News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Re: Nilla - Brockfisheck; a new medieval town - 6000 people on a medium map

Started by Nilla, June 01, 2015, 04:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

Good looking stuff, @Nilla! I love your towns. Good luck with no barns, though  ;)

Speaking of that, @RedKetchup, couldn't you whip up a NMT replacement for the tired, humble, old barn, that most useful of structures? It could use a facelift, or some alternative appearances, or something!

Nilla

Quote from: RedKetchup on June 03, 2015, 04:46:08 PM
oh with time she will learn how to use them :)

Maybe, maybe not. You know, I need some excitement, so I will go on with my experiments. Sorry if I mistreat your creations. That's the risk you have to take as a designer.  :-[ ;)

Quote from: Brugle on June 03, 2015, 02:20:47 PM
That seems to be how the game works.  Lots of people (my guess is anyone) can do laborer stuff.  I just saw a fisherman (who had been one for months) drop off some materials at a barn that was on the other side of the map from the wharf.  I don't know what causes people to be assigned laborer work, perhaps if the amount of laborer jobs is large enough or if something in it is old enough.

Yes, I'm sure you're right here. I'm quite certain, that it also depends on how many free laborers you have available. I thought, that in this game; with no barns, the vendors will do most of the transportation with their wheelbarrows, much more efficient than the normal laborers. But I suppose, I was wrong. Normally I try to have about 10% of the workforce as free laborers, (in big towns more). But that didn't seem to be enough in this settlement. As I increased the number of laborers, the productivity of the farms became "normal". I really don't understand the dynamics, but I will start to watch the vendors a bit more careful. Maybe I understand more tonight.

Now to last night's "efforts":

First picture

@irrelevant, a while ago we talked about paths through fields. You said that if many people cross a field, there might be a path where nothing grows. I have never seen that. People really like to cross the field, I show here, with and without wheelbarrows. As soon as the crop start to grow, they walk around the field and I haven't seen any damages on the crops, at least not yet. I will go on and keep an eye on it. Are you sure it's not one of these myths there are in Banished?  ???

By the way @RedKetchup, here you can see an unsuccessful experiment with your buildings. Advice: Don't build a NMT-house with an integrated root cellar!  ;)

Second picture

I said in that other thread that the boats don't care about the port I've built on the river (against the advice of the creator). But I don't think I made anything wrong with this canal and the "boat drivers don't give a damn" here neather; they pass through it, the shortest way to the stream.  ;)

Third picture

The settlement develops, nice and neat, soon 400 people.

Fourth picture

Maybe the road with markets and 3-store houses is a little bit out of place in that country area, surrounded by fields and pastures. But I like it anyhow. Right you can see the meat market I built instead of the canal end. There is also another mistreatment of the NMT-houses. This was a mistake, but I think it doesn't look sooo bad.

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on June 04, 2015, 04:11:28 AM
@irrelevant, a while ago we talked about paths through fields. You said that if many people cross a field, there might be a path where nothing grows. I have never seen that. People really like to cross the field, I show here, with and without wheelbarrows. As soon as the crop start to grow, they walk around the field and I haven't seen any damages on the crops, at least not yet. I will go on and keep an eye on it. Are you sure it's not one of these myths there are in Banished?  ???
@Nilla It isn't a myth, it was happening in my town. But it was a special case, I had farmland extending into a high-traffic area, and there were no roads around a large field. Everyone was going through it, and they didn't stop when it was fully planted. Your traffic there is going through the part where the crop is still not sprouted; I expect they will stop going through the field as the crop starts to grow. In my field, they did not. Also, my case was a year ago using v1.02; it's possible that this no longer happens with 1.04.

I do have a question about your group of five woodchoppers there in the third image with no stockpiles nearby; are they producing okay? Where are they getting their logs?

chillzz

hmmmm, sometimes, and just sometimes the farmers don't start soon enough with planting.
they work from one corner, to the opposite, row after row..

couldn't it be, that they just didn't have time to plant/seed that particular corner of the field within season?
if not planted within season, it will not grow at all, or very very slowly in the missed piece.

support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

Nilla

Quote from: irrelevant on June 04, 2015, 05:26:07 AM

I do have a question about your group of five woodchoppers there in the third image with no stockpiles nearby; are they producing okay? Where are they getting their logs?

