News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Embx61 Work in progress

Started by embx61, May 02, 2017, 06:17:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

embx61

The footprints are a game mechanic to put some constraints on the available space on the map.

So tiny footprints are a cheat because you can build many more on a map then with the regular buildings.

The vanilla woodcutter is 6x7 = 42 tiles. The developer made a little error as to assign only 1 woodcutter to it what should have been 3 and I added two to the woodcutter.

A tiny woodcutter on a 1x1 tile with one worker = 42/3 = 14 tiles converted into 1 That is over 1400% space increase compared with the vanilla woodcutter with 1 worker assigned.
One who play with the 1x1 tile woodcutter can place 14 of them in the same space the vanilla woodcutter need with 1 worker and so increase the output in the same space as a Vanilla woodcutter by 1400%.

I understand what I am saying will not received to well by some but as I said. I am not the right modder to make small stuff as I believe it brings the game mechanics down as envisioned by the developer. If Luke would have thought it was a good idea to make 1x1 choppers he would have developed those tiny choppers from the start.

Banished is all about surviving and planning ahead on how to expand the best way with the space available. The footprints are an important gameplay factor in that process as 1x1 footprints can be placed about everywhere without any planning ahead at all and can increase production over 1000% compared with vanilla size buildings on the same map.

[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

elemental

Everything you have said is true... for vanilla Banished. But many players aren't interested in the survival aspect of the original game, they just want to build towns. Some players like things to be true to life, some aim for the largest population possible, some just have old computers that can't handle large maps so they like smaller buildings. Mods change the game and we pick and choose which mods we use based on how we like to play the game. There are lots of different ways to play the game and in the end it's about having fun.  :) 

Now having said that, I'm not saying you should make smaller houses. If you want to keep the game balance of your mods similar to vanilla then that's fine, I think we can all respect that.  :)

Tom Sawyer

I subscribe to @elemental. Players have different ideas of playing the game, modders have different ideas of creating content and no one can decide how anyone else has to do that. We only can talk about it to find better solutions and matching mods. Some discussions on this board were ending in a dissent just because of fighting for a certain concept or another one. ;)

My idea is close to @embx61 and I don't like to remove required area in general. But in case of a small woodcutter I find it not cheaty. I have a 2x2 woodcutter and even a 1x1 smoking shed but playing with these items you can see they are not able to cheat something. A woodcutter requires logs and log production requires area. So you cannot spam small cutters to cheat firewood. Of course it should have at least a small placement on suitable terrain to avoid strange locations in deepwater or endless in each other but that's another thing. It's the same with all processing objects. They are not cheating in my opinion if they have reasonable production numbers and if their input resources are balanced.

RedKetchup

this is why i dont participate to the discussion :)
everybody knows my views :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

galensgranny

Quote from: embx61 on September 11, 2017, 07:24:39 PM
The footprints are a game mechanic to put some constraints on the available space on the map.  ...

... I am not the right modder to make small stuff as I believe it brings the game mechanics down as envisioned by the developer. If Luke would have thought it was a good idea to make 1x1 choppers he would have developed those tiny choppers from the start. ...

I don't think that the developer necessarily decided that the footprints of the buildings he made are intended to put constraints on the space of the maps so that things are more challenging for players as part of his vision of game play, but rather that is just what it winds up being.  He probably just made buildings he thought of to have some buildings, and didn't think of or want to keep making more buildings at that time, just like some of the modders get tired of making more buildings in a set and feel to go on to other aspects of creating.  But, perhaps he did think like you, Embx61.

If he didn't want there to be any changes to any footprints of buildings, he wouldn't have made the modkit which allows people to made any size and style buildings they desire, such as the tiny woodchopper.

To me the tiny chopper, tiny hunter and fly fisher are sensible, realistic additions to the game and I don't consider them as cheats in any way. It makes no sense that when the people first are dropped onto the land for their banishment, that they would spend time and resources making whole structures for hunting, fishing and wood chopping first, getting cold and hungry the whole time, to then only after that start chopping for fire wood or hunting/fishing for their basic survival.  That is backwards for reality. Unless they all got banished because they have no sense?  :D

Anyway, it's good and fine for there to be a variety of ideas and vision for game play and creations. 

I'll say again that I really love your architectural style!

The Pilgrim

IIRC the tiny Hunter and woodchopper ect have a lower output per worker than their vanilla counterparts.

embx61

embx61

Uploaded all new versions of about all my mods (Beside the very old standalones) as I had to put the village sub toolbars in the Community EB Toolbars as I could not add another mod to the Village Themed button as it doubled the all icons.

Now all is ready for the Village Production Addon when it is ready for release and the 3x4 houses I just released.
If not download the newer versions of my mods make sure if you play with Village Set to put it above all my other mods or the toolbar buttons of the Village Set will be screwed up.

All newer versions of the mods I uploaded today are save compatible and no other changes are made beside the Village Set where I added some stuff. I had to do this to avoid load order conflicts if a old mod would be above the village set it would screw the icons up.

Damn, that was lot of work uploading them all to google drive and change all the links here at WoB. Glad it is done though. 

galensgranny

Oh my gosh!  Yippee!  Thank you so much, embx61!  I got big burst of happy feeling when I saw this.  ;D :D ;D   This smaller sized house is good addition to the game.

Gatherer

There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

elemental

It looks like a lot of work, maintaining your mod toolbar. I'm looking forward to the new production buildings. Haven't been playing for the last month or so, but that might get me back into it.  :) I still owe you some market signs, too.

embx61

In itself it is not hard to do copy the Sprites and the spritesheet and stringtable from the dialog folder and past them in all the Dialogs folders of all my mods (About 21 of them I still support)
Then copy the EBToolbar.rsc file from the game folder and paste to the game folder of all the mods.

Then recompile all of them and zip them up and upload them.
At last update all the mods links on WoB and update the modlist thread.

That took most of the time.

But now it should not matter which mod is above the other if players have the latest versions and play with Village set.
If a mod is not updated with the toolbar changes and above all the ones which are then the Icons are small under the Village Themed button.

Unified mod is not updated because it make no use of the Village Themed icon.

Now I can extend the village set with separate mods which still making use of the Buttons under the Village themed set.
The 3x4 houses is a good example of this.

feneris

Question, could you maybe make a variation of your village set with say a stone or shingle roof instead of thatch? It just seems like a disaster waiting to happen to have a thatch roof on a blacksmith or a smelter.

embx61

This thread is rather old so not add to this thread anymore.

I started a new work in progress thread here.

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=2453.0