News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

What did you have for dinner/lunch?

Started by Nilla, September 07, 2015, 04:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

I just read the entry from @A Nonny Moose with the description of his lunch. Nice!

Quote[Dagwood sandwich on egg bread with butter, Swiss cheese, mayo, sliced ham, sliced turkey and shredded lettuce (romaine)].

That entry inspired me to this thread.

I'm very interested in food. I like very much to cook. This is an international forum and it would be very interesting for me to learn what you guys in different part of the world eat.

Totally off topic, yes! But maybe some of you are interested in food too.

What did I have for dinner yesterday?

Chicken. I fried a whole chicken three days ago. First day we ate the legs with risotto. The left overs are used for two more meals. Yesterday I made the chest parts. Stuffed with spinach and goat cheese, than wrapped in bacon and fried. I made roasted potatoes with onions and parsley and a salad of tomatoes, corn and arugula, too. To lunch today we will have a chicken salad with the rest of the meat, not much left, but it's enough for a salad.

Tonight there will be leftovers again. Two days ago I made the favorite meal of my husband: German "Rindsrouladen". That's thin slices of beef, filled with onions and bacon (in the original version of my late mother in law, there's also cucumbers, but I don't like it that much), spiced with mustard and pepper and wrapped into rolls. It's a bit of work, so I use to make a double portion.

assobanana76

Unfortunately, today is a day messed up!
I leave work at 15:00 and I have to bring the kids to the park because the greatest is learning to ride a bike and we must exploit every last sunny days!
I only "bagels" for lunch at work!
and then tonight, after the football, I expect legumes, salad and potatoes!
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

A Nonny Moose

Well, last night I cubed up a potato and boiled it with a little salt.  When it was edible, I drained it and reserved it for a few minutes while I chopped up a couple of scallions (green onion stalks) and got them into a skillet with some butter and EVOO (extra virgin olive oil).  When the onions were transparent, I added the potatoes and browned them. 

While the potatoes browned a little, I beat three eggs to smoothness, then when the potatoes were cooked, I added the eggs.  This became a potato-egg scramble and when it had dried enough I added about a quarter of a cup of sliced salad olives, mixed well and served for supper.

Cooking for one can be interesting and fun.  In this case, I am nearly out of fresh food as my shopping day is tomorrow.  I am something of a shut-in, and go shopping with a group over to the next town (Exeter, ON).

Alas, tonight's supper will probably be something from my frozen reserve of quick entrees.  I still have some sliced deli meats, which will go towards lunch, but I am out of Swiss cheese, so it will be simple.

Breakfast this morning was Cinnamon-Raisin bread with Nutella and milk on the side.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

assobanana76

felt lucky to have time to cook!
I too would like to try to make some recipes but with two children is already so if I can prepare their meals while one is attached to the leg and the other screams house passing game play!
luckily often I grandparents of the children who bring us lunch ready !!
saints grandparents !!  ;D
Breakfast at 2.30' this morning at the bar with coffee and vegan croissants!
only God knows what will have invented the cooks, cafeteria work, for lunch!  :'(

edit: to me it went well!  ;D
the chefs have baked barley soup, steamed carrots, baked potatoes, tomatoes cold, a sandwich and grapes!
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

A Nonny Moose

Last night I was at the end of my supplies so I nuked some General Tao's spicy Chicken and Rice.  A bowl of spoon sized shredded wheat later on with too much sugar put my morning blood check through the roof.

Nilla

Yesterday we had our vegetarian day. Inspired by my daughter who is an (almost) vegetarian (not vegan) and an excellent vegetarian cook. We cooked a lot together this summer as she was here and I learned a few things from her.

For lunch we had sourdough rolls with 3 different kind of cheese (love all kind of old cheese), salad, tomatoes and avocado. For dinner I made a vegetarian lasagna: With fine cut vegetables and red lentils instead of minced meat. Very tasty, I like lasagna very much and this vegetarian one is often tastier than the normal one with minced meat. With different kind of vegetables, it could be different each time. It could be very "exotic". I once used turnips! Have you ever heard of a turnip-lasagna? But yesterday it was more "traditional" with tomatoes, onions, carrots, garlic, pepper and spinach and a lot of old cheese.

