News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

What did you have for dinner/lunch?

Started by Nilla, September 07, 2015, 04:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

assobanana76

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on September 14, 2015, 07:17:29 AM
@assobanana76: Somehow you managed to duplicate your text in the last post.

ops!  :-\
I don't know how...  ;D
too many copy/paste from GTranslate!  ;D
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

kee

Made creamed cauliflower soup with bacon for dinner today. Mmmnomnom.
Kim Erik

A Nonny Moose

I have always wondered whether people on a strict vegan diet may dry up and blow away.  I most certainly could not survive without dairy products.  Where do you get your calcium and D vitamin?

Today for lunch I had a sweet potato and tomatillo soup and a couple of slices of buttered bread.  Unsweetened cranberry juice for beverage.

I tend to eat dinner in stages, and I am thinking of a tapas plate again tonight for openers.  I am partial to green olives that have been brined then preserved in EVOO.  I have some deli meats to go with them as well as some small rounds of brie.  I might add a slug of Irish whiskey to my cranberry drink as well.  After that, I'll raid the refrigerator, but will probably wind up with eggs in some form.  For dessert, if it can be called that, I can have a nice big navel orange or a couple of Mandarins.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

assobanana76

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on September 14, 2015, 01:56:41 PM
I have always wondered whether people on a strict vegan diet may dry up and blow away.  I most certainly could not survive without dairy products.  Where do you get your calcium and D vitamin?

the calcium content is, to a far greater than cow's milk, in sesame, sage, thyme and all the green veggies ..
the animal acid protein contain in cow's milk, for the expulsion through urine, require... calcium .. !!
and where to take it? from your bones!
.. these are scientific studies that show that in the countries who drink cow's milk, the incidence of osteoporosis is monstrous compared to countries where consumption is limited ..
for more, and certainly more precise, information recommend reading "The China Study" ..
Vegans tend not dry ..  ;D ;D
simply eliminate all animal fats in excess!  ;)
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

Nilla

Now i will tell you about the hazards of cooking, especially for a slight disabled, clumsy person like me, using sharp knifes.

This weekend friends were here for dinner. I wanted to make a kind of meatballs from fish. My husband catches a lot of pike. They have very ugly bones, so I use to run it through the meat grinder. You can make a lot of nice different stuff with the minced fish meat. This time in a French way with a lot of eggs (quenelle de brochet) baked with a nice white wine sauce.

I was chopping parsley and managed to chop off a piece of my finger. Not only a cut, but a part of the finger tip, with nail!   :( :'(  :-[

So, no fish balls with only one available hand. I thought the paste is much like a souffle, so I put everything in a cake pan and baked it like that. It didn't went quite as big as a real souffle, but it tasted alright.

Yesterday we had schnitzel for dinner (a request from my husband) not a real Wiener schnitzel, but from pork. With cauliflower in a white sauce. There are some pork left, that I will cook tonight. I don't know yet what it will be. Probably some kind of "Geschetzeltes"; cut in small pieces with vegetables.

Like you @A Nonny Moose I am a big chocolate fan. Normally we have one ore sometimes two pieces after dinner.

A Nonny Moose

Today was grocery day.  I picked up my usual staples, so dinner will probably be something with a salad of artisan romaine, sliced ham and a baked potato with butter or blue cheese dressing.

Sorry to hear that @Nilla damaged her hand.  I hope it will be OK.  Chef knives can be a real danger if you get distracted by something.  I try to keep mine sharp as razors.  They are less likely to slip that way.  Glad your pseudo-souffle was good.

Generally speaking @assobanana76, I don't eat fresh herbs in the quantities needed to get Calcium, nor am I a huge fan of dark greens.  Many of the people living in my building are widows waiting for the next step.  All of them seem to be dairy users, and there are no reported cases of osteoporosis.  I consume something upwards of four litres of cow's milk a week, and always have.  No problems with my bones, but my circulation system is a mess.

Anyway, I will turn 78 on Sunday, so my sister will be in town Saturday for a birthday dinner.  The restaurant we chose is closed on Sunday.  She lives in Manitoba, about 100 Km north of Winnipeg in a small company town.  The company has closed its site, but many retirees and other hold the town and find it good.  Her kids and grand kids live in Winnipeg or Brandon, so she sweeps through the Ontario golden horseshoe once in a while renewing old acquaintances.  Here she will be staying in a local B&B recommended by my colleagues in the tenant's association.  You see, in this town, I am still a "straniero" because I've only been here for five years.  I think small towns are the same the world over, and a seniors apartment building is no different.  The people here are friendly, but I often have no idea who or what they are discussing in the morning meetings.

rkelly17

Quote from: Nilla on September 15, 2015, 07:27:05 AM
I was chopping parsley and managed to chop off a piece of my finger. Not only a cut, but a part of the finger tip, with nail!   :( :'(  :-[

O dear, that hurts! I hope that this will not slow you down for too long.

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on September 15, 2015, 09:22:05 AM
Today was grocery day.

Tuesday is grocery day for me too, but I shop from a list prepared by our daughter (Our household is me, my wife, one daughter and two grandchildren 13 and 11). Fortunately we have two local farmers' markets and a farm store that sells a large collection of local produce and some of the best sweet corn available. And, this being Kitchener-Waterloo, the largest collection point for German immigration in Canada, very fine sausages which I had for lunch after marketing. The sausage selection has gotten even better over the years with Portuguese and South American varieties added to the German. Mmmmm.

Gordon Dry

Quote from: Nilla on September 15, 2015, 07:27:05 AMYesterday we had schnitzel for dinner (a request from my husband) not a real Wiener schnitzel, but from pork.

