News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Planning a little before starting

Started by Kaldir, May 31, 2014, 12:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slink

Print Screen doesn't seem to work with Banished, at least on my keyboard, and there is no Scroll Lock on it either.  The image from Print Screen goes instead to the clipboard.  I had to remap the two Banished screen capture keys to two of the function keys.

rkelly17

@ertira, some of us build mega metropolises based on trade and some of us build smaller, slower growing agricultural communities. Whatever turns your crank is fine with us.

Kaldir

Quote from: ertira on June 03, 2014, 05:48:12 PM
I almost always setup as a Gather/Hunter/Fishing society until around turn 45-50. I have only begun to branch out into farms, orchards and pastures in the last few seeds I have done. Also I minimize the usage of Traders to maybe 2 at max. So I have played maybe 22-24 seeds as strictly Gather/Fish/Hunter and the last 2 as the other fancier stuff.
[..]
Oh well.  It just seemed most of you have oodles more Pops than I do at the same year.

That's what I like about Banished. There is many different ways to build. Some go for big trading empires, while others like you and me only build a few. Some people expand fast and constantly, and others build more slowly. I build my town around visuals a lot, while others get way more people in the same area and time. Each to their own. As long as we have fun with it.

Quote from: ertira on June 03, 2014, 05:48:12 PMYou I have to admit setup some really awesome layouts.

Small update: I had a custom ordered shipment of stone in today, so I could build a lot of buildings at once. I built 6 wells, 3 bridges, 8 storage barns and a few stone houses within a few seasons (logs are a bit low now), and started builing 2 markets for expansion north and east and a second tailor and blacksmith. I've also laid a few stone roads, but not much yet as it costs too much stone yet.

The industrial area is almost done now, apart from the stone roads.

Kaldir

I will update this little town here. Posted a year 35 update there now.

gatinho65

Wow, that is some serious planning lol! Before I found the forums and watched a few videos, I figured out on my own the benefits of starting and pausing a few buildings, especially to get the resources ready, but man I have never had a screen with that many little pauses and windows;)

I've found that if I try to plan too much, I get paralyzed by attempts to maximize placement and then I never really get started. Too much control is a bad thing for me I think, I have to temper it with a bit more spontaneity and organic meandering.

irrelevant

I've just started to do more systematic expansion. After I have decided where I am going to build out, I will first locate the market using the circles of any nearby markets. Then I'll figure out where the roads will go.

Next come the farms. I've standardized on two sizes, 15x8 and 11x11, with one farmer each. Then locate the housing and the storage. I put everything on hold, then go back and delete the roads (otherwise they get built first, which is counterproductive).

Come construction time, I build a storage pile and 3-4 houses first, then the market, then 3-4 farms, then a barn or two. Then 3-4 more houses, then more farms and storage, etc, until that year's project is complete. I try to time things so at least some of the farms are finished just in time for planting.

In the first screenie, just released the first four houses.

The second screenie has a completed two-year expansion on the right, and on the left is a planned expansion to a trading post/firewood/ale complex.

Too bad it's snowing, hard to see  ;)

Added summertime shots of the same areas.

Kaldir

@gatinho65: You're not the only one with the paralysis trouble. Seems I'm one of the few that are immune ;D . I just love it that I can do my planning on the map instead of keeping it all in my head. Now if only some signs and textboxes were added.  8)

@irrelevant: Nice screenies. Market is always first for me too, wanting to know where it's influence will end. In the bigger towns (300+) when I have plenty of laborers, I often let a few builders build a connection road first, before anything else. That way all the laborers and builders get around faster when the real building starts. Farms are also a great way to gather some logs and stone first, since they cost nothing to build.

Btw: as someone else on this forum pointed out to me once: you can disable the weather effects, even if it's just for the screenshots.

irrelevant

@Kaldir Thanks, what I'm doing isn't pretty stuff like some of you guys are doing (which I really admire, but have no such creativity for). But it is functional, and I think efficient (my main goal is to have short walks to work for everyone. Oh, and to stockpile tons of food).

But mainly I think I am building like this (vast swathes of farmland) because that is the kind of terrain I grew up in. Feels homey :)

slink

I decided to take a break from my pinwheels and do a little decorative planning.  It isn't up the the same standard as some of the work I have seen, but it's a little better than my normal utilitarian geometrical layouts.  Here is Wolcomb at year five and at year nine.  I'm not sure where the overall colony planning is going from this point.

Edit: The map seed is 288799414, large valleys.  On medium difficulty, you get wheat, cabbage, and pears.  Combined with venison, and the gatherer's berries for the first few years, you have every food group that you need.

Bobbi

@slink, it looks like it will be pretty. Love your crop fields. I just cram mine in wherever they will fit sometimes.

rkelly17

Very nice, @slink. Which of the barns in the Winter photo is the original?

slink

Neither barn is the original.  The one farthest from the viewer is the one I built to replace the original, which was about halfway between the forester and the stockpile.

Kaldir

Looking good, @slink. The stockpile as a central 'plaza' for the industry stands out nicely. The cemetery looks good too there. And the farms will look great with crops. Nice amount of flat land you got there. :D

CathyM

Wow - I'm really impressed by how some of you lay out the towns! What a great idea, to erase the roads after laying it all down! I'm definitely gonna try that, because I can't plan w/o roads and I hate that they go through and build them first! And I've saved a couple images to inspire me!