But today we're back to normal. Lunch: there are a couple of these tasty rolls left, so it will be some kind of sandwich, probably ham, cheese and a lot of vegetables. Tonight it will be sausages, probably with mashed turnips, unless my husband catches a fish.

Quote from: assobanana76 on September 08, 2015, 01:01:42 AM

the chefs have baked barley soup, steamed carrots, baked potatoes, tomatoes cold, a sandwich and grapes!

I have a question for you @assobanana76; (or rather two).

Are your children vegans too?

My daughter who is not vegan but vegetarian is very considerate about eating enough proteins in every meal. She loves cheese like me, but still always mix some high protein, lentils, beans, nuts....... into her meals. Without the milk products, it must be much harder to get enough protein and the some of the vitamins ( D, B...?). The meal you told us about sounds delicious but not very rich on proteins. How do you manage?

A Nonny Moose

Well, H. Sap. is an omnivore and without supplements you can't really live as a vegetarian let alone a vegan for very long without coming down with some trace element or vitamin deficiency problem.  I do mostly avoid red meats, I simply can't afford them, but yesterday on my shopping excursion I picked up a rack of pork ribs and some shaved prosciutto, along with some very nice large olives packed in what appears to be olive oil, as well as some ears of sweet corn, some white potatoes and a bag of mandarins among other things.

The weather here is a little hot for running the oven in my tiny apartment, so the ribs may wind up in the freezer, but last night for supper I nuked a Chinese entree which wasn't enough, of course.  So later on I made myself a little tapas plate of some of the prosciutto with some of the olives, then being still hungry, I nuked a hot dog smeared generously with Dijon mustard.

Breakfast today consisted of two slices of cinnamon/raisin bread with butter, and a cup of milk.  I also attended the tenants' association daily get together for coffee and health check.  This is a seniors building and we have a buddy system to check on each other daily.

assobanana76

Quote from: Nilla on September 09, 2015, 03:46:43 AM
I have a question for you @assobanana76; (or rather two).

Are your children vegans too?

My daughter who is not vegan but vegetarian is very considerate about eating enough proteins in every meal. She loves cheese like me, but still always mix some high protein, lentils, beans, nuts....... into her meals. Without the milk products, it must be much harder to get enough protein and the some of the vitamins ( D, B...?). The meal you told us about sounds delicious but not very rich on proteins. How do you manage?

This is the classic typical first question that gets to a vegan with children!  ;D
but I am always happy to answer!
first of all I must say that my children and my wife are vegetarians (although she occasionally runs a steak or some sliced)
and first of all, do not take me as an example .. I am a vegan last hour (5 years) and for ethical choice.
I did it also as a matter of health.
I wasn't omnivorous but purely carnivore!
I basically ate meat at every meal (little fish and legumes and hardly any vegetables!!)
I remember that I did deliver 3/4 kebab at a time and freeze them for emergencies!  ;D :-\
unfortunately I often lunch at the table of work in which the chefs hardly know the word "vegan" .. from 5 years ask me if I want cheese on pasta and offer me the fish!  :-X
women who distribute the meals offer me ham saying "but why not? This is ham" (as if it were made of who knows what, but no meat!)
My family is followed by a vegan dietician. 3 different diets (adults, 4 years old and 1 year old).
the diet is weekly so I can integrate at dinner, Saturday and Sunday.
basically every lunch we eat pasta with legumes and vegetables while dinner tends vegetables.
fruit (fresh and dried) to snack.
B12 we integrate all year and vitamin D in winter.
I hope I was helpful but you quietly ask any more questions and I will be happy to answer!

assobanana76

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on September 09, 2015, 09:16:20 AM
Well, H. Sap. is an omnivore and without supplements you can't really live as a vegetarian let alone a vegan for very long without coming down with some trace element or vitamin deficiency problem.  I do mostly avoid red meats, I simply can't afford them, but yesterday on my shopping excursion I picked up a rack of pork ribs and some shaved prosciutto, along with some very nice large olives packed in what appears to be olive oil, as well as some ears of sweet corn, some white potatoes and a bag of mandarins among other things.