Oh, when I prepare them, I crumb them double, so I need one egg per schnitzel. I mingle the salt and pepper into the egg before.
I beat them only a little, so two of them fit into the pan at once.
Totally I do four of them for two persons.
And I fry them in a steel pan with clarified butter, not too less.
Only for two minutes max. each side, then they move on a glass plate into the oven (150°C), I do the next two (fresh clarified butter) and then also into the oven, then for about 5 minutes.
They're smooth like butter then with a crust, but not too crunchy, also not soaked.

Cauliflower is okay, but we prefer Spätzle with a mushroom-cream-onion sauce.

A Nonny Moose

@rkelly17: Some people are just lucky to live in the right place.  When I was working at U of W I lived in Kitchener.  There is no question that the St. Jacobs market is about the best in the country.  I miss it even after something like 35 years.

Well, it is 7 p.m. and I have to take my insulin now, and get going on supper.  Lunch was very catch as catch can, but I am going to try for something more balanced for dinner.  Shredded artisan romaine with a blue cheese dressing, a couple of thin slices of Black Forest ham from the deli, a baked potato with a snipped scallion and a couple of chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

assobanana76

you know that I envy all of you.  :-\
all happen to live in beautiful places, in small towns, almost all surrounded by greenery and with the neighboring countryside ..
It would be the dream of a lifetime ..
nothing to do with Sesto San Giovanni!  :'(
I do the weekly shopping at the supermarket (normal and biological) or at fruit-vendor (from which it is impossible to know the real origin of goods sold - usually the sign reads "Italian origin" that means everything and nothing given the different levels of pollution present in my country!)

anyway ..

@Nilla I'm sorry for your finger Nilla.. maybe the souls of the fish you were chopping it will be made a little laugh, in their own way!  ;) ;D
I hope it will heal soon ..

@A Nonny Moose  about the calcium, of course, I was talking about the studies carried out on a large scale throughout the world .. anyway, I'm happy that your neighbors do not have these problems!  ;)

oh! I almost forgot !!
this morning I had a pleasant surprise!
the bar next to my work began to serve for breakfast even vegan croissants!!  ;D

Nilla

@assobanana76; it wasn't the soul of the fish that had his revenge, it was the soul of the parsley I was chopping!  ;) I just saw on TV that trees in a forest have a social life; they communicate, support each other with food, nurse their offspring, warn each other, if there is danger and so on, why not parsley! ;)

Isn't there a farmers market in Milan? Where the farmers in the area (generally ecological) sell their products? I've seen it in other cities.

Yes @Gordon Dry your schnitzel sounds good. I make it pretty much the same. First difference, I don't need to fry twice. We are only two and don't eat so much meat. I know German meat portions are huge, but i have trained my German husband many years. ;) Second you cannot get Butterschmalz (clarified butter) here in Sweden and it's too tedious to make yourself, so I use a mix of butter and oil. That works too.

And what did I do yesterday with the pork that I didn't use for a second schnitzel for each? I chopped it (no fear for sharp knives), marinated it in some spices and herbs and fried it with onions, broccoli and chili pepper. My husband found it a bit too hot, but to me it was just perfect.

assobanana76

Quote from: Nilla on September 16, 2015, 03:21:02 AM
@assobanana76; it wasn't the soul of the fish that had his revenge, it was the soul of the parsley I was chopping!  ;) I just saw on TV that trees in a forest have a social life; they communicate, support each other with food, nurse their offspring, warn each other, if there is danger and so on, why not parsley! ;)

;D I say just to see this movie "The Happening" of M. Night Shyamalan  ;D

I am now running but otherwise I answer tomorrow!

rkelly17

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on September 15, 2015, 04:10:51 PM
@rkelly17: Some people are just lucky to live in the right place.  When I was working at U of W I lived in Kitchener.  There is no question that the St. Jacobs market is about the best in the country.  I miss it even after something like 35 years.

I don't know whether you read about it, but the St. Jacob's FM had a fire about a year ago and the whole barn-like building burnt down. They set up in one of those inflatable arenas like golf driving ranges use in Winter. The new building just opened and it is much better than the old one (and has a complete sprinkler system!). We were out early to lay in produce for freezing and canning and sat for awhile sipping coffee and admiring all that beautiful wood.

I think that a part of what keeps the FM culture going here is the Old Order (Mennonite and Amish) presence. It is funny to see buggies rattling past all the high tech companies and lining up in the McD's drive-thru, but that's part of what makes Waterloo what it is.

Gordon Dry

Quote from: Nilla on September 16, 2015, 03:21:02 AMMy husband found it a bit too hot, but to me it was just perfect.

;D I like it hot, to add hotness to wok dishes I mostly add 2 drops of a very hot US chili sauce on my portion, but there is already a basic of fresh thai chillies inside, my girlfriend is used to a soft hotness now, I trained her, too...  ::)

There are 3 types of humans regarding their enteric flora, so I guess 1 of these 3 types doesn't like it hot.

A Nonny Moose

@Gordon Dry : If you like it hot have you tried Harissa?  From north Africa and I have heard it described as the devil's toothpaste.  I used to like vindaloo curries, but as I got older my taste cooled down.  Now I even have trouble with Sharwood's Hot mixture.  I have all the materials to make my own curries now, usually quite mild.

@rkelly17 : Yes, I knew the market was rebuilt.  If I can, I'd like to get over there, but I am pretty much a shut in now.  I get out once a week to shop and that's about it.

Yes, the plain people are the ones who keep that area going.  Have you noticed that clothing stores all have a plain department?

@assobanana76 : Buona fortuna!  What goes into a vegan croissant?  Oil for shortening?