News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Bloomington - Story 16

Started by Abandoned, July 17, 2017, 12:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Intro

This is the 16th story in the Smallville series and tells the tale of the 12th expedition to leave that town, the year is approximately year 38 SVT.  This is the latest group to leave Smallville to help alleviate the food shortage that occurred due to the river changing its course.  The expedition consisted of 3 families who headed south along what was once Smallville's main river, they were joined by 3 families who were heading north.  Together they headed east until they came to a river and valley where they decided to settle.

The map is #600215802  Valley, Small, Mild, Disasters Off, Easy Start

Since I am using 2 rather complex mods that I have not used before, I also choose more tweak type mods than I normally would use.  I don't think I could do justice to Red Ketchup's 2 great new mods, NMT Canal or Garden Walls Utility, if I was struggling to produce food and resources.  The mods, in load order,  I am using on this map are:

Starting & Map Changing Mods: Call of Nature Soundtrack, Banished UI Mod & Maps, Labor Window, RK Minimized Status, Rk Vanilla TP,  Reeds Standalone, Wild Bees.

Tweak Mods:  Bigger Wheelbarrows, Busy Laborers, Busy Pastures, Fishing Dock +25%, Gridlines Beta, Hunting Season, Longer Living Orchard, More Stone, Iron, Wood, 1:1 Aging, Rocks Respawn, Tool Valu Up.

Major & Must Have Mods:  An Empty Square, Smallville (welcome sign), EB Small Village, Kid Alotofseeds Trader, Kid-Tiny, Mini Buildings, 107 NMT3 Series Canal Set (Radeon), Clay Chain, Crops, Little Housing, RK Stone Walls

Supporting Mods:  Brads Smoking Shed, Deco Sunflower, DS Crest Blacksmith, EB Herbalist, EB Natural Irrigation Deco, Fenceless Pasture, Garden Walls & Utility, Old Hunter, Blacksmith, & Tailor, Specialized Stockpiles, Storage Crates, Vegan Scarecrow.

And so Mr. @RedKetchup, I understand you and your group of weary travelers are here from Riverboat Junction to inspect our canal.  I hope you will be pleased with it, but first, let me tell you how our town of Bloomington got its start.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Abandoned on July 17, 2017, 12:21:09 PM
And so Mr. @RedKetchup, I understand you and your group of weary travelers are here from Riverboat Junction to inspect our canal.  I hope you will be pleased with it, but first, let me tell you how our town of Bloomington got its start.

;D  ;D  ;D
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Abandoned

Chapter 1

It had been 5 years since a landslide upstream caused Smallville's main river to become little more than a stream.  Without riverboat food shipments from Pumpkin Hollow, Smallville was still struggling to feed its growing population. Canoes loaded with food had begun to arrive from Lakeland shortly before we left, but it was not nearly enough.  We volunteered to be part of the population control system that had been established. 

My husband, Kayde, and I, Renna, and our infant son, Kendan, were joined by 2 other couples and their 3 children and headed south along the main stream.  We were camped by the fork when we were joined by 3 couples migrating from the south.  There was no point in their going north to Smallville or for us to go south, so we all went east together.  They had 8 young children.  We now numbered 24, 12 adults and 12 young children, making traveling extremely difficult.  When the going got rough we tied the toddlers together with rope so we would not lose any of them to the faster moving waters of the new river feeding into the stream.  We were all relieved when we emerged from the gully with steep hills on either side.   We were greeted by a sunny sunflower and a view of a river valley beyond.  We posted a sign showing the way back to Smallville then continued on to the valley ahead.

Our first concerns were of course housing and food, we had 12 young children to feed.  The fishing pier was barely built before Kayde was out there fishing.  I helped gather supplies and wild foods and herbs.  It wasn't long before the mountain sheep we found were herded up and put to pasture, a hunting lodge and workshop built, and an outdoor classroom completed just in time for the first student.  A wood chopper, workshop, and mini town hall were next on the list and a crop field was cleared for next spring's planting.  Kayde told me the reeds growing along the river could be gathered and used for firewood if we ran short over the winter.  I had been chopping wood but stopped to help gather more wild foods, we were busy laborers.  I collected some seeds from the pretty flowers that were blooming around town.  I also discovered several hives of wild bees.  I told Kayde we would have honey next year, honey.

kid1293

Quote from: Abandoned on July 18, 2017, 09:23:36 AM
...and an outdoor classroom completed just in time for the first student.

Then you know it is going to be good :)

Abandoned

:)

Chapter 2

By early spring of year 2, our daughter, Corro, was born and Darnet and Lemmie also had a new baby girl, Alle.  Mayne and Rozelle's triplets would be turning 6 soon with several other children soon to follow.  There was only enough room for 5 students in the outdoor classroom.  We began building a village school by the newly planted cornfield.  Lemmie, the teacher, said it will be nice not having to go into the barn or cancel school every time it rained. 

Florie, who was tending the forest clearing to the west of town, didn't mind the spring rain.  She said it was really making the grass grow. We all loved the workplace that was built for her in the clearing.  She was collecting small rocks and logs.  Our supply of firewood was low and we were glad we had the river reeds to gather.  We built a small cemetery north of town by the river.

In early summer, 2 nomads arrived and moved into the hunter's lodge residence.  Darren would take over as forester and Anay said, even though she was uneducated, she could teach the children the basics in the new school.

