News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

THE NORTH 6

Started by Tom Sawyer, December 09, 2017, 01:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taniu

@Tom Sawyer :D a lot of health and all the good, fruitful work on The North in 2019 .Cheers

darnokthemage

Changed plans, too much snow to take a good picture! Merry Christmas to everyone!

I was reading about names in 16th century Bothnia and am now wondering if the namelist of the Villagers can be changed?

Tom Sawyer

Best wishes to you all, too!

Much snow? That makes me jealous.^^ Here it's just raining.

Names of citizens are not accessible. It's on my wish list to have this list moved to an external file where it would be available for mods. The only thing I got to work was to change names of the starting people I did in my Anders and Ella scenario. Fortunately, the vanilla names are not too unfavorable for Nordic culture. For an Asian theme or such it would be more of a problem.

darnokthemage

Haha, i would gladly give you some snow if i could!

I've also been wondering how sheeps produce wool in the game? Are they a product of the slaughter of the sheep or more like the cows milk? Adding other pruducts that could be made with wool would make owning sheep more valuable, maybe tapestries or simply wool cloth would be good if we are maybe getting Linen cloth in the future.

The Wool cloth could even later be maybe processed into Wadmal in a Wadmalspress, which i could get a building for you to model if you want?

Tom Sawyer

A boatload in front of my window please.. :)

Wool comes over time dropping from sheep just like milk out of cows, yes. I made a note some time ago for Vadmal which was a special woolen fabric from Viking age and so important that it was also used as a standard measure for trading. It could be added but I'm not sure if it would be just an annoying intermediate product and where to produce it. My weaver's hut is already specialized in flax processing.

darnokthemage

Vadmal was also a very important product in 19th and 20th century Sweden. I would probably make the Vadmal Stamp (which is the thing that makes Vadmal from Wool) a side-building of the mill on the River, as they used water-power to power the big hammers.

I've been thinking of what more small trading items housestead workshops could produce, maybe think about adding slojd as a thing? It would be cheap but take quite a long time to make? it would represent small handmade items that are produces by households, like buckets and chests and embroideries.

darnokthemage

I really reccomend this Instagram if you want some inspiration for old nordic timber houses.

https://www.instagram.com/handkrafttimmerhus/

Tom Sawyer

Hi Darnok, sorry to be late here. Did not mod something since last year.^^ It sounds interesting about Vadmal even in industrial times. I think it can be a resource. With slojd/handicraft I'm not sure. What have I to imagine about this, like kitchen utensils or artwork? What could be the purpose in game? As a material for something or just to sell it away? Your instagram link is nice. They even have a picture of our village hall.. www.instagram.com/p/YKE9StprOD/ :)

Greetings!

darnokthemage

It was actually one of these i was talking about! Smoke-sauna or rök-bastu we call them, and they were used both as smokehouses and to prevent mold.

Tom Sawyer

Looks like I missed your suggestion last year @1. Maybe my granary resembles it the most. If not a specialized storage building for grain, then it would have to process something with an assigned worker. But this would mean to introduce any "raw grain resources" to dry or to thresh it there. Maybe too complicated. To increase the yield from crop fields in a more generalized way doesn't work in Banished. I could make it in civ5, where I was modding something last days. ;D

Tom Sawyer

Ah, it was together with the sauna. I remember pictures from those drying sheds for grain. Probably I had the same thought about it in game and just made your sauna suggestion. I still have the idea in mind, how it would be if the poor bannies would have to thresh their grain. Like it was in real before modern machines did it. Any thoughts?

Tom Sawyer

I mean in modern times, harvesters do thresh the grain already but before people had those machines it was a cumbersome work and additional steps. They went to the field for harvesting with a scythe like in Banished but did not get something edible. They had to thresh it at home or in a barn with a flail, to separate the grains from husks. It would be a processing step where a building like the riihi can improve something. But as i said, it would create intermediate products which we actually try to avoid. Probably, wheat and rye would get new models and be inedible, processed by threshing into "Grain" which would be stored in the granary and picked by the miller or by people for food. I could just use my annex workshop of the log cabins to let farmers thresh or they can do it in a Finish Riihi with a small advantage in yield or speed.

darnokthemage

Threshing would be the perfect reason to impliment round-barns and long-barns, which were for threshing and storing hay or other material.

Could get some pictures of a long-barn too, as we have one.

darnokthemage

Or it processes grain into smoked grain, which would give more food.

Gatherer

Would that make regular grain inedible or would they both be edible?
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.