News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Linux Corner

Started by A Nonny Moose, September 13, 2015, 02:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangaea

Fetched ClamAV and managed to update the database before scanning the computer. Didn't find anything on the linux partition, but did locate two files on the main data partition. Doesn't look like anything too dodgy, and it was in zip files of old files that haven't been used in probably years.

Found 2 possible threats (425461 files scanned).

/mnt/BigGun/# Software #/SopCast-3.5.0.zip                             Win.Worm.Runouce-456     
/mnt/BigGun/GOG Games/Backup/Baldur's Gate/mods/old/bgtrainer.zip      Trojan.Packed-4       

I deleted them, but I do doubt this will have caused the game to repeatedly crash, intermittently. It would actually be better if the game simply wouldn't run or the saves crashed instantly, as then I wouldn't invest hours upon hours into the saves first, and getting my hope up it actually works this time.

Pangaea

Sheesh. Can't believe I'm still knocking my head against this wall. I even considered launching Windows to see if it works there (but got cold feet at the thought of all the updates that would needed installing, plus possibly other stuff as I've basically never used it beyond initial install and updates - at least 6 months ago).

I have wine separately installed from before, and after much mucking about got something called MapFinder for Civilization 4 working. wine is only version 1.6.2, but I'm a little worried about cleaning it out entirely and update, as MapFinder will surely go out the door then. It's something I need if I'm going to play for the Hall of Fame in that game again.

Anyway, does this look like a decent start, or should I be worried about those error messages, like the last one about 64 bit?

I did these first steps: http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#wineprefix (pts 7.1 and 7.2)

pangaea@thunderstruck ~ $ export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-banished
pangaea@thunderstruck ~ $ wine winecfg
wine: created the configuration directory '/home/pangaea/.wine-banished'
fixme:urlmon:DownloadBSC_OnProgress Unsupported status 3
fixme:wininet:InternetLockRequestFile STUB
fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0x114e2b8, overlapped 0x114e2d0): stub
p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/p11-kit-trust.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/p11-kit-trust.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0x10fe890, overlapped 0x10fe89c): stub
wine: configuration in '/home/pangaea/.wine-banished' has been updated.
p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/p11-kit-trust.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/p11-kit-trust.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
fixme:winediag:AUDDRV_GetAudioEndpoint Winepulse is not officially supported by the wine project
fixme:winediag:AUDDRV_GetAudioEndpoint For sound related feedback and support, please visit http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1960599
fixme:msg:pack_message msg 14 (WM_ERASEBKGND) not supported yet
pangaea@thunderstruck ~ $ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-banished winecfg
wine: WINEARCH set to win32 but '/home/pangaea/.wine-banished' is a 64-bit installation.

During those first three fixme lines, mono was downloaded and (hopefully) installed.

If this is entirely gibberish to others too, I'm kind of lost at sea :D

A Nonny Moose

The only thing I think we haven't checked is your game version.  I am running 1.04 Build 141103.

As far as I know, this is the latest.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

Pangaea

That is the one I'm running too, the latest from GOG.

Managed to get it running from 'normal' wine yesterday, but couldn't get any sound. Then started the POL version and tried a game without any mods. It's gone fine so far, but I'm only in year 6 or thereabouts, and typically the game has crashed later than that. It probably will again, but at least it was nice to play for some hours yesterday, despite "heart in throat" every time I manually saved.

Wish we could get to the bottom of this so I could play without crashes for truly long games (100+ years), but looks like it's beyond my abilities. I don't know enough about linux and don't know why it keeps crashing.

A Nonny Moose

Something @Paeng said in another thread triggered me to think that perhaps you might be having Registry trouble.  He seems to think that Banished and the Registry are not happy campers together.

I am using Windows 7 decor on my 32-bit prefix, and I don't change it.  Apparently adding mods to the game may raise problems with the registry.  Take a look at the discussion in the regular forum above on funny things arriving in a non-modded game.

I never run without the mods I've selected.

You do know that you can look at the Registry that wine prepares to hoax the programs.  Just open a console and type in: wine regedit

Pangaea

Sure as the sun is warm, it crashed again - twice. First time I was very lucky because I had just saved, and just clicked the Save button again to see the gap between the last few saves. Next time I lost half an hour of playtime (crashed when I attempted to save, before the actual saving), including getting chickens from a trader and frantically building a pen before they die. This last time there oddly wasn't an error message, and the game is still open, although unresponsive.

I actually cleared the registry yesterday. Had another look right now and there were some modIndex lines (in HKEY_USER), although everything looks in order, with a count from 0 to 11. I deleted them, though.

So... despite playing without any mods, the game still crashes. Did I tell you this was frustrating? :(

With decor, do you mean the below? I've used Windows XP so far because it's the default, but I can try Win 7 of course, and hope that somehow helps. Had a slight hope it was the mods that did it (despite it running fine with the same mods before, in Windows), but when the clean game crashes too, I'm out of ideas.

A Nonny Moose

Exactly. 

There may be some differences because I use a common prefix and have several apps loaded.

I just started up Banished when something else occurred to me.  Banished is very sensitive to losing focus while in game mode.  I have it suspended at the moment in options mode, but I have had instances of the game hanging if focus is removed (by switching desktops, for example) while the game is running.  This usually hangs my whole machine and I have to seize control and boot.