The woodchoppers produce very well. I see that you are unfamiliar with the @RedKetchup NMT-markets. There is one hardware store (? not sure of the name). It's the ground floor of the first building after the NMT-port. It contains hundreds of logs (and stones and iron). In the row next to the left woodchoppers, there is a general store (name ?) where they can get rid of the firewood.

rkelly17

Quote from: Nilla on June 04, 2015, 04:11:28 AM
I said in that other thread that the boats don't care about the port I've built on the river (against the advice of the creator). But I don't think I made anything wrong with this canal and the "boat drivers don't give a damn" here neather; they pass through it, the shortest way to the stream.  ;)

Merchants in Banished are incredibly strong. I have seen them row right through TP docks, fishing docks, other merchant boats and stretches of mud blocking a lake from the river--all in a vanilla, unmodded game. Now that we have mods like @RedKetchup's canals we can see even more feats of strength. No wonder no one ever argues with their prices!  ;D

Nilla

Quote from: rkelly17 on June 04, 2015, 08:44:02 AM

Merchants in Banished are incredibly strong. I have seen them row right through TP docks, fishing docks, other merchant boats and stretches of mud blocking a lake from the river--all in a vanilla, unmodded game. Now that we have mods like @RedKetchup's canals we can see even more feats of strength. No wonder no one ever argues with their prices!  ;D

Yes, all that exercise, rowing river down, river up (they must do that some time, too, when we not look, I don't believe in some of the hilarious theories in that other thread  ;) )

Not to mention all the goods they row around! Admirable! No wonder that they get strong and that they also want to take the shortest way home!  ;D

RedKetchup

the Hardward Store : holds and sells Logs, Stone and Iron
the General Store : holds and sells Fiwewood, Coal, Tools, Textiles, Material
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

Do you like this trading port better @RedKetchup? I don't really need it, but it makes fun to try new things, so I built it anyhow.

What about the game?

I played a few more years yesterday. Nothing spectacular. It works as planned. As least almost. You can see that I've lost ½ hart. (The missing ½ star is "on purpose" I don't want any graveyards and without them, it's hard to keep the full stars). The reason for the missing ½ hart is bad distribution of beans. The beans stay in the farming area, so those who live at the big harbour don't get enough vegetables. As I said before; the vendors don't steal from each other and the beans that are brought to the closest fruit market, stays there until they are eaten!

What can i do to improve this? I have thought of a few possibilities:

-1. Fake demolish the fruit markets in the farming area and hope that the beans will be carried to the markets where they are needed. I will probably do this short term.

-2. Buy beans ( or some other vegetable) in the port area. I will probably do this, too maybe in combination with 3.

-3. Grow beans on every field for a couple of years (I have plenty of wheat, so there will be no short term shortage) and hope that some of them are brought into the root cellars where all vendors could get them.

-4 Change the structure of my settlement with farms closer to the port area. I think this is the long term solution of the problem. Forget old thoughts about building a settlement with a combination of farming and trade where the export industries are located by the river and farms in the more distant part of the map. The canal-TP also makes it possible to build trading ports more or less everywhere.

I like this game! I have to think new all the time!

RedKetchup

the problem you have is : you always try to build it near (or on) the river. why's that ?
this TP is made for getting TPs at 20-30-50-100 tiles away from the river :P

Nilla

Quote from: RedKetchup on June 05, 2015, 12:39:01 PM
the problem you have is : you always try to build it near (or on) the river. why's that ?
this TP is made for getting TPs at 20-30-50-100 tiles away from the river :P

You are hard to please, my friend, but I promise; I will build one (or maybe more) of these ports on a canal far away from the river!  ;) But I think they look nice close to the river as well.

And about the color of the canal water: Look at that picture of those ports in the "wrong place" along the river, in the last thread! You don't see much difference, if you don't look carefully. As long as you cannot use any "animation effects", I think it's as good as it can get.

