News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant - Rickettsville, a vegetarian experiment

Started by irrelevant, June 30, 2014, 05:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

I'm going to blog my town for the vegetarian challenge. Going to start out doing it anyway.

Rickettstown: 352052706 valleys large fair off medium

Starting out with a 9 year-old and two 8 y/o, so getting the school down fast is #1.
Next the gatherer.
I've decided to build a boarding house to save on fuel. Never tried this but it seems like a sound idea. This will allow me to build only stone houses when the time comes for that.
I've got beans and corn, so I'm going to make one 10x12 farm with a single farmer, maybe double up come harvest. Alternate crops from one year to the next.
Lots of stone and iron, not so much timber. I'll figure something out.

irrelevant

Unfortunately the 9 y/o turned 10 in Spring (no way you can build a school that fast--I tried 3 times, lol), but the 2@8 y/o are in school.

I'm happy with my decisions so far. Barn has lots of goodies, and the herbalist is coming along. Crop is coming in, on schedule to be an 840.
Not enough logs, stone, or iron in stock, seems like I'm always on the edge there.

irrelevant

Some more decisions:

1) This obviously is going to develop slowly, so I'm going to put a forester where I want there to be trees, rather than where there are trees now. One forester set to plant only. We'll see how long that takes to pay off. A stone house for him.
2) Going to need a TP fast. Gotta import leather or wool or both, for coats. Down half a heart already.
3) Built a Chopper to get out ahead of the firewood, but so far I'm only burning 25 per year.
4) When the chopper isn't chopping he'll be making iron tools, or coats (in the future) or schlepping.
5) I have the first TP laid out. There's room for two more there just to the left, plus spaces for bridges in between.
6) The market is going straight south of the TP, just on the south side of where that road will be when it's extended.

irrelevant

Unexpected bonus : with everyone living in the boarding house, with the school right across the street, my first student has become a laborer at age 16. I'll never forget this. I think BH may be the way to go at the start.

An 840 corn harvest.

Just need a bit more stone and I'll start the first TP. When it's complete I'll build another right away. I know I can't staff them, or stock them (I'll put a bit of something in each), but the important thing is to get the Merchants coming. If the Resource guy or the General guy shows with leather and/or wool, I'll pin him and put everyone on stuffing that TP with firewood, herbs, beans, corn, iron, stone, a tool or two, whatever I can grab to trade for textiles.

Yes, obviously I need to build a tailor  ;)

solarscreen

First of all:  Rickettsville?  ROFL

Second:  YES! Blog it, blog it!

Lastly:  I ALWAYS start with a boarding house.  When I saw how well it works just starting out, I never went back.
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

irrelevant

Actually it should be called Kwashiorkorville, but I think I'd burn out on typing that pretty fast.

Had to pull the gatherers off and make them cut stone instead. The barn was almost full, and the last thing I want right now is to build another one.

And anyway, the first TP is almost up. After that, I'm not sure yet. Need more logs. I can afford to build the tailor and another forester, this one set to cut and plant, south of the gatherer/herbalist. Can I man both foresters? Maybe...

irrelevant

Okay, TP is up. Here's what I'm going to put in it, as much to free storage space as anything. Hopefully I'll get a good merchant.

Meanwhile, building the forester. I'll build the tailor when I get something to sew....

Also going to want houses before too long, the two recent graduates are M/F. Not going to fall into the wooden house trap though.

irrelevant

Starting year three. Working on getting logs, and waiting for the first merchant.

BTW, everyone please feel free to chime in here with comments, questions, or WTF-are-you-doings. I'm the first to admit I don't know every damn thing. Always glad to learn something new.

irrelevant

So much fun in the early going. Everything is important, and you can follow individuals around to see what they are doing, and try to figure out why they aren't doing what you want them to! ;D

TP is stocked. With what is in there I can buy 66 each of leather and wool. If I don't get that, I'll buy some logs (hopefully)  :-X

If I get food, seeds, or livestock, time to think about building that second TP. But I would buy a few boxes of walnuts.

Got another laborer coming out soon  :D

In two winters I've used less than 100 firewood.

irrelevant

Yeah, that's all right for you, you white-tailed rat-bastards!

solarscreen

Quote from: irrelevant on June 30, 2014, 07:51:20 PM
Yeah, that's all right for you, you white-tailed rat-bastards!

The deer will be crawling all over that village...
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

irrelevant

Yeah they will be  >:(

Start of Year 4. Produced over 3000 food each year. Just got another laborer, with one more to come in the next month or two. After that, there are 4@12 y/o :P. The pace may start to pick up then.

Time to plan for building another gatherer and a forester, this time in the forest off to the west. I have a house planned over there as a start. Need at least one more house and a barn, then the gatherer, then more houses and the forester. It'll take some time to do all that.

In the meantime, started a second house at the upper left corner of the planned market.

irrelevant

The merchant's here, the merchant's here!

Oh. Pears. Well, at least we can order some nuts. What is this, Harry and David?

Time to build the second TP.

Bobbi

Just one question. If it is a medium start, why did you not pick one with nuts and grain? Did it feel to much like cheating? I spent over an hour last night trying to find a decent med start seed with grain and nuts....haven't found one yet I really like.

RedKetchup

seed 2127 is very decent with wheat and nuts
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .