News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Starting Geological Conditions:

Started by staustelladam, September 26, 2016, 10:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

staustelladam

I'm sure it has been asked in the past, the distant past, but has anyone ever created a mod that approximates to a map editor, or at least that allows for some determiniation of geological starting conditions?

Alternatively, is there a way to "decipher" the seed numbers at start of a game that will allow to get a map close to what you want: lots/few lakes/mountains/rivers, straight/meandering main river, high/med/low density trees/stones/iron/wildlife/wild foods?

I read on this forum (or perhaps another) where people listed some of their "favourite" seed combinations, but that still doesn't help work out how the map is randomly generated from the seed numbers.

Cheers,
A.

brads3

not that i or anyone has found. add to that the upgrade i hear changed some of the original seeds as well. so if u do find 1 u like ,it may or may not b  the same now.i did try to find any reasoning to the generator with no luck at all. it is completely random. ther are mods that give various different starts. more lakes,mountains,larger/ smaller maps,temporrate-harsh-more desert cliamtes,etc.and usaully u start in the center of the map. best way i found is to generate various maps n keep a notepad handy. when u find a map u like write the code down. i usually use CC lakes map,gives a big river with multiple lakes here n there.not as mountainous so u do have flat space to build a town.

Tom Sawyer

There is nothing to decode. The seed is only a number to start a random algorithm. With the same starting number and the same algorithm you get the same map. You can use seed=0 and will get a result. If you change the algorithm (with a mod that changes any values in the map generator or a natural resource) you get another result from the same seed.

The banished map generator is very simple and limited. Not many options and no manual map editor. Nevertheless we can make maps with more or less mountains, lakes, streams, forests and other natural resources. Geological things not really. We can not make a coal layer or something like that. Do you have any special ideas for interesting maps and landscapes?

brads3

yep TOM,we do. a supre large map of the world broken into small sections where we can choose where we want to start.kinda like simcity4 has.choose if we want to start in  the rookies,on a island off japan, the alps,the tundra of russia,the hills of scotland,etc. lol yeah we dreaming overhere i know.

Pangaea

Would love more starting conditions as well, so we could get maps that we prefer quicker. But short of that, I'd love a regeneration map button, like in Civilization 4, so we don't have to go back to the main menu all the time. The process is quite cumbersome, especially if you are looking for something particular.

We ought to keep in mind this is an indie game developed by one person, however, and as far as indie games go, this is a mighty fine one - even with shortcomings in the map generation area.

Storyteller

there are some mods that let you select from a variety of height variance and amount of water on the map.