I can say that my blood tests (including vitamin D and B12) after 5 years have been altered.... for the better .. !!!
before they were all unpacked and now all values are perfectly in range (and practically rarely I take B12 and D almost never simply because I forget it)
I know .. it looks amazing and even I can not explain it!
vitamins B12 and D are not very present in the flesh as everyone says (because farm animals rarely eat in the meadows swallowing partly a bit of ground.)
if a person does not wash chemically vegetables eating traces of soil and microorganisms would be sufficient to supplement B12 as a display of at least one hour a day in the sun would be enough for vitamin D.
But here it would open endless debate in which I say my ideas vegan (taking exams, testing and research in my favor) and carnivores would do the same .. usually ends in a fruitless debate in which all remain on their positions.
if we succeed we'll avoid all the better!

A Nonny Moose

Quite interesting and good luck to you all.

I get my D vitamin from consuming fortified cow's milk, which is not on the vegan menu I believe.

B12 seems to come from green leafy veggies, but I also take a supplement occasionally because I get a neuralgia in my jaw this seems to fix.

I am a type 2 diabetic and insulin dependent.  My dietary advisor would not recommend going off meat proteins altogether, but I find myself eating much more fresh produce now that we are in the summer season.

On topic:  Last night I had two ears of sweet corn (buttered and peppered) with a zero calorie drink.  I had a cut up orange (navel) for dessert.  Later on I had a bowl of cereal (Special K Red-berry) which has freeze dried strawberries with rice flakes in about a half-cup of 2% milk.  Unfortunately this cereal apparently contains considerable sugar because my blood glucose this morning was 7.9 mmol/ml (high, but in the normal range of 5 to 8 for fasting bloods).

Because I have to eat about five times a day, I keep some snack foods around.  I have some small pepperoni sticks, but I also have a bag of Mandarin oranges.  And being a chocoholic, I have some small bon-bons which I try to resist, but fail.  Since they are mostly biscuit they don't affect my sugar levels very much but do provide some needed carbohydrates.

The heat wave has broken, and tonight I will probably cook the rack of pork ribs I bought on Tuesday with the new BBQ sauce I am trying.  I have some artisan romaine that will make a nice salad with this.

Nilla

I'm glad @assobanana76, that you and your family are healthy. You seem to be very aware of what you are doing and that's good. Believe me; I didn't want to argue or criticize; I'm just interested.

And don't be too upset or annoyed if people don't really know, what a vegan eat (or rather not eat). People use so many different "diets" for so many different reason, that it might be confusing for someone who isn't very interested in such things. But OK ham a vegetable; maybe that's passed the acceptable!!  ;D

Personally I try to avoid industrial food, including food from "industrial" farming. I know it's not possible completely, but I have the privilege to live in the country with small family farms in the neighborhood, where we can buy a lot of food. I also like the seasonal food. In summer we gormandized on fresh berries; just picked, sun warm strawberries, blueberries or raspberries with yogurt (or better Swedish filmjölk; something similar) that is the best lunch you can get. Now we eat much fresh vegetables, in winter we have much root crops and so on.

Talking about seasonal food; yesterday there were some change of plans. I wanted to make sausages with turnips for dinner but I was in the forest, picking some lingonberries. ( I don't know: google says it's lingonberries but the spellcheck doesn't like it and I have no idea what the English name for this red sour berry is). In any case, I also found some mushrooms and I think turnips and mushrooms, might not be very good together, so I roasted potatoes instead.

