News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Greenwood in the Green Woods - Story 71

Started by Abandoned, July 31, 2021, 05:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Intro

This is the 71st story in the Smallville Series and tells about the settlement that the Elves who help the swamp dwellers in the previous story came from.  Their settlement of Greenwood is in the Green Woods over the mountains to the northwest of Marshfield (story 70) and north of Mountain Mines (story 8 ).  It is being told by the Elf known as Swamp Elf after she and her husband returned home to Greenwood in year 76 SVT.

The map seed  # 39453088       One River Valley,  Small,  Mild,  Disasters Off,  Family Start Easy Seed

Mods activated for this map and load order are:

Map Changing and Starting Mods:   Banished UI Maps, Labor Window, RK Minimized Status, CC Light Rain, Lush & Green, override Map, Settler Deco, Kid Tree Replacer Only Pines, New Flora Edit, override Fewer Trees, Family Starts 

Tweak Mods:     Better Fields, Fishing Dock +25%, Hunting, Hunting Season, Increased CC, 1:1 Alternative (Voeille), override Fairy Clothes, Rocks Respawn, Tiny Smoke

Major or Must Have Mods:    An Empty Square, Fenceless Pasture, Nomads (Kid), override Uneducated, Storage Crates, Kid Abandoned Places SE, Kid Fairy Garden, Kid Fairy Tale, Kid Workplace

Supporting Mods:   Campfire, Deco Sunflower, Kid Deco People, Kid Farmyard, Kid Fruit and Nut (new, testing), Kid Hedgerow, Kid Work Shop, Tiny Chopper

Mod note:  new Kid Fruit and Nut mod consists of 8 orchard patches with different combinations of fruit and nut trees plus one small patch of sunflowers.   

Yes, weary traveler, I'm the one they called the Swamp Elf in Marshfield but I was not born in the swamp.  I'm a Wood Elf.  I came to the Green Woods from the north woods with my husband and newborn.  We were one of the founding families of Greenwood.  We only recently returned from Marshfield.  We Elves are always called on to help humans with disease outbreaks because of our healing abilities or with disasters because of how we commune with nature.  We are also protectors of the animals and the forests which is the reason we came here to the Green Woods in the first place.  Come, sit by the campfire and I will tell you more.

jerica

Quote from: Abandoned on July 31, 2021, 05:58:18 AM

Mod note:  new Kid Fruit and Nut mod consists of 8 orchard patches with different combinations of fruit and nut trees plus one small patch of sunflowers.   

Oooooooo!  :D  Looking forward to this one.

taniu

@Abandoned  ;D ;D ;D yes yes yes - a great start, maybe there will be a lot of trees and fishing, I love nature - I love forests and I love forest elf, but it's a pity that  there is no  - reality - a new great story promises to be. Regards

Abandoned

:) Nice to have story start with such enthusiasm. I love the forests too, Taniu, and the new Fruit and Nut trees fit in so nicely.  I sure you, Kristahfer, and jerica  will like them.  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 1

It was the Elven Council of Elders who called for volunteers to come here to protect the Green Woods.  They were concerned because the railroad company, that was responsible for the mass destruction when they jammed the main river with logs, had now connected with the tracks in the Chattachoo valley.  Those tracks were laid by the 2nd expedition from Smallville. People never learn, they destroyed most of that valley's trees expanding the railroad.  They soon had tracks laid in all directions and had started digging tunnels.  The Green Woods had to be protected. 

The Council studied the area by gazing into their crystal balls.  Chattachoo was to the east and the Mountain Mines to the south.  The area chosen for us promised to have manna crystals used in Elven magic.  We would establish a settlement near the river and High Elves from Crystal Canyon who use magic would soon follow. They would occupy the area out of view from the river.  The Council conjured magic portals to transport us and our supplies to the area.  They sent a tree fellow to guard the portal, more of them would soon follow to help protect the forest.

There were 24 of us, 16 adults with 8 children and 2 more on the way.  My husband, Gerhardin and I, at age 22, were the elders of the group.  My name is Dottiliana, Dotti for short.  By early autumn we had 8 tree houses, a frock maker, and a storage barn built.  We were catching fish from a fishing tree on the river and were collecting branches and wild foods from the woods and from a nearby hedgerow.  A hunter kept the campfire burning.  He had an Elven bow with enchanted arrows.  The evergreen woods were lush and green, we named our settlement Greenwood.

Abandoned

Chapter 2

We found a suitable tree to store town records in, we knew the High Elves would want to know town statistics when they arrived.  The High Elves were more civilized than us Wood Elves.  We preferred living off the land by hunting and gathering.  There was a nice summer hedgerow right by our treehouse.  The High Elves send several small fairies with seeds and seedlings and a fairy dust plant.  They soon had a summer fairy garden growing with an apple tree, potatoes, peppers, beans, and cabbage.  Some wild oats and mushrooms soon spouted and wild bees were attracted by the squash blossoms and would pollinate them.

The High Elves arrived in spring of year 2.  There were 15 of them, 11 adults with 4 children.  They brought more tree fellows and little fairies with them.

Abandoned

Chapter 3

The High Elves set right to work building a row of 3 mountain houses and 3 ground level houses.  We were concerned with the number of trees they were cutting but they assured us they found a mother tree over the mountain to the east and they already had foresters planting more trees.  They found crystals among the stones and surface iron not far from their houses where they immediately built a crystal garden to start harvesting them.  Some were used to build the magic school next to the tree of leaflets.  Our children were welcome to attend but only purebred Elves could learn magic spells.