Paeng

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on September 17, 2015, 03:29:34 PMSomething Paeng said in another thread triggered me to think that perhaps you might be having Registry trouble.
Well, I don't have the first idea about Linux, so I don't know how much Win Registry figures...  :-[

Here are the links to two articles that list and describe many of the known problem -

http://banishedpeople.freeforums.org/about-fatal-error-in-runtime-x64-and-more-t109.html
and
http://banishedpeople.freeforums.org/starting-a-new-game-without-crash-t268.html

Hopefully you find something useful there  :)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

A Nonny Moose

Pangaea

Thanks guys. I actually came across the first link by @Paeng when searching for solutions over the last few days, very good stuff. Unfortunately nothing works on my end. Tried Windows 7 decor, but that totally messed up the sound for some reason. Tried a restart with nothing else open (or even run prior to the game), but it didn't help. Turned it back to Win XP and that fixed the sound issue. But first time I went to save, after maybe 20 mins of playing, the game crashed. That's with no mods, and I've only played to year 15-16, with a population of ~75.

Playing without mods is kind of frustrating anyway, with the few sheep I have screeching every 2 seconds, and the barns filling up in no time. That's why I wanted to play with the grain silo and the root cellar, to make food storage easier.

I keep coming back again and again, hoping it will work, but after trying so many things it's probably time for that idiot quote about trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results. :(

A Nonny Moose

As an experiment, I started a new town today on Windows 7 decor, played for an hour.  Then I reset to XP, and played for an hour.  No difference, no sound (yes I have the 2010 distro), and as near as i can tell, no difference.  (All on easy with large map).

I did try that trick of putting a fishing shack on an island (used the 1008 key) with a bridge to land, and the fish are rolling in gaily.  Kept my village alive in the first year when they didn't get all the crops in on time.

I am beginning to suspect that the problems @Pangaea is having are related to his machine rather than to the game.  If anyone wants to see it, here is my hardware configuration: http://www.ezlink.ca/~jwinterton/Hardware2.html

This Linux output is from the lshw command but to get this huge list you need to actually run it in super user state:  sudo lshw -html $>output.file

Pangaea

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on September 19, 2015, 01:03:38 PM

I am beginning to suspect that the problems @Pangaea is having are related to his machine rather than to the game.  If anyone wants to see it, here is my hardware configuration: http://www.ezlink.ca/~jwinterton/Hardware2.html

This Linux output is from the lshw command but to get this huge list you need to actually run it in super user state:  sudo lshw -html $>output.file

That could be a distinct possibility at this stage, as nothing seems to work. I had to remove the $ to get the code to work on my end (otherwise an empty file was created), but if it's possible to see any faults with my HW, then please take a gander at the attached file.

This is what I have with inxi -Fxz, which is recommended on the Linux Mint forums for getting help. Not as detailed, but easier to read.
System:    Host: thunderstruck Kernel: 3.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2)
           Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca
Machine:   Mobo: MSI model: Z87-G43 (MS-7816) version: 1.0 Bios: American Megatrends version: V1.6 date: 11/27/2013
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5-4670K CPU (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 27201.3
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz 3: 800.00 MHz 4: 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GK104 [GeForce GTX 770] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 770/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 346.82 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1: Intel 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2: NVIDIA GK104 HDMI Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-37-generic
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 2560.5GB (55.0% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST2000VX000 size: 2000.4GB temp: 39C
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: KINGSTON_SH103S3 size: 240.1GB temp: 34C 3: id: /dev/sdc model: ST3320620AS size: 320.1GB temp: 41C
Partition: ID: / size: 30G used: 7.9G (29%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 141G used: 122G (92%) fs: ext4
           ID: swap-1 size: 1.08GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C gpu: 0.0:32C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 168 Uptime: 2:13 Memory: 1560.7/7929.6MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4

Linux Mint can be upgraded to 17.2 as I'm running 17.1 right now, but there doesn't appear to be much of a change so I haven't upgraded. Everything is stable (Banished aside), so figured I didn't want to possibly break what wasn't broken.

A Nonny Moose

If you have the spare disk space, why not download Ubuntu 15.04 and give it a whirl.  Not a lot different from Mint, but I prefer the front end of the horse when working with something as mysterious as this.  Dual booting doesn't need all that much space, and you can share your files.

Pangaea

I chose Mint because I didn't want to use Ubuntu. They have made some decisions I don't agree with, that to me goes against what Linux should be about. I'd also need to change the partitions a bit, and I'm nervous for stuff like that, with a need to reduce active partitions with content. Unless it would work with a live CD. It might, but there could be problems with that too, of course, like slow-downs due to the OS being on a CD/DVD.

Guess I'll just have to live with the game not running properly on my PC for whatever reason. I do wonder if it could be sound related, because sometimes there is a crackling sound when I run Civilization 4, a bit similar to when I tried Banished in Win 7 decor.

A Nonny Moose

Interesting comment because Mint is dependent on Ubuntu unless they've changed since last I loaded it.

I doubt you can load wine on the hot disk, but it might be worth a try.  I would certainly update Mint to the very latest level.  Any Linux is an ongoing release candidate no matter what anyone says, so you might get an inadvertent fix.