News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Forum Multi-challenge #4: Waterfront Property

Started by solarscreen, August 08, 2014, 06:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

Quote from: solarscreen on August 10, 2014, 06:02:34 AM
The end result when submitted is all that matters.

Oh, did I fail to mention that?  lol

you can build hundreds of houses/buildings in middle of the ground but ... delete them before the 'end result when sumitted that all matters' happends ^^

joking ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

solarscreen

Quote from: slink on August 10, 2014, 09:49:27 AM
Quote from: solarscreen on August 10, 2014, 06:02:34 AM

The end result when submitted is all that matters.

Oh, did I fail to mention that?  lol

It was this that fooled us.

Quote from: solarscreen on August 08, 2014, 06:11:08 PM

You pick your seed and settings. You may have to try a few until you get an initial start next to water!

It only helps to get close to the water rather than have to build a whole village inland and then bulldoze it later as you reach the water.

My first statement was to help get things as close to where you want to be as possible.

If you need to start a good seed with lots of water with an initial placement not quite on the water, go for it but move that village to the water as soon as you can.  Knocking down a well established village later can be a problem for your village.

Sound good?
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

canis39

"As close as possible" means that 5-6 squares away from the water is fine, as long as the space closer to the water is not "buildable".  Do I have that right?

solarscreen

Quote from: canis39 on August 10, 2014, 04:55:22 PM
"As close as possible" means that 5-6 squares away from the water is fine, as long as the space closer to the water is not "buildable".  Do I have that right?

Yes

Bracken

Delurking. Interesting challenge.

Nefer. City so far.

RedKetchup

nice @Bracken :)

i'm so happy to see new people on challenges :)

solarscreen

Quote from: Bracken on August 12, 2014, 11:32:52 AM
Delurking. Interesting challenge.

Nefer. City so far.

@Bracken Great placement!  Glad to see you join in on the competition!

mariesalias

I did start up a city last night for this (no promises on whether I'll have time to complete it, but I will try). I cheated slightly with the hospital and placed it several roads deep to avoid having it directly on the main road. Otherwise, one good outbreak could destroy the town! Lost about a dozen people before I built the hospital (thanks to traders) as everyone passes by everyone's houses and it would not die out.

So I layered roads several deep and built stockpiles around the hospital, we'll see how well it works.

I assume tunnels are okay not being only waterfront, as usually you can't build them too close to the water?

solarscreen

Quote from: mariesalias on August 12, 2014, 07:07:10 PM
I did start up a city last night for this (no promises on whether I'll have time to complete it, but I will try). I cheated slightly with the hospital and placed it several roads deep to avoid having it directly on the main road. Otherwise, one good outbreak could destroy the town! Lost about a dozen people before I built the hospital (thanks to traders) as everyone passes by everyone's houses and it would not die out.

So I layered roads several deep and built stockpiles around the hospital, we'll see how well it works.

I assume tunnels are okay not being only waterfront, as usually you can't build them too close to the water?

I hope you will continue to work on it!  Tunnels should try to follow the same rules as the paths but we will all see how it turns out.

Let me say that the rules for each competition are established to try to direct the efforts of each challenge towards a certain goal. I hope that each person understands the spirit of the guidance provided and does their best to play in the challenge honestly but also has fun even in the stress, frustration, and difficulties each challenge can present.  We can all learn from your efforts and your decisions as you play.

Winning is a rewarding result but not the only reward from playing.  If playing is not fun and just feels like work, please take a break and go enjoy your life where the true, long lasting rewards are.  Come back for the fun and the challenge!  We will be here!

slink

Here's another question, regarding large buildings built on a diagonal waterfront.  Given that a market is placed so that one corner is on the river, which, if any, of the colored areas is disallowed for other buildings?

mariesalias

Quote from: solarscreen on August 12, 2014, 07:59:40 PM
I hope you will continue to work on it!  Tunnels should try to follow the same rules as the paths but we will all see how it turns out.

Let me say that the rules for each competition are established to try to direct the efforts of each challenge towards a certain goal. I hope that each person understands the spirit of the guidance provided and does their best to play in the challenge honestly but also has fun even in the stress, frustration, and difficulties each challenge can present.  We can all learn from your efforts and your decisions as you play.

Winning is a rewarding result but not the only reward from playing.  If playing is not fun and just feels like work, please take a break and go enjoy your life where the true, long lasting rewards are.  Come back for the fun and the challenge!  We will be here!

School starts up next week so my time will not be so taken up with my son and nephew. Haven't even been able to stay up too late as with them both here, a nap is impossible. They are very close and argue and act like siblings, which makes me appreciate having my two boys 20 years apart. ;D

I will post up a screenshot and you can tell me if the Hospital placement is not allowed. :)

ETA: Second picture shows the tunnel in question.

RedKetchup

@slink : I think it s very good, it touch it in a corner, thats one of the biggest building in the game.

@mariesalias  : cant answer for that one, out of : i personallly find it too close of population, i would think i would get alot of disease infestation problems ^^ i tend to put them in middle of nowhere hehe. but i have a question. How do you get so much 'water reflections' in your minimaps ? the sky is fully reflecting on the water of your minimap, i dunno, me i never get that, a specific settings ?

mariesalias

@RedKetchup  Yes, I agree, it is still too close to the road for where I'd normally place a hospital but six roads deep was as far as I wanted to push it.  It is still close enough to where traffic passes (3 tiles) that there is still a high risk but it is far enough back that there is at least a chance it won't spread disease just from walking past.

That said, when I participated in the One Road challenge, hospitals had to be on the road so it certainly can be done this way. And if I need to put the hospitals directly on the roads for it to be legit in this challenge, I will. But I figure there is no harm in asking if there can be a little cushion between the main road and the hospital. ;D

ETA:  Oh, about the graphics setting, I have no idea what causes this. It doesn't even seem to reflect fully on every map. Maybe it is the position of the sun to my position/angle at the time I take the screenshots?  I'll try to remember to try different angles and directions to see if it changes.

irrelevant

I've noticed the reflections in the water change depending on what direction you are looking. The sun always seems to be in the northeast, so if you are looking in that direction over water at a low angle, the reflections are enhanced.

RedKetchup

my minimap is always direct in the corner.... i ll try to push it toward where you put it to see if i get some reflections.