News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

tomplum68 - Dunsett

Started by tomplum68, July 10, 2014, 03:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomplum68

I'm going to give one of these a go here in the town of Dunsett.

No rerolling the map seed, taking what we get (1)...and we get an interesting map(2).  Lots of flat land nearby but I am nowhere near the river (3-4) and the river doesn't connect to the lake.

I'm going to throw out some ideas of what I may do and then see how well I can follow through or at all.

I think I'm going to try and slide south with my initial homes by putting up a forest node at the cart and building the houses on the edge of the orange circle and then putting a market so as its radius just encompasses the houses.  Or maybe I'll put up a boarding house.  I'm not sure about that though, ton of resources that I'll need for the forest node.

At any rate this should allow me to move south closer to the river without overextending the walks (5-6).

We're going to clear out the forest node circle, then start building.  Hopefully it will be enough materials to get the essentials down.  I'll put a stockpile and barn in the middle of the node with the forester, hunter, and gatherer as I've found the barn/stockpile distance seems to affect production more than the distance to their house.  Or at least we'll see how it goes.  I just think getting south quick is important to our long term success since we can't farm or raise livestock until we get a tradeport.

Depending on how my population grows and how long it takes to get the trade port and how long it takes a trader to show up with anything useful, we may do a second forest node to increase firewood production before ever getting into agriculture.

I'm also thinking of doing a rough tracking of the family lineages but I'll deal with that in a later post.

I dont exactly have a goal in mind other than thriving and any suggestions or criticisms are welcome.

irrelevant

Tough start. Should be interesting. Be sure to try out trade port locations sooner rather than later. It would be not so much fun to head for a particular spot on the river, only to find there's no place nearby that a TP can be placed!

RedKetchup

yeah if you can survive the first years, it will be interessant :) seems good potential
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

tomplum68

Update 1 - Year 1 (most of it)

I have quite the collection of people with some interesting names.
The men are Gianning(12), Haywardell(13), Regg(12), Pleasar((0)sounds like a dinosaur), Authornton(0), and of course Demon(14), he's really a nice guy, no really...
The women are Nickie(12), Jadence(17), Anabell(13), Verenata(14), Merrica((0)pronounced just like ol GW would say it im sure), and of course Alfred((0)cause why not...

(1) I went ahead with the plan to create forest node where they start and planned out the first few buildings, a forester, a hunter's cabin, a gatherer's hut, and a stockpile.  Once the stockpile was constructed the clearing began leading into construction of the forester's hut.

It is here I realised (or maybe not) that I had made a fatal error in my clearing efforts.  I instructed all eight adults to clear the area of everything.  Once some light started shining onto the forest floor, I didnt see any of the foodstuffs the gatherer would soon be collecting and no one had put any of those things into the cart.  I thought laborers picked up onions, berries, and such but it didnt appear to be the case.

2) The forester's cabin was complete and two villagers were tasked with planting trees to begin to replenish the forest that was being cut down to fuel the settlement.  A barn was also added into the plans.

3) It's early summer and there are now a forester's cabin, stockpile, and hunter's cabin operational.  An offset intersection has been constructed in the middle of the node and extends to the south out of the forest node to where the four houses are planned to go, outside the forest and inside the future market radius.

4) In late summer the hunter (Demon of course, he swears that much blood is necessary) killed the first deer.

5) Now it is late autumn and none of the houses have been built yet, haven't even been cleared yet.  I'm seriously questioning my decision to put the houses so far from everything else.  I also think the cart being off in the forest by itself hasn't helped matters either.

6) Early winter has come and still no completed houses.  God is smiling on the settlers though as it has not dipped below freezing yet.  A woodcutter has not been constructed either which is worrisome.  I'm concerned the first couple houses may snatch up all hundred firewood for themselves.

7) It is now winter proper and all we have are frames...this is not good.  However, the temps still have not gotten below freezing.  Maybe they'll luck out.

8 ) Three of the houses have been constructed but the fourth not soon enough for poor Verenata.  Regg is no doubt hearbroken and poor little Alfred has lost her mother.  The couples and children situation has been sorted out as Gianning and Jadence are married without children.  Demon and Anabell are married without children.  Finally, Haywardell and Nickie apparantly had triplets at some point, Pleasar, Merrica, and Authornton.  This is setting up for some serious incest in the near future.

