News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Evidence Based Banished

Started by rkelly17, July 11, 2014, 06:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkelly17

I always appreciate those who do serious research about what really happens in Banished. I can't claim that this posting is based on such research--I just happened to notice these items when getting ready to build a house, but they do end up being evidence. Maybe this thread could serve to collect actual evidence about how things really work.

So, first item:

I have read in several places that you need at least two squares for a forester to plant a tree. Here is some of the work of my town forester>

These are three one-square holes I left in dirt roads as future sites for wells. My town forester managed to get a tree planted in each one. My conclusion is that a forester will plant a tree wherever he sees a space, no matter what size it is.

A second thing you often read or see in YouTube videos is that you need mature trees in order to spawn food items and herbs. The area in this picture was stripped clean in about year 7 or 8 before anything was built. Over time I built the various buildings and constructed the roads that make up the plaza. In the Winter of Year 23 I built a town forester who started work in Spring of Year 24. Now in Winter of Year 25 this is what is happening in the plaza. The yellow circles mark two mushrooms, one onion and one herb plant that have grown up in the previous season or two when the trees were 1.5-2 years old at most.

This is probably why gatherers and herbalists can share a forest circle with cut-and-plant foresters.

irrelevant

Possibly the gatherers and the herbalists need the foresters. Could it be that this stuff only spawns where new trees are growing??

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on July 11, 2014, 06:43:54 PM
Possibly the gatherers and the herbalists need the foresters. Could it be that this stuff only spawns where new trees are growing??

I don't think that's it because you always find plenty of food items and herbs left behind when laborers clear cut the trees. These things need trees, but how old the trees need to be before food and herbs spawn is the question. Maybe they just need trees of any age.

RedKetchup

if you check this screenshot ( of my District 3 in Roaring Fork blog) i took a special care to clean up everything (everything but 2-3 herb i remember to have let it there), every herbs and food before i started to land some building in there. in the screenshot you can see i started to get some mushrooms pop'ing here and there.

in the  rkelly17 screenshot, left of the herb, isnt a pretty old tree ?, a bigger tree than the others ?
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

rkelly17

Quote from: RedKetchup on July 12, 2014, 07:06:05 AM
in the  rkelly17 screenshot, left of the herb, isnt a pretty old tree ?, a bigger tree than the others ?

The area was stripped bare in the first 10 years when I still needed more logs than the foresters could produce. It is possible that a rogue tree grew up there as they sometimes do, but when the shot was taking the one town forester had only been working for 1.5-2 years.

solarscreen

Nice work @rkelly17! We need more of this kind of helpful work!
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

irrelevant

I guess this belongs here, although I have no screenshots.

I just bought 500 pear for my single idle brewery. I decided to risk doling it out from the TP in lots of 100 in an effort to maximize ale production.

Of course the trader, given the choice of the nearby market with the brewery fronted on it, and a far distant market with no brewer, took the 100 pears to the distant market.

I was following the brewer around, in an effort to will him to go pick up those pears before someone else did. He was very busy picking up resources--logs, stone--but was not thinking much about pears. In the meantime, I did notice that the "no resource" icon over the brewery disappeared.

I looked at the brewery, and someone else had picked up the 100 pears from that market, and taken them to the brewery! I had no idea that this was a possibility.

RedKetchup

so 1 of your Citizen is in reality an Angel ?

rkelly17

Could it be that a laborer did the deed?

irrelevant

@rkelly17 I suppose it could have been a laborer, or it might have been a vendor. I have seen vendors move stock out of their market into other storage. This fits that category.

slink

Here is my screenshot of an empty marketplace circle, the market for which is carrying everything.

rkelly17

Thanks for the screenshot, @slink. That pretty well demonstrates that a market will stock what anyone might need, even when there is no one to need it. And the vendors did it while obviously commuting a distance to work.

irrelevant

This is strange. She's standing in the doorway of her home, "visiting the doctor," but I have two hospitals.

Had some pathfinding trouble with this house when it was first built, the original residents froze to death cause they got in there to deliver food and then couldn't get back out to get firewood. But I'm pretty sure I fixed that. Does "visiting the doctor" have it's own special pathfinding routine that is broken in this case? Or do I have too many folks for two hospitals? She's the only one who's sick.

edit: Wow, three more guys got stuck in there with her. I set the house for demolition and all the food went away. But the builders can't find it. I even demolished the stockpile next door; no dice. They all three starved.

I have to demolish the house next door in order to get to this house to demolish it. Weird!

RedKetchup

maybe this one does home visits ? :)

irrelevant

lol, yeah, be sure to read the edit I did while you were commenting.