News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Meadowbrook - Story 15

Started by Abandoned, July 07, 2017, 02:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kid1293

Nice story to have with me this evening. :)

Abandoned

Good night @kid1293  :) and have a good morning tomorrow.

and thank you, glad you like the story

Abandoned

Chapter 3

By year 4, our pasture was a busy place.  Dora was either a very good herdswoman or the sheep really liked this meadowland, we had twice as many sheep in our 14' x 12' pasture plus bonemeal.  The tailor was never short of wool and we had plenty of mutton.

I had been doing the threshing and often wondered if it would not be more productive to plant a field of corn with 1 farmer working than having 1 worker reaping the grasses and another worker threshing.  Even though the amount of wild cereal increased using all the grasses, I still thought I could  harvest more grain from a field than what I could thresh.  A 10" x 12" crop field was cleared but since our 2nd child was due in late spring, Ibraham said the corn planting could wait another year.

Lelano built a small boat and bridge across the brook so he could plant and gather his own reeds for the thatcher's workplace.  The new storage barn did not require thatch, the builder used shredded tree bark.  A few houses could be built that way also, and I especially liked the house with the wood shingle roof.  In Spring, 4 nomads arrived so we needed more housing.

The meadow on that side of the river was just beautiful this year and I thought the rocks in the brook and river were beautiful too now that I wasn't on a raft going over them rapidly.  The rocks and the shade of the bridges seemed to attract fish so a fish trap was constructed across the small brook.  A new family had arrived so we now had a few more workers.  Next spring we could have a farmer plant corn while I continued to thresh so we could do a comparison.  The amount of wild cereal I thrashed this year had increased substantially but I still thought a corn field would do better.  Next year, we shall see.

brads3

if you can't get 500 cereals than the field will beat it with no problem.on a 10x10, 500 is minimum produced.

Abandoned

Chapter 4

In spring of year 5 the cornfield was planted.  I had a short wait for more grasses to thresh.  As soon as I got the grasses Ethanial would take my place as thresher and I would tend the cornfield.  Ethanial's wife, Anti, would take over his fishing spot on shore.  My Ibraham was now trader at the newly built trading post.  A new school was also built since the old outdoor classroom was filled to capacity.  The workshop was reopened to make iron tools after 2 nomads arrived and became laborers.  The tools would be added to our growing assortment of trade goods.

It was not until autumn that the first trader arrived at our port.  Veliah, the seed merchant, had no trouble navigating the rapids.  He knew they were there and what to expect and had done it many times before, he was a skilled boatman.  We traded for sunflower seeds and began clearing a field next to the cabbage patch.  Shortly after he left, it began to snow.  I tried but failed to get all the corn harvested but still I was proven correct.  I alone harvested more corn in 1 season than a reaper and thresher produced wild cereal in 2 seasons.  It would have been worth it to have grain had the Smallvillians not brought corn seeds with them.  Since the children especially liked the wild cereal, we decided we would continue the threshing operation unless our food supply became critical, then the reaper and thresher would become farmers.

If need be we could always extend our catch of fish by building a smoking shed.  Anti did not catch as many fish as her husband had the year before but her catch was considerably more than Adric was catching in the fish trap.  Had he been educated his catch may have been more.  Then again maybe they had been under the weather.  Despite our varied diet some folk were not at peak health, perhaps the new herbalist will help people feel better.  After 5 years our population was 43, 21 adults, 9 students, and 13 young children. That winter a second daughter, Bloosie was Born.

brads3

how is you lag time now? about here is when my bannies went to stotter stepping and skipping.

Abandoned

@brads3 the lag time was a little better I think after having cut more trees but still slow going. More buildings did not seem to make any difference.  I increased the speed to 2x so bannies moved a bit faster than they should have been at 1x.  I am a ways ahead playing the map than writing story, only a few more chapters to go, then, I want to remove some mods and restart map to see if there is a difference.  Maybe it is a conflict. It is such a pretty mod with the meadow and the reeds.

Abandoned

Chapter 5

We seemed to have a lot of rain that spring of year 6 but the cabbage, corn, and sunflowers got planted on time.  It took a while with only 1 builder but the new small barn was finally completed.  Early summer brought more rain so work slowed again.  The log house for the 4 nomads that arrived was not getting done.  I felt sorry for Ibraham out so long in the pouring rain, he was now working the cornfield.  The log house when finished was very nice indeed.

All the rain brought out the best in our meadows, they were just beautiful and had an abundance of wild foods, including blueberries and herbs.  We built a gatherer's workstation in both meadows.  Another house was being constructed over on the other side of the river also.

During year 7 life continued on at a slow and leisurely pace.  A pretty little chapel was built by the river. Another nomad couple joined our town and another house was built.  Our only concern during this time was a shortage of iron for the blacksmith.  We found a small pocket of stone and iron in the western forest not far from the creek.  We built a small garden shed so a forester could cut trees and gather the resources we needed.  There would be enough iron to delay the mining decision for at least another year.

brads3

it is weird that you have problems with CC yet yu run the nat div. i can run CC with no problem but the new nat div slowed me a ton.and i normally run at 10X. i should try a couple more things to see if i can make it better.

Abandoned

@brads3 try changing map size.  I use small maps and speed 1x, here I increased to 2x.  I agree weird.  With cc the problem was when changing camera location and with freezing up.  When I get a chance I will start a general discussion thread on my cc problem.

Abandoned

Chapter 6

Year 8 was off to a good start.  Last year's catch of fish had increased since Ethanial returned to his favorite fishing spot on shore, this year's catch promised to be the same.  In spring 7 nomads arrived so we gained another builder and a tiny chopper for firewood across the river where another house was being built.  The construction was put on hold when a medical emergency broke out, diphtheria.  A small sauna was hastily built and Vannis became a physician to care for those afflicted.  It was early autumn before the 4 patients were cured and returned to work.  Dariel, the farmer, did not get all the sunflowers harvested but they sure looked pretty when the first snow fell.  By early winter the Meadowbrook residents were 100% happy and healthy. 

Although Zander's, the gatherer in the forest to the east, had not been ill, his total of collected wild foods was again much less than the meadow gatherers.  Zanders collected 396 foods this year and only  288 last year compared to the meadow gatherers south of town and across the river.  They took in 766 + 833 this year and 990 +992 last year, a higher yields of food than our corn field.

That winter, we were amazed at the different types of foods and trade animals that Linwoodrow, the General goods Merchant, had with him or said he could bring.  He said there was a town to the west called Cedar Creek (CC for short) on his trade route that produced a number of different things.  He said it was a much bigger town than ours.

Well, we may be a small town with only a population of 71, 33 adults, 15 students, and 23 young children, but by summer of year 9 we are doing alright in Meadowbrook.

And yes, weary traveler, I did build you a "home in the meadow"  "where the grass grows wild, where the winds blow free."

The End.