News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

THE NORTH 6

Started by Tom Sawyer, December 09, 2017, 01:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

Thank you @NK. The wicked or wattle fence is a new deco item for the Viking update and working like my other fences. I just used it to arrange this screenshot. Shipbuilding I want to include in some way but not sure yet how exactly. When the Vikings will arrive I can't say yet. I have a plan what to do in what order but not when it will be finished. Depends on how much time I can spend on it. :)

Tom Sawyer

Nice inspiration from Finland. Maybe to build such a, how would it be called by banished people, Gate Barn?

darnokthemage

Yeah, gatebarn would work.

NK

@Tom Sawyer The more accurate term would be "gatehouse". Here's a pic of one that would fit in to the viking era. It's from Jomsborg-Wolin, Poland if you want to do further research. 

Tom Sawyer

Yes, that's a proper Viking gatehouse. The thing is that such fortifications are quite useless in Banished. This originally barn catches my interest because it can be fun to build as part of a homestead. If "gate barn" sounds strange it can be also just a "log barn" to make clear it matches the log cabins and then just has a nice passage. I have no feeling for special English terms.

brads3

darnokthemage, have you checked out the plymouth plantation sets by KID? thou more colonial than viking,the mod does have the fence and a blockhouse that acts as a TH. the rough weathered textures and thatch roofs might suit you. the training camp mod by RED has a fence part with hunters for the lookout towers.

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=317

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=178

darnokthemage

I would like doing something more like this.

Tom Sawyer

Ah, that's where we already have photos and the well in game. Thanks for this overview.

I made a first draft of the gate barn.. :)

darnokthemage

That looks so awsome! :D

Tom Sawyer

I'm trying to understand the legend of your picture. I know what's a stugan, a stall and a fähus. But google and me fail with bergkalasloftet and the härbrets. I would like to know how all these buildings were used. Please help!^^

darnokthemage

The bergkarlaloft means mountain-man-loft. The Bergcarls were ironworkers and traders from dalarna.
härbre is a food storage house, often on short stilts or similar to prevent rats from climbing in. It was also often used to sleep in on the summers.
The squared off tun (yard) is typical of old farms from northern sweden. It places both the animal, storage and housing wall to wall, or near to eachother. Example of a Härbre in Norway.

Also might want to look at this, you will probably not understand much, but it's about traditional buildings and building styles in Westrobothnia, or Västerbotten in Northern Sweden. (And where i come from  :D ) https://www.vbm.se/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/1984_3_4.pdf Would love if we got a Västerbottensgård, or parstuga. Here is a layout of it, And a picture of a typical one.

Tom Sawyer

Thanks for the info. So it's a kind of home for travelling workers? I found a picture of it and it looks very similar to the one I made with this lodge style. Wondering if it's actually also something to live and not only for storage. Maybe to use it in game as a boarding house for 2 or 3 small families. Could be useful.

darnokthemage

I would say maybe seperate it into two buildings? The bottom one being storage and the top being a boarding house?

Tom Sawyer

Wow that's huge. Actually I like it more small and pretty. :)

I found some info about our barns. It is described as traditional "loft storehouse" with summertime bedrooms upstairs and storage for clothes etc.. So as you wrote. Here is another nice one.

Tom Sawyer

@1 I added the Nordic Sauna to my separated mods: https://www.banishedventures.com/mods/ :)