News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Mod Set: South Africa In Progress

Started by angainor88, August 19, 2017, 06:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angainor88

Second floor house complete!

(sorry for the delays, I've restarted playing Fallout 4... my settlements need me!)

Next up I think is the school, then maybe the mosque or the hospital, and a records hall type thing. Also a restaurant!

angainor88

Work is still going slowly, but I finished the Open Schoolhouse!

galensgranny

I am glad to see further development with this set!  I look forward to when they are ready for downloading.

angainor88

Need a little advice/help for this next part:

I finished building the mosque, but I wanted to change the default "priest" and "chapel" icons. I edited them in the Resource folder, but it didn't seem to change it in game. Do I need to re-run the build resources.bat? or something else entirely?

Thanks!

RedKetchup

you must never never never change anything in the resource folder!
you need to work inside your own mod folder, never the game resources folder.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

angainor88

Well with your help, it's complete. I am going to release it as a separate mod from the rest of the South African buildings.

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=431

Thank you again, RedKetchup!

galensgranny

The mosque looks great!  I love the style and that it is colorful.

angainor88

Here is a small one for the set, but here is the African Beehive!

galensgranny

More colorful things!  Nice bee hives!  One day I plan to make a colorful only section, so your buildings will be there!

angainor88

Well I will have to hurry and finish the set then :)

I am glad you like them!

Voeille

I like them, I sometimes make more colourful districts and these would fit there nicely :) Would you consider adding shading? that would make them look even better :)

angainor88

I do have AO maps on them that show up in blender, but they never seem to look the same in game...

I am not super skilled at digital art haha, and am still learning how to use gimp without tearing my hair out.

Voeille

Shading directly on the texture is important too :) You often might want subtle shading that uses a darker colour of your texture (not just transparent black), and make it more detailed. I have a good example of a lamp I made some time ago for The Sims 2 (but it'll work similarly in Banished too, after all a model is a model and a texture is a texture; I'm in the process of putting my plants into Banished and I don't need to alter things except for the scaling). Here is the final look, and here is the texture. For comparison, here is the lamp before shading, and here is the texture. As you can see, shading made a lot of difference to the final look.

Now for a Banished example, here is my fern in progress (don't worry about the massive size, there will be smaller variants :)), here is the texture, and here is the AO. As you can see, most of the shading work is done on the texture. AO also affects how snow appears on the texture (you can see here that there's less snow near the roots, exactly where my AO is darker).

I hope it helps :) Feel free to open those textures I posted in Gimp and take a closer look.

angainor88

Well that was an unexpected hiatus (too many June weddings to go to). But I finished the Cape Town Clocktower! I tried to do some more advanced shading techniques... not sure how they turned out haha. I think the problem is that since the buildings in real life are painted and smooth it's hard to give them extra texturing? I dunno. Working on it haha

galensgranny