News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Festival Grounds - Story 69

Started by Abandoned, May 31, 2021, 06:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Chapter 16

Well, 3 of the 4 snails were off, the blue snail racing under the blue flag sat a long time at the starting line before following the others.  The snails racing under the green and red flags soon took the lead.  Well, not really soon, the autumn leaves were already beginning to fall.  Suddenly green flag snail turned and veered off the track headed for the small herb that sprouted along the fence.  Spectators took a step back.  The white flag snail caught up to the red, blue still lagged behind traveling at a snails pace.  The green flag snail was eliminated from the race for leaving the track and was returned to his storage crate.  The white flag snail took the lead just as the first frost of the season hit, oh this was so exciting.  White snail maintained his lead as the first snow flakes began to fall.  The die-hard fans were not dissuaded, they stayed at the fences cheering their favorites on, but they appreciated the coverings that were built for them to stand under.  There was cheering when blue snail caught up to the other 2 and then the race was neck and neck.  Blue was slightly ahead but when the three approached the finish line it was anybody's race.  Which snail would win? red, white, or blue.   It was a real nail-biter.

kid1293

MiriamWTH

Which one won! I can't stand the excitement! :P
This forum is now my go to every evening, for amusement and just reading up on Banished generally.  :-*

Abandoned

??? oh, another of my cliff-hanger  ;D  The winner is - Breaking news, tomorrow  ;D

Kristahfer

I'm sitting on pins and needles.

I love it !

Abandoned

Abandoned

Chapter 17

There was much cheering when the snail racing under the white flag was declared the official winner of the First Annual Hobbit Festival Snail Race.  The crowds dispersed after the race and the four tired snails were taken to an exhibit tent built for them nearby where they would rest until next year's race.   The talk at the Green Dragon that winter was all about that race.

About the only thing that could compete for attention was the puppet show that was built in the children's rest area across the stream from the food tent.  The mothers liked having something that kept the children sitting still and in one place for more than a few minutes.

The field we cleared next to the Green Dragon was planted with strawberries in preparation for the midsummer day celebration but the strawberries seemed to be off to a slow start.  Maybe because we were comparing the strawberry field to the 3 vegetable patches the swamp dwellers planted by the corn roast.  The compost they were making in the vendors area must be really good, the home grown onions, tomatoes, and bell peppers were off to a good start.

Glenn

I see onion, pepper and tomato patches -  are they new or hidden in a mod I haven't been using?

Abandoned

@Glenn  The clue is in the chapter "the home grown onions, tomatoes, and bell peppers were off to a good start".  The patches are part of the sneak peak at the new Kid Home Grown mod. The patches use compost from the compost bin included in the mod along with the cleaning shed and more. The mod will be further tested in the next story before it is released. 

Glenn

Thank you for that, -  Kid's patches and gardens are some of my favourites

katbarf

Ooo I'm so addicted to Kid's garden stuff too. Can't wait! This is so beautiful.

Abandoned

:)

Chapter 18

A cart was now selling home grown vegetable in the vendors area but a crowd was gathering over by the garden patch area to see what the swamp dwellers were doing with the peppers.  They placed one large red and one large yellow pepper near the onion patch and began feeding them compost.  The peppers grew, and grew, and when full grown, to the amazement of the onlookers, they brought wood to add doors and windows.  They were making themselves Home Grown pepper houses and moving out of the boarding houses and into them.  This was good news for us, we were wondering how we would build enough houses when we had constant log shortages due to the need for firewood for housing and food venues.  This type of housing was revolutionary.

They built a few more Home Grown houses before stating on another project next to the pepper patch.  This pepper grew even bigger than the others.  They added more windows and stairs leading up to the door.  When they began taking in tomatoes, onions, and peppers, we realized they were making homemade salsa, a wonderful mixture to add to meat and fish dishes here at the festival.  And those pepper houses were so decorative even in winter, they became part of the exhibit area next door.  Everyone had to come and take a look at them.

jerica

Pepper houses, oh my goodness!  ;D  :o  ;D

Abandoned

:)  Mod note:  The Garden Supply shed shown in the Vendors Area is from the Kid GrowHuntFish mod, one has now been added to Kid Home Grown.  Also added, for those who may want salsa but not a giant red pepper, is a Salsa Store in vanilla texture to match the Garden Supply and Cleaning Shed.  The Garden Supply Shed and Salsa Store will be tested in next story.  Here is picture of Salsa Store.

Abandoned

Chapter 19 Part 1

Oh sorry, weary traveler, I've kept you long enough with my chatter.  First thing you will want to do is find lodging.  You might want to stay at the swamp dweller's new Home Grown Hostel.  They grew it from one of the turkey farmyard's pumpkins.  You'll find it down past the waterfront area.  Of course there are other lodgings to choose from; there are 2 boarding houses and 2 rooming houses.  And don't forget to check at the Post Office in case someone's left a message for you.  As I said before, you'll find plenty to see and do and, of course, to eat.  Here take this  brochure, it gives an overview of the Festival Grounds and tells about the different areas and attractions.  There's a map with Lodging and Rest Areas marked.  There's also information about Old Town and the latest town statistics.