9) And here Dunsett sits as winter slowly releases her grip on the land toward the end of year one.  One casualty resulting from my sloppy building practices.  I suppose I should have gotten the houses built before the barn but Verenata was a butthole anyway or so Regg tells everyone...

The woodcutters is being constructed and there are still plenty of stone, iron and trees surrounding the future marketplace to continue building at a good pace.  With all the children starting at zero age I have some time to get the school built.  After that its either the marketplace or further down to get started attracting merchants.

The gatherer hut produced almost 600 in less than a year so it doesn't seem clearing the forest hurt the effort there.

RedKetchup

ROFLMAO Demon Hunter ^^^good one :)

irrelevant

Yes, when you use the "clear all resources" tool, you lose the food and herbs that are cut down, not collected. :(

In your next start, you should consider a boarding house, everyone can live in it, couples will have children, and it only burns as much firewood as one wooden house.

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on July 10, 2014, 07:14:36 PM
Yes, when you use the "clear all resources" tool, you lose the food and herbs that are cut down, not collected. :(

I have on occasion when I gave the "clear all resources" command seen baskets of gathered food around. On other occasions I have seen it all go to waste. I have no idea what makes the difference. Once I cleared logs, stone and iron and then gave the command. I paused and made everybody in town a gatherer. Overkill, of course, but they did collect the food resources.

So, if you really need to get that food, it might be possible.

tomplum68

the cold was more my enemy that first year than food, so it turned out not to matter too much in the end

tomplum68

So, we've made it through our first winter.

1) Once the fourth house was completed the cart demolition began to convert the forest walk to the cart to a walk along the road to the barn or stockpile.

2) In the spring we had our first two births since arriving in Dunsett.  Antha born to Demon and Anabell, and Michelsey born to Gianning and Jadence.

3) The kids are getting older all now 8 so we're running out of time to get the school up before they join the workforce uneducated.  The cart took all spring and summer to relocate into the barn and it wasn't until early winter that the foundation for the school was laid.

4) Just in time the school is complete, the kids were all 9.

5) And here we are in Winter of Year 2.  Resources are looking good and we even assigned the woodcutter into the labor pool because that is our biggest area of need right now.  With all the kids starting at 0 and losing Verenata to the cold we only have 7 able bodied adults to perform all of our tasks and thats all we're going to have until the kids get out of school.

We're also dangerously low on tools (3) so a blacksmith will be next.  The building has been laid out to the south by our layout for the marketplace and a road has already been put down to that area.  We need more logs gathered before we can commence construction.  Hopefully we can get this work done before all our tools are used up.

Not sure if anyone knows if Regg would hook up again as his wife died last winter or if he'll stay single forever?  He's living with his daughter who is still a child right now.

irrelevant

Quote from: tomplum68 on July 11, 2014, 03:19:29 PM
Not sure if anyone knows if Regg would hook up again as his wife died last winter or if he'll stay single forever?  He's living with his daughter who is still a child right now.
My first new couple in my current town, the wife died in childbirth shortly after they got together. He never remarried.

rkelly17

Quote from: tomplum68 on July 11, 2014, 03:19:29 PM

I've had people who got remarried in a nano second, I've had people who were single for awhile until someone within 20 years or so of the same age became available and I've had people who stayed single until they died. It all depends on who is available to pair up with and when. I've had some who remarried twice when spouses died. If there is no cemetery space for the dead spouse and they stay single their happiness takes a major hit. If they remarry not so much so.

tomplum68

there really isn't anyone available for him anyway

RedKetchup

maybe he was too much ... ugly :P

tomplum68

My print screen command stopped working (windows button + prt scr).  anyone know any solutions to this?  it was working last night but today it won't, i've tried rebooting and all the internet help I can find always seems to assume the person just didn't know the commands.  im on windows 8

RedKetchup

i dunno. it s in the key bindings of the game. me i placed it to  ' P '   2-3 month ago so i dont remember what it was before.
( I press 'P' and it does a screenshot directly place in the 'screenshot' dir which exists just side of the 'save'  dir.