It turned cold and snowed early that year but all the corn was harvested.  Everyone looked forward to the completion of the tailor workshop and a wool coat.  Clevelandy had certainly been busy in the pasture sheering the sheep, we had plenty of wool in storage.  And I see Mr. @RedKetchup you are actually wearing one of our fine wool  coats, yes I imagine it is quite a bit cooler here than down Riverboat Junction way.  That good old tailor shop was completed by spring of year 3.

grammycat

I really like your story-telling and the pics.  You've inspired me to try my game with a view toward what that town will be and limiting my mods to only what is needed for that city.  It's a new way of playing for me-very enjoyable; so thank you for sharing and for your inspiration.

Abandoned

@grammycat , that is so very nice to hear, thank you so much.  I am glad you enjoy my stories.  :)  I think my way of playing and storytelling gives me a goal other than just trying the new mods.  I always played more RPG and strategy type games with objectives or scenarios to work towards.  My mod choosing makes it something of a strategy game for me and it's becoming a challenge to find the right spot on the main map.  I have more stories in mind, another challenge, which to do next.  :-\

Abandoned

Chapter 3

In Spring of year 3, 2 more nomads arrived.  Keshauncy and Larabel moved into the residence that was built above the tailor shop.  Our population rose to 32, 16 adults, 6 students, and 10 young children.

Derren, our new forester, said he was glad to see the fodder in the field growing so well that year.  In early spring, he saw some deer grazing and with them were 2 horses, 1 appeared to be either sick or old and the other had a bad leg.  They both looked very thin.  He was collecting fodder in a wagon to feed them next winter, should they return.  We thought it best to build another storage barn since our main one was near capacity, he could keep some of the fodder in there too.

We had an unexpected visitor that summer, a river boatman pulled up along shore not far from the fodder farm.  He was as surprised to see us here as we were to see him.  He came down from Pumpkin Hollow, Lakeland, and Newport.  This was a new branch of the river and a bad stretch of water.  First there was that narrow gully to navigate, then the mountain stream that feeds in from the west causes a bad undertow that slows the boat down considerably and makes it very difficult to row.  When you finally make it to the north bend you have to watch for falling rocks from both sides and in the water.  Once you clear that obstacle you hit the speedway, it's all down hill and you have little control until you reach the small stream that forks off to the east. It was once part of the main river.  The downhill speed does not make up for the slow uphill crawl and dangers.  It would certainly be too dangerous to build a trading post anywhere along this stretch of river.  What was needed was a canal from one side to the other where the river use to be, just north of the lake.

Not only would that plan greatly shorten the boatmen's return trip to Riverboat Junction but would make us a major trading port on the route.  And as you know, Mr. @RedKetcup, Riverboat Junction always needs trade goods.  In fact that river boatman said there'd even be a market for some of those beautiful wildflowers he saw when he landed. We certainly had a lot to think about before that year came to an end.

RedKetchup

lol you really need a canal being digged through ^^ poor merchants :P

Abandoned

Chapter 4

Our many thoughts on building a canal were boiled down to 2; what the heck did we know about building a canal and how could we build one when we only had 1 builder?  Thadd the builder said he was a little busy at the moment. He was working on the village boarding house while laborers gathered building supplies for the stable for those 2 wild horses.

Well, for one thing the 2 horses were not wild horses, they once had owners who cared for them.  My guess was these 2 were displaced by flood waters and were abandoned like many others who were now being cared for at the Animal Refuge.  The white mare was indeed much older than the other, perhaps its mother.  The younger one had been injured and had many healed scars and one badly crippled leg, a rock slide could have caused such injures. They were both malnourished, the winters must have been extremely difficult for these 2.

Who better to care for these creatures than me. I was relieved of my laborer duties since I had another infant daughter, and I had a way with animals.  I spent many hours sitting in the fodder field with the children so the horses would get use to us.  It wasn't long before I was able to lead them to the newly constructed stable.  I took them back often to the field to graze and exercise.  Kayde came often to check on me and the children and even brought us fruits and veggies to snack on.  Sitting there together by the river in that field where the grass grows wild and the sun was gently shining, with the bees buzzing and the deer grazing, why, it was almost heaven.  And when autumn came we were surrounded in a golden glow.  This was without a doubt the most beautiful spot in all the world of Banished.

7/20/17  Story Discontinued - Request for Seedling Greenhouse for Smallville Denied - End of Story

RedKetchup

Quote from: Abandoned on July 20, 2017, 10:14:33 AM

7/20/17  Story Discontinued - Request for Seedling Greenhouse for Smallville Denied - End of Story

lollllz, she is really angry ^^

brads3

not good, i would be surprised by that. i figure to hold some requests til RED gets the NMT done. that is a huge time taking mod to do.i do think there is a individual mod of the old greenhouse that can be used with the new mods.maybe the weather got to her. here it has been humid and 90's.

Abandoned

Year 8  Bloomington's Canal Completed

TheOtherMicheal

You know, it's been quite a good, lighthearted read up until this part: -
Quote from: Abandoned on July 20, 2017, 10:14:33 AM

I don't know specificially how you meant it and I figure you did not actually mean it to sound so curt & harsh but in plain text it reads like something written by a spiteful child who was denied some candy, just sayin'

Abandoned

Year 8 River Boatman