News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Nilla- Rolesburn; an inexperienced mistake

Started by Nilla, June 11, 2017, 05:47:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brads3

it is funny and strange.lmao. i do hope you fix it since NECORA skipped town. where is TANNY???lolit is odd that it jumped thru the patches.

Nilla

There sure is something weird. I looked at my screenshots from yesterday evening, and saw that it was only the impressive flowers. ;) So I started the game to make a few new, to show the progress of this settlement. .............CRASH!   The last autosave also crashed but a very early save, before I made the loadorder changes didn't.

I have no time now, but I will do some tasting later this afternoon. In the meanwhile; one more flower screenshots. ;)

RedKetchup

does it happended at time to crash a boat merchant arrived ?
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Paeng

Quote from: Nilla on June 12, 2017, 02:52:23 AMJust a small warning to you Paeng

Yeah, good hint... I tried this out last night, with an additional 12 peeps (3 clicks)... it makes for an odd mix indeed (which in itself is a small challenge already). Since you mentioned it, I checked the male/female ratio, and sure enough I got like four rather mature women - which kinda upset my family planning...  :D

I also found it weird how the people were "distributed" to available housing - many insisted on staying single, despite plenty proper matches around (male + female + kid(s)), so I had to force a few rounds of fake-demolish before everybody settled in useful family units... seems to me that the regular match-making mechanism is out of order when adding peeps via debug.

In the end I was left with the four single women, all well into their 30's - they may not find a spouse on time any more...  :(

Other than that things are progressing quite well...  :)

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Nilla

No, @RedKetchup the crash doesn't come while playing. It comes directly, as I try to start the game. I tried 3 different saves, so it's not just one corrupted save.

Anyhow, I made some experiments. I don't understand a thing. I'm not sure, I need to or even want to. But there are two important things:

1. If you change mod orders in an existing game; there might be trouble! You may not notice at first but, but don't be surprised or annoyed if something unwanted happens.

2. Nat Div and Garden Walls Utility doesn't work together:

You can't grow both thatch and fodder. If NatDiv is above, the fodder farmer only harvest thatch, there's no fodder or flowers. If the GWU is above, there's no thatch anywhere on the map. But the map is full of fodder and flowers. This is the same, if you use FlaxPatch+NewPineFlora+MaritimesPineSet (as I did in my crashing game) or not (as I did in my experiment).

Here are my experiments. I'll try to tell my findings as structured as I can, if someone wants to understand.

As I said, I changed the loadorder between NatDiv and GWU in my game Rolesburn around year 10-12 and turned the game off in year 17. In that time everything worked fine with a lot of flowers everywhere.

1. All saves after the change crashed, as I tried to load them this morning!
2. A save before the change works!

I started a new game to try to recapitulate what happened.

1. I loaded only 2 mods: NatDiv above GWU. No fodder is prodcued by the fodder farmer, only thatch is harvested, even if I clear the area manually, there's no fodder, picture 1.

2. I changed the loadorder between those two, GWO above NatDiv. I had a crash immediately. I found that weird. It worked in the Rolesburn game with a lot of more mods, so I went back to the save before the crash and tried again. This time; no crash!  ??? And as I said, there's no thatch at all on the map, only a lot of fodder grass and flowers. When I turned Banished off and loaded the save from after the change, it worked! picture 2

3. Now I wanted to test the other mods, I had loaded in that game. I chose to put them in the same load order as I had in the Rolesburn game. As I tried to load them to the game, of cause; crash! But I thought, since it worked the second time just before, I'll give it another try. So I disabled all mods by start, and tried to load the save I made, before I added these extra mods. Crash! That save just worked a while ago! ???

4. Again i started Banished with disabled mods, I turned GWU and NatDiv on and exited Banished. Started it again and loaded the same save that just crashed. This time it worked. I turned the whole mod package on. It worked! ??? I made a save. Quit the game without leaving and loaded the game. It worked. I left Banished, started it again and loaded this save. It worked!

5. Since it's the same mods in the same order as my Rolesburn game, I decided to give it a try. I loaded Rolesburn (without exiting or quitting the other game) and surprise, surprise! It works! Picture 3, loadorder mods.

I haven't dared to turn it off. I want to go on with the game later tonight and even if I think, I know, how I can get it running again; no risks! ;)

And @Paeng, for once @brads3 and I agree: This game has a soul, a will of its own, that often, does exactly the opposite of what we want! ;)

brads3

LMAO,i should have known. 1st question to ask any NEW player is what mods do you have and what order. i actually thought the fodder-thatch problem was fixed by RED's update and the NAT DIV update.  if you swap the mod order mid game ,you will cause a crash.don't do that. you should probably try playing with the vanilla game for a month before adding mods. that way you learn the game and how the banies function.lol
        since you jumped in the deep end without learing to swin, how up to date are the pine mods?? do you have the latest storage,cliffs,etc?? i would recommend adding the mini mod in case you decide you want nomads faster in game. generally i try to avoid adding mods after i start a map.
    after you reload the mods and are sure you have the newest versions,restart a new map. the 1st year after you clear land and do the initial buildings and houses,take a pic of the inventory please. i am curious as to how much the workers collect just from the ground itself.
   if you find the game too hard,they do make puzzles for children and coloring books.