For lunch today we had a yellow melon with air dried ham (no local production :( but tasty), cheese, tomatoes and ray bread. As dinner again left overs; vegetarian lasagna and a big salad.

I know a lot about diabetes, too. My husband also need insulin and regular food. So we just finished our night snack; fruit (plum and grape) and also some fluid grapes; a glass of Italian Chianti.

A Nonny Moose

Lingonberries (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccinium_vitis-idaea) is correct, I don't care what the spell checker says.

So, last night it was cool enough, so I cooked the pork ribs with the new sauce I picked up at the market.  I think I am going to throw the rest of that sauce in the garbage.  It was supposed to be a garlic sauce, but you couldn't prove it by me.

So today I have some nice vine ripe tomatoes, and I am going to have a ham and tomato sandwich with lettuce (artisan romaine) on egg bread for lunch, which is sometime in the next quarter hour.
The ham is the meat protein, the tomato is fruit, the bread is needed carbs, and the lettuce has a few B vitamins, fibre and a lot of water.

I made a pig of myself last night and ate the whole rack of ribs then just ate an orange for dessert.  No salad.

Dinner tonight will probably be nuked ears of sweet corn.  Two.  Plus whatever else strikes my fancy, perhaps preceded by a tapas plate as I have some rather nice olives and a selection of deli meats.  Like @Nilla I gorge on fresh produce when it is available.  I suspect our growing season is a little longer here as we are just around latitude 45N in mid-continent (Lake Huron is just a bit further west).  My bag of Mandarin oranges will provide my before bed snack.

assobanana76

Quote from: Nilla on September 10, 2015, 03:21:01 PM
Personally I try to avoid industrial food, including food from "industrial" farming. I know it's not possible completely, but I have the privilege to live in the country with small family farms in the neighborhood, where we can buy a lot of food. I also like the seasonal food. In summer we gormandized on fresh berries; just picked, sun warm strawberries, blueberries or raspberries with yogurt (or better Swedish filmjölk; something similar) that is the best lunch you can get. Now we eat much fresh vegetables, in winter we have much root crops and so on.

to our dismay we live in the city, far away from the country and 1,5 km from an incinerator (which makes impossible any cultivation in balcony).
we devote our salary to the (super) organic market ..
unfortunately no one wants our home and is fading dream to move to a less urbanized...
to our dismay we live in the city, far away from the country and 1,5 km from an incinerator (which makes impossible any cultivation in balcony).
we devote our salary to the (super) organic market ..
unfortunately no one wants our home and is fading dream to move to a less urbanized.
we hope that sooner or later some fool decides to move in our city ..  ;D

A Nonny Moose

@assobanana76: Somehow you managed to duplicate your text in the last post.

Dinner last night consisted of a baked potato, and ear of sweet corn, and two mandarin oranges with some chocolate bon-bons later.  I am a bad boy, my fasting glucose this morning was 8.0 mmol/ml.  Should be a little lower than that.

There are some distinct advantages of living in a rural village.  The produce is very fresh, and even the eggs are from the chicken ranch less than a kilometre away.  About two towns over there is a turkey farm which has a retail store where you can get everything from a fresh-killed bird to whatever parts you might want. 

The market I use (every Tuesday is seniors discount day) has a large section at this time of year for local stuff.  They also have a rather ordinary, but good, delicatessen.  If I am lazy this week, I might just get a whole BBQ chicken (hot) from them.  It will keep me in food for a couple of days.  And that reminds me that I haven't used all the fresh stuff I purchased last week, so I'll have to see if any of it is still usable (probably).  When cooking for one, one tends to over/under purchase stuff.

assobanana76

Today the lady who distributes meals, and had put cream cheese on all the vegetables on the side!
I asked if they had at least a can of beans or green beans ..
and she began by saying "yes, but come on! for you NOT EAT ANYTHING I see what I find!"
and magically they appeared beans, galleys and intended to whomever green beans!
I have not eaten anything! ??  >:( >:(  ;D ;D
I live eating air!!