News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Crop field placement and infestations

Started by salamander, May 15, 2014, 02:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

salamander

I trying to do a better job in my current game of getting good farming layouts with as little wasted space as possible, but I'm not quite clear on what constitutes adjacent crop fields (beyond the obvious  ;)).

First, if I have a square arrangement of 4 fields (say, four 10x10 fields in a 20x20 area), are fields in opposite corners considered adjacent?  Second, does the spacing between houses (2 tiles, I think) that helps prevent the spread of fire also apply to infestation spread between fields?

I'm hoping maybe someone has looked at this or has some impressions about it.  Thanks.

slink

If you'll accept a little exploitation, you can delete the infested crop filed and build another one in the same spot.  The workers who build the new field will harvest what is left of the infested crop, and the infestation does not spread.  The only time this blows up in your face is if the land was flattened by roads built around the field after the field was originally built.  In that case, the plot may be too hilly to build a new field.

salamander

I think I've seen that mentioned somewhere, and I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I've never tried it.  I was not aware of the problem with the roads, though.  I'll keep it in mind.

What I've been doing so far is to immediately harvest and replant the next year with a different crop.  I'm guessing the deletion of the field stops the infestation immediately so you end up with a higher yield after everything's harvested?

slink

It freezes the yield where it was when the infestation started, and also prevents the infestation from spreading to nearby fields.

salamander

OK, I see what you mean.

I've been going with the idea that infestations are more likely to spread to nearby fields that have the same crop, and I do usually border my fields, or a group of fields, with roads (I kind of like the gridded farm country road look), so the exploit may not always work.  I also am trying to avoid buying a lot of different kinds of seeds, preferring to buy other resources instead, especially fairly early in the game where I don't really have much buying power in the trading posts.  Back to the original 4 fields arranged in a square, I can get by with 2 crop types if opposite corners are not considered adjacent, but would need 4 types if they are.

The problem I'm having is that infestations seem to be uncommon enough that I'm having trouble seeing a pattern in infestation spread.

slink

I have seen infestations spread, to fields with the same crop, that are not directly adjacent.  My feeling has been that outbreaks of infestations are random events that occur with greater frequency when my CPU is busier.  I know that sounds crazy, but I know for a certainty that Creatures had disease outbreaks when the CPU was bogging down.  It was programmed into the game as a method of population control, to keep the game playable.  I don't know the exact code, but I got that information directly from the programmers.  I also know that random number generators can get stuck when the CPU is overloaded.  Neverwinter Nights had this problem.  You could see it happening in the posted numbers for the Craftable Natural Resources mod.  So there is more than one reason why outbreaks of diseases or infestations can occur in a game in clumps, and for no apparent reason gamewise.

I don't suppose the above paragraph helped you, though.   ;D

salamander

Quote from: slink on May 16, 2014, 07:01:20 AM
I don't suppose the above paragraph helped you, though.   ;D

LOL!  On the contrary ... I'm still learning the game and working out what my own playing style actually is, trying out different things that folks have posted about -- every little bit of information helps.  As an amateur in programming (really, really, really on the novice end of the amateur range), I think things like what you've observed are interesting, especially the ideas about RNG's which I use a lot for the stuff I write for the classes I teach.

I have a large flat area of land I'm ready to start expanding into, and my plan is to make it mostly an agricultural area of the town.  Maybe I'll be able to get some additional information about infestations if I get enough field etc... built.

mariesalias

I have seen Orchard infestations spread between two same-type Orchards with a 15x4 (sized) different-type Orchard between them.

So if infestations can spread to another same-type orchard that is 4 spaces away, I would assume they would pass to adjacent orchards that are right next to them adjacent.

I may have seen an infestation spread 8 spaces before. I used to rotate three fruit types in 15x4 strips (i.e. Pear/Plum/Peach/Pear/Plum/Peach) but I changed this in my town that I am experimenting on farming stuff with to 4 types. I honestly do not remember if I changed this because I wanted to prevent infestations spreading or because I wanted to start making blocks of 7x10 orchards so needed four types. Hopefully, someone will be able to answer what the outer range of infestations spreading is.