Nilla

You're not very nice today @brads3>:( ;D Didn't you sleep well?

And yes, I know well enough how to swim, even in deep water, living next to a lake (and after some 1000 hours of playing banished the past 3 years or so,) And since I'm Swedish, I don't fear cold water, so  I use to load mods/change mod versions into existing games. (most time it even works without problem.) I have however seldom changed load order, like in this game. (To be sure I always make a save before I do such things, if it doesn't work it usually crash at once and no harm's done) Mostly it's also quite good to understand, why something work or not, but not always, like this time. I don't know how it happened, but I downloaded the version of the NatDiv on 11 June, but it seemed to be old. I think it's fixed in the latest upgrade: NatDiv and Garden Wall Utility do work together. But I will leave the game as it is for now anyhow. It's fun with all those flowers. :)

I just made a couple of screenshots from my game, the ones I wanted to make this morning, as the game didn't "want to play". Maybe all the beautiful flowers will raise your spirits, @brads3! ;)

First picture
This is a new version of a "statarlänga". (a traditional wooden rawhose for farm workers). My version is much nicer, than the original!

You can see, that I've accepted a lot of nomads, the education rate is only 34 %. No need for tents there, the first thing they have to do is to build a house of their own! :)

Second picture

Pine forest and right of it; untouched, wild land! :)

brads3

lol,you sure will have a very smelly town with all the perfumes you need to make.

Paeng

Quote from: brads3 on June 13, 2017, 08:10:47 AMif you swap the mod order mid game, you will cause a crash. don't do that.

Evidence? I do that all the time...  :)

Quoteyou should probably try playing with the vanilla game for a month before adding mods. that way you learn the game and how the banies function.

???  Who on earth are you talking to? Not Nilla, I presume... is it full moon?

This was a lousy day...  >:(

brads3

lol PAENG,i was harrassing her. it was a joke. she did say she was playing like a newbie.lol

RedKetchup

take care guys ^^ there is something in the air lately... dont let other people misunderstanding you. sometimes lately even jokes or funny statement dont pass at all :(
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Paeng

Quote from: RedKetchup on June 13, 2017, 03:02:09 PMsometimes lately even jokes or funny statement dont pass at all :(

Yeah, all a matter of timing... my nerves are a bit frayed tonite...  :(

Sorry Brad.

Nilla

Please! Don't take everything seriously. That other thread, sounds serious enough. People got hurt, and we don't know, what's behind in PMs. This is something completely different: Maybe you haven't followed the wrangling between @brads3 and me, that goes way back. I don't get hurt, being called a newbee! I've called him other things; politician is the worse I can remember! ;)

Let us have our fun and take it for what it is; more or less successfull attempts on making jokes.

brads3

is that why my ears ring in my sleep? i probably don't want to know what she calls me. ???

Nilla

I haven't reported from Rolesburn lately. I've been playing a little but not very much new has happend, except what I showed in @RedKetchup´s "work in progress".

Two things has happened: I have finished the canal to the big lake in the south and I have finished taking nomads (at least for now). There are finally graduates enough for a slow but steady growth. The education level rises very slow but it goes in the right direction. There are no real problems. As usual I produce more export goods than I need. I built the canal port more because it looks nice and I can store these goods I don't need and get them out of the way. I micromanage the living places a bit to get a lot of children. About once every year, I look into the houses and let some families swap.

I'll show some pictures.

First picture

This is from year 20; as you can see to this time, I still took nomads. They just arrived, and the first thing they have  to do, is to build houses; small settlements like this Green Village. Growing families live in the big houses surrounded by young, older and child rich families in the small houses.

Second picture

Again I had a bug. I've said it before; if you have it once, it has an affinity to return. This time luckily it wasn't the "freezbug" it was the "storebug". I guess it's the same bug but instead of thinking, that there's only one place on the map to get warm, they think that there's just this one store on the whole map. So people come from near and far with all kind of food and all vendors, also from far away gets here, to get what they need. They are even so eager, that they walk on the bottom of the river!  :D

Third picture

Red village. Here it's more typical "startarlängor" than in that other post; tight and crowded. You can see that the educational level has started to rise. :)

Fourth picture

I've finished the canal. I think I saved that gate out in the lake well enough to let it stay. I can confess, that it looks better in the other end of the canal but this will do. I've played a little bit with the riffle. OK I`m no @Paeng, but the riffles are very nice and I think I've managed to create a small impression of a turning wheel from the mill and running water along the jetty parts. I haven't dared to try the height difference parts yet, it looks a bit trickier.

I had planned to build fields in the area south of the canal but I like these flower meadows, so I'll leave it untouched. I only built a couple of small houses for the fisher.

Fifth picture

I just realized, that I'm so fond of all flowers, that I haven't shown any winter pictures. Here's one from the other end of the canal. Year 25, 600 inhabitants 44 % educated.