I played a little again yesterday, not many years, but it seems to happen a lot in a short time in this settlement. I haven't played 5X for a while, too much to do. I even went down to "snail speed" as the last nomads arrived and I really didn't know where to build all the homes. But now I'm back to 2X. (As you might have noticed, if you have read my other blogs, I rarely stop the game and plan ahead, as many of you other people do.)

First picture

You can see the harts are full again. To solve the problem with the distribution of beans short term, I actually did something, that I didn't suggested myself in that other thread; Instead of fake demolishing the markets, I used the trading ports to relocate the beans. First I stored 3000 beans in each port in the "bean less" area. Than changed it 0 and the beans were in the fruit markets close to the river! Voila!  ;D

You can see on the picture that I also, more and more use my strategy 4. The fields are getting closer to the trading area.

Second picture

My latest part of the settlement. Here I used that strategy from the start. Maybe the fields are getting a little bit too close to the port area, but I can adjust it later and take away a few fields.

The population grows, it has passed 1000 inhabitants. But it seems, that I have a massive gender unbalance. I have 27 less homes than families. But what happens when I build new houses? Female students move in with educated young males (probably far away from the school). Not once "by accident". It happens all the time.  Probably they feel they are old enough to leave their nagging mothers. :-\

Seems to be some tec. problems to attach pictures. I will try again later.

RedKetchup

so in general, you like it ?
dont you think your town looks more realistic and better ?
more medieval ?

Nilla

Oh @RedKetchup, of cause I like it!

I don't know if it's more realistic or medieval. Probably not. It looks too nice and neat: The buildings from wealthy Middle European town merchants. And I am sure, there where a lot of poor people who didn't live in houses like that. In fact, to my knowledge most people lived in huts worse than the standard wooden house. But realism is not the point. This is a computer game, not an historical simulation.

It's also definitely historically incorrect to have 100 bakers producing 1000s of apple pies for sale. Not a realistic merchant good! Not a realistic medieval food for normal people, maybe for the really rich ones, who live in your castle (Maybe I should build one to justify the pies.   ;D ) I don't think firewood was a merchant good at the middleages eather, too spacial and cheap. People bought logs if they could afford it and cut it themselves (or let their servants do the hard job). Poor people collected sticks, cones and other no-value burnable materials in the woods.

Also the standard crops are not very medieval (at least not here in Northern Europe). My beans are actually historically correct, people ate dried beans (and peas) but that's about the only one. Wheat was a luxury crop, only for the rich, ray and barely were the common crops. From the other standard vegetables, as far as I know, only cabbage was grown in Europe to that time. Some other vegetables, that's good to store were also grown; turnips, kale, onions, carrots. But they didn't eat much fruit and vegetables at all.

I'm not an historian but I am interested in food and cooking. I used to collect cooking books (seldom use recipes, I just read them like novels). I have also read a bit about historical food, sorry for the "off topic" lecture.

I didn't play so much yesterday. But had time to take a big bunch of nomads. This seems to be a special tribe. These are the two first nomad families that's settled in hoses. The first 37 year old Lashonna with her 19 year old "boy toy" Elishaad; OK, I can maybe understand that, but what do the 37 year old Alonda want with the 12 year old Donovanni, that i can not understand.  :o :-\

RedKetchup

chillzz

actually pies was one of the ways to preserve food.. usually the meat pies and fruit/nut pies.
where one actually would only eat the filling/stuffing instead of the whole pie.
the dough was actually just a "container".

There's actually a lot you can find on the net, as well as libraries.  one of the first surviving apple pie recipes dates from early 1200's.

wheat and all the other grain / grasses where actually quite common way before common era in europe, depending on climate.

here in the lowlands it was mostly rye, wheat, spelt and the likes. nothing luxurious about it, quite the food for commons.
basic fruits like fig, apple, pear etc where quite common too, and part of the diet. Most veggies from the game however are not known to flat land / western europe medieval bannies though!

support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup