News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Small mountain maps (for achievement hunting)

Started by Hardrada, March 01, 2019, 04:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardrada

I'm planning to do an all achievements on one map run (with hard start and disasters on) so have been generating dozens of small mountain maps. Thought I'd share the best looking, most promising seeds I found.

126606209 - not mine, including this one for reference. Mortal Smurph has a nice all achievements run on this seed uploaded to youtube. This seed has unbelievable amounts of building space for a small mountainous map and most of it is even right in the centre. You can place 3 efficient forest hubs around your starting spot. He breezed through the Uneducated/Isolationist phase without building any fishing docks.

413923190 - centrally located river, space for several efficient forest hubs close to starting position. 5 children on hard start.

112681346 - a bit less space on land but has lots of decent fishing spots. 2 children on hard start.

224196976 - a nice bending river offering plenty of fishing spots but mediocre on spots for forest hubs. Only 1 child.

574768468 - with lake and well placed river. I'd say above average map for fishing and about average for gathering with a good starting position. 4 children.

277731811 - plenty of fishing spots, mediocre gathering spots. 4 children.

759954767 - above average for fishing, about average for gathering but the good gathering spots are well placed (central, close to starting position). 7 children.

853932308 - above average both for fishing and gathering. Both the river and buildable areas are well placed. 4 children.

899214083 - getting all achievements on this must be extremely hard if even possible. Just including this one because I like the layout. River is in the west flowing in a canyon so largely unusable. Only one place for a trading post relatively centrally with 4-5 more spots in the hard to access SW corner. 1 child. Looks like a fun map to build a largely self sufficient mountain village on.

Would like some expert opinion on which are the best for an all achievements run.

Nilla

I haven´t looked at your maps but I have done all the achievements on one map and will tell you what I find important. First, of course, as you point out in all your map. There need to be space enough for some "forest nodes" and good fishing spots. When I found a map I kind of liked; first I checked, if it has a lake or a river bend where you can build that long bridge. I had to reject a lot of promising looking maps because you couldn´t build it anywhere. As next I looked if there were room for enough trading ports. The way I play, I need at least 6 trading ports to reach a population of 900 If there isn´t room for that; I would reject the map.

If these 3 options are there, chose a map you believe in. All the achievements on one map make a lot of fun. I´ve blogged my attempt. I remember, that it was a very nice map, but unfortunately, it was in an earlier version of Banished. The map seed numbers have changed.

smurphys7

There's many possible maps that can work.

These have also been used: 207801930 and 601902282.

Hardrada

Thanks for the advice. Besides the youtube video I mentioned in the first post I read your topic as well as Smilge's on reddit before deciding on going for this. I made the mistake of spending a few hours reading about the game before buying it. I may have shot myself in the foot with that as I became bored of my first Vanilla game at about 10 years in. So while I think my theoretical knowledge of the game is good enough I have close to zero experience actually playing the game. Could make this an interesting experiment at least. Or maybe I'm delusional. ;D

I've checked the above maps for the 50 tile bridge before submitting them here and I think all can fit 6+ trading posts. Most might be a bit tight on available building space though including the one I chose in the end. I've settled on 112681346 mostly because of the only 2 starting children.

In the meantime I've also found another great seed: 170943658. Has more buildable area than any of the above ones except for maybe 413923190 and it's a good map for fishing, too. If my current attempt fails I might try again on one of these two.

Nilla

I looked at these three maps. I would prefer 170943658. The one you chose, looks tricky. The number of children at the start is of no importance. The very first years are not so tricky, you´ll need a slow but steady growth at the beginning and for that, you need a certain number of children, maybe not from the start but ongoing.

In any case, let us know how it works. I wish you luck!

Hardrada

Thanks for the help again. 170943658 is definitely the best from these. 413923190 has few good fishing spots while my choice is lower in useable space.

On my map I can place about 12 okay fishing docks which I think can feed about 120-150 folks themselves if I don't run out of tools. Right now I'm more worried about achievements that require lots of space than about Isolationist/Uneducated. It would be a lot more crushing to run out of space like 100+ years in than failing early.

I know that the number of children is not important. I'm just trying to harvest most of the stone and iron on the map with my original educated couples and less children makes it easier to manage it for me. (I have 1 educated blacksmith and 1 doing clothes/firewood while the other 6 clear the map.) Currently I'm at the beginning of Year 6 with 15 adults and have 300 tools, 400 stone and 200 iron stockpiled.

Can I start a village blog if I manage to stick with this playthrough?

Nilla

It would be nice to see a village blog about how it´s going on.

Don the Lesser

This is a bit off-topic but I first want to say thanks to Hardrada and the rest for posting this because your post led me down the proverbial rabbit hole.  I started on the Mortal Smurph video, then a video by Curse Gamepedia onTop 10 Tips and Tricks, then to the Zombie Professor, Understanding Banished Tips and Trips.  They work!  I got my game up and running with surplus food over 10,000 within 3 years surviving just on the gatherer, hunting and fishing, with a single forest hub, an orchard hub, hunter hub plus  I just started industrialization.

So thank you for the original posts.  Everyone made me think.