The High Elves built a medium size storage barn and another stockpile near the school and built 2 small trellises to grow the vines they would use to make Elven bow.  There were several large herds of deer nearby and they would be hunted with Elven bows and enchanted arrows that would cause no pain.  We were told that by all means we should continue hunting to provide venison and hides.  After checking inventory records they saw the need.  They did not come to take over running our settlement, it would be a joint effort.  They were happy to hear our frock maker was now making linen clothes from the flax we gathered.  The tool supply was low and of immediate concern when in spring of year 3, 24 more Elves arrived.  There were 18 adults with 6 children and more tree fellows and fairies too.

Bluebird88

Glad to see a new village & excited for the new orchard mod! I love the summer fairy garden  :)

Abandoned

:)  I think that summer fairy garden may be my favorite.  I love those bean trellises  :)  The new fruit and nut patches are just basic so player can add whatever deco plants they want to match their towns.

Abandoned

Chapter 4

We set up a small workplace anvil by one of our stockpiles to make iron tools and the High Elves began using magic spells to make hardened tools in their newly built spell tower.  When the tool supply was stable they would switch to making elven bows to be used in the nearby hunter tower.  They built a magical garden to supplement the food supply until then.  Housing for the newcomers was now first priority.

Some decisions had to be made first.  We Wood Elves are well know and welcome throughout the forest lands.  The High Elves are a bit more elusive, they prefer their privacy and secluded areas.  The evergreen Green Woods provide both.  They would build a housing complex on this side of the mountain ridge out of view from the river.  The other side along the river would be designated for our use and expansion.  A tunnel was dug through the mountain for easy access and a tree fellow stood guard on both sides.  By late autumn a hostel was built and the first family moved into the first complex home.  By Spring of year 4 all the new arrival had homes in the complex.

Abandoned

Chapter 5

Another complex house was built hoping that the single female, 9 year old Jocely, would move out of the hostel but she stayed there with 8 year old Kartell instead.  Amandon moved out and into the new house alone.  By late summer a market was built nearby.  A production center would be built on the other side.  There was plenty of room there to expand food production which was next on the to do list.

Inventory records showed a lack of grain, there were only a few wild oats that had been gathered.  Both Wood Elves and High Elves agreed that farm fields would result in a loss of many trees and large areas of fertile soil would be exposed to the elements.  Instead the High Elves built a greenhouse to raise oats year round and the crop would be enriched with compost made from excess vines not used by the spell tower bow maker. Excess vegetables could also be composted.  We planted a patch of sunflowers and the ripe sunseeds that fell could be harvested well into the winter months.  Fruits and nuts would make for a healthy natural diet.

Abandoned

Chapter 6

One of the skills us Wood Elves excel at is scouting.  We finally had time to do more exploring of our surroundings.  Our rangers found two patches just east of our tree house grove.  One patch had two chestnut trees and an assortment of spice plants and shrubs.  Roast chestnuts would be a nice winter treat.  The other patch had a good size plum tree and a few hazelnut bushes.

Gerhardin and I ventured through the tunnel for the first time.  We found a few trees suitable for tree houses and Kartell and Jocely moved from the complex hostel into them.  They were best friends but too young to become a couple.  There were plenty of young people their age that they could pair up with when the time came.

Jocely chose the smaller of the two treehouses and she moved in just in time to harvest the end of the season strawberries and cherries from the patch next to her house.

Abandoned

Chapter 7

We decided the riverbank on that side of the mountain ridge would be a good spot for a trading post, not that we needed to trade so much as we need news about that railroad.  We elves were pretty self reliant.  Before the trading post was complete we got some news from an unsuspected source. 

A group of 9 human adults and 4 children arrived from the west.  They were surveyors sent from Chattachoo to scout the land for expanding the railroad.  They had been lost in the mountains for more than 2 years now.  Group after group had been sent in all directions through those tunnels and none had returned.  They would be most grateful to settle with us permanently.

We built a nice house by the trading post for one family while the others waited in the hostel.   We did not want them spending a lot of time in such close proximity to the High Elves and their magic.  Another nice house was built across from the first, it had a lovely porch with a view of the river.  Two more tree houses were carved out for young singles, 8 year old Hessica found a patch with peach and pecan trees, 12 year old Estherford would fish from the fishing tree near his treehouse.  Another tunnel with a tree fellow guard on both sides made access to the area easier.

Abandoned

Chapter 8

Our first priority was carving out another treehouse for 16 year old Harmond and building a nice cottage by the tunnel for the family of 4.  All the surveyors were now housed on the river side of the mountain ridge.

Our next priority was protecting the forest to the east.  The news about Dwarves heading this way was not good.  Other than fighting with them to save Middle Earth, the history between Elves and Dwarves was not good.  There could be trouble ahead.  We needed a force of tree fellows on our side and to that end we designated an area south of the market as a tree fellow breeding grounds.  No fence could contain a male tree fellow but an equal number of female trees and a feeding grounds of apples and walnuts would keep them there.  The fruit and nut patch we found made this the perfect location for the breeding grounds.  We would soon have a small army of tree fellows.