News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Living near work with the latest patch

Started by mariesalias, June 11, 2014, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mariesalias

Has anyone else noticed lately that the people are not necessarily living closer to their work sites? In my Death Valley town I am seeing some odd placements with gatherers/hunters/foresters especially choosing locations that are not the closest but then, at the same time, they are dislocating woodcutters/farmers/herdsmen/fishermen who have homes right next to their production areas.

I did not notice this at all with the previous patch, only this last one. I am wondering if this is proving to be an issue for anyone else?

Kaldir

I've noticed that sometimes a worker lives pretty far from her/his workplace, even after a long while in which it could have been reshuffled. Most of the time the game figures it out pretty good though. The only other exception I've seen is when a couple moves into an empty house (new or after the last owner died). For a short time they still have their old jobs, which could be on the other side of the map.

Edit: I've only played one town with version 1.0.3 beta though (assuming you mean that version). And I don't pay constant attention to the workers, so it might have happened more often.

rkelly17

So far with 1.0.3, as with earlier versions, if I have someone with a long commute it is almost always because  of the way I have built houses. When I get the housing/jobs ratio in an area balanced the commuting takes care of itself. I wouldn't want to say that this is always true, but it has been when I've looked carefully.

mariesalias

Very Strange. I have not had a problem with this before this town. Maybe it is just the town. If i get a chance later, I'll put up some pictures to show what they are doing.

nmid

I would like to know too.. I haven't played for some time, but the fact that my forest circle houses might have city dwellers is pretty annoying.

Do let us know what you figure out..

I might just play 1.0.4/.5 directly :D

irrelevant

I'm still running 1.0

Two questions:
Should I upgrade to 1.03?
If I do, will I be able to continue with my current town?

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on June 17, 2014, 06:01:48 AM
I'm still running 1.0

Two questions:

Of course, the decision is yours. I upgraded because I got tired of seeing people die for no good reason. I have not had a problem with the game not sorting workplace distance issues any differently than it always did. Any time I've noticed a problem, it was my doing. Obviously that is my experience and I make no claim for it being universally true. I'm playing the Steam version of 1.0.3.

I think that in the blog about 1.0.2 Luke indicated that certain buildings in 1.0 or 1.0.1 maps might have to be destroyed and rebuilt, but I don't remember for sure. I've played 1.0.2 towns on 1.0.3, but I think that the big break is between 1.0.1 and 1.0.2.

mariesalias

So I did eventually get them to live near their workplaces but it took more houses in an area then it should have.

One area of homes  that was close to the forestry hub needed to be accessed through a tunnel and I am wondering if the game was not pathing them through it when figuring out the distance from their home to workplace? Or maybe it was confusing the AI? It is the only explanation I can think of for the game assigning them housing across the river in the farming community when there was housing nearby that was just going to laborers. This was in my Death Valley challenge town.   

Here are pictures to show the distances:

Farming/West side

Forestry hubs/East side

Distances are similar between the two housing areas for the forestry areas, but not at all for the farmers. I have never had farmers displaced like that when there was housing nearby for the forestry workplaces. I built the houses along the river on the farming side to get the hunters and such to move into them, so my farmers could live near their fields and not across the river. The original farming houses were with the barns, next to the fields, and close to the Marketplace. They (foresters, etc) also displaced the traders and the woodcutters on the Eastern side. I don't remember if I was able to get the two woodcutters living close to their jobs by the end or not. Of course, this turned out to be a horrible place for them as the trading posts would not deposit logs there and I refused to put stockpiles within the forest.

I am seeing a little bit of it in my Farming Challenge town but nothing too out-of-the-norm so far. I do only have one Forestry hub though in that town currently. I will be keeping an eye on it and plan to start another non-challenge town to see how it plays out in that. Maybe it was just something with that map?

I apologize for the delay in this reply.

Kaldir

Quote from: irrelevant on June 17, 2014, 06:01:48 AM
I'm still running 1.0

Two questions:

I know your trading posts will have to be rebuild before they have the increased volume from patch 1.0.2, but you could continu fine with current ones with the old volume. Luke says he tested opening a lot of old saves into the 1.0.2 game, and 1.0.3 is very close to 1.0.2. So I think it should work fine. There is no guarantee though.

If you continu your town in 1.0.3, the new saves you make cannot be opened in the 1.0.0 game though, if you would go back to that version.

Edit: Whether or not to upgrade is personal preference. Some think 1.0.3 is dumbed down from 1.0.0, others think it's a bliss. I find it working quite well in 1.0.3 myself, and like some of the improvements (trading post volume, grave decay) and some bugs in 1.0.0 were bothering me (unremovable roads, unusable area's when removing roads).

Kaldir

Quote from: mariesalias on June 17, 2014, 11:14:51 AM
So I did eventually get them to live near their workplaces but it took more houses in an area then it should have.

One area of homes  that was close to the forestry hub needed to be accessed through a tunnel and I am wondering if the game was not pathing them through it when figuring out the distance from their home to workplace? Or maybe it was confusing the AI? It is the only explanation I can think of for the game assigning them housing across the river in the farming community when there was housing nearby that was just going to laborers.

Does the game consider a tunnel as a road, or just as flat terrain? The latter might (partially) explain why the smaller distance through a tunnel might still be considered a longer commute time.

mariesalias

Quote from: Kaldir on June 17, 2014, 11:51:24 AM
Does the game consider a tunnel as a road, or just as flat terrain? The latter might (partially) explain why the smaller distance through a tunnel might still be considered a longer commute time.

I am not sure! I wish I had thought to check the work pathing when I still just had the houses in the starting area and the area through the tunnel.  I think if I start seeing this issue again, I will check the pathing tool to see if it can shed any light on the problem.

rkelly17

Remember that the game also selects builders near the build site if at all possible. I often find that when I open a new area I need to over-build by 2-3 houses to account for the first move-ins to be builders. That might explain the need to build more than seems necessary. I wonder how the game decides where to slot laborers?

I had a spot where people were going cross country even though I kindly supplied them with a tunnel and stone roads. Then I build fields and orchards which blocked access right up to the road that led to the tunnel. That seemed to get everybody on the road and through the tunnel. It turns out the people going cross country were coming from further East than I thought and cutting between houses and going cross-country from there was shorter for them. Once I blocked their most direct access, the road became shorter. My impression is they go for a straight line or as close as they can get rather than the fastest route.

irrelevant

Pop ~2100, and forty-three citizens died of starvation this winter. Mostly laborers, but also maybe 10 farmers, a couple builders, a trader, a brewer, an herbalist, two students, and a child (wtf?!). I'll be glad when this challenge is over, and I'll feel comfortable with starting a new game and upgrading to 1.0.3.

Seems like citizens are more prone to starvation in the winter?

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on June 26, 2014, 05:24:24 PM
Seems like citizens are more prone to starvation in the winter?

In 1.0 and 1.0.1 they are. That's when the farmers become laborers and take off across the map to do laborer work. In 1.0.2 and 1.0.3 there's not so much starvation, but laborers can get cold if they are out away from the built up area collecting resources.