10:29:11 PM
I usually play on medium disasters off, and my beginning game is basically thus:
Year 0 (pause before doing anything)
Plan your town, making use of road tool to determine initial placement of my marketplace(tends to be the center of any community). 
Place tailor, workshop, woodcutter, school near marketplace then pause construction on all of these. Place hunters so your circle will be just shy of main roads spokeing off of market. Place gatherers and foresters at a crossroads made by your hunting cabin. Place barn and 5x5 stockpile appropriately nearby. Pause all those constructions.
Place boarding house just outside of the circle made by your forest industries, and within the circle made by your yet to be built marketplace, and pause construction.
Plan and place first permanent set of homes, and pause construction.

Time to roll!

To be done by end of year 1:
2) build gatherers hut and foresters.
3) build  boarding house
4) build a woodcutter and nearby 6x6 stockpile for firewood.
To be done by year 2:
1) Build barn and hunter's lodge near the forester/gatherer
2) build tailor's and workshop.
3) Start building school, but pause construction once all materials are on-site.

Afterwards:
Build marketplace, assign 1-2 vendors to clear out most of your barns, then (probably) remove your original barn and stockpile.
Build an herbalist.
Begin building permanent homes.

I try to keep at least 2 laborers and 2 builders operating through this process.
Once I reach 19 working adults, I finish the school and assign a teacher.

At this point, my adults have the following jobs:
2 laborers
2 builders
4 gatherers
3 hunters
1 woodcutter
1 tailor
1 blacksmith
1 vendor
2 foresters
1 herbalist
1 teacher

And I'm off to a solid start and will usually have 0 uneducated by year 16-20 or so depending on how long my firsters live.

I will normally try to get a school built in time for the oldest child to become a student. I will accept the delay in getting additional laborers; I'd rather have that than any uneducated workers dragging things down. Seems like if I have even one uneducated worker, that person winds up becoming my blacksmith!  ;D