News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

What did you have for dinner/lunch?

Started by Nilla, September 07, 2015, 04:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

assobanana76

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on September 16, 2015, 08:32:18 AM
@assobanana76 : Buona fortuna!  What goes into a vegan croissant?  Oil for shortening?

They were not shown the ingredients.
I should have trusted.
usually vegan desserts are made with margarine and cream of tartar
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

assobanana76

Quote from: Nilla on September 16, 2015, 03:21:02 AM
Isn't there a farmers market in Milan? Where the farmers in the area (generally ecological) sell their products? I've seen it in other cities.

@Nilla
we can talk about two kinds of problems regarding the small local producers.
1. 90% of them sell the products in large quantities to GAS (solidal purchasing groups). participate in these groups usually requires a big commitment because you "force" also attend meetings, reunions etc. on ethical choices, choice of farmers etc .. beautiful thing but unfortunately I have no time for that with two children ..
2. local products are surrounded by incinerators! only in my region of Lombardy are 13! not to mention pollution from smog and chemical factories. so it would be nice to the km 0 but poor product quality.
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

A Nonny Moose

Dinner last night consisted of:

1. local tomato slices with blue cheese dressing
2. baked potato with unsalted butter
3. thin slices of prosciutto
4. the green olives that I purchased, brined then preserved in olive oil.

@assobanana76 : Incinerators are irrelevant if your veggies are any good.  They generally remove pollutants and don't move them into their fruit.  My grandmother always said you have to eat a peck of dirt before you die.  (A peck is about 9 litres.  One quarter of an imperial bushel).
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

A Nonny Moose

Next day.

Lunch is a deconstructed tomato sandwich.  That is, two slices of buttered bread and a dish of diced tomatoes.

Watch out for the chef types, they say the darnedest things.

Nilla

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on September 18, 2015, 10:24:31 AM

That you must explain to a poor non English speaking person. Google Translate doesn't say anything about the world darnedest and I'm not familiar with that world either. Swedish is a small language. Others than German or French, no films (maybe except films for really small children) are synchronized. They are always shown in original language with subtitles. That's the reason I know, and understand a lot of English words. (I can admit that I have big problems to put the words together in a proper manner :(  :-[  ) But on that word , I never stumbled.

I just had a very good dinner!

Yesterday my husband was shopping. As he went, he asked me what to buy for dinner. I said; "Buy what you like to eat, I'll cook anything you bring". He brought a big piece of fillet of beef. I haven't asked what it costed, but it was really excellent, and big. We had it yesterday for dinner. Just a thick slice, medium rare, with a big salad. Very good! There was a piece left for today, not very much but enough for a small steak with rösti ( fried, grated potatoes) and a sauce with mushrooms, fresh from the forest, onions and cream.

I see that you also eat a lot of tomatoes @A Nonny Moose . We do that as well. They are excellent this time of the year. We have plenty of them in our garden (small but delicious) but we also buy some at the market. They are almost as good as our own. Today we had a tomato salad for lunch; a mixture of our own and bought tomatoes with herbs from our garden and fresh sheep cheese from Greece (feta) and a vinaigrette sauce. Excellent seasonal food! It couldn't be better!

Pangaea

In this context it just means "weird" or something like that I think.

A Nonny Moose

Quote from: Nilla on September 18, 2015, 12:25:27 PM
Quote from: A Nonny Moose on September 18, 2015, 10:24:31 AM

That you must explain to a poor non English speaking person. Google Translate doesn't say anything about the world darnedest and I'm not familiar with that world either. Swedish is a small language. Others than German or French, no films (maybe except films for really small children) are synchronized. They are always shown in original language with subtitles. That's the reason I know, and understand a lot of English words. (I can admit that I have big problems to put the words together in a proper manner :(  :-[  ) But on that word , I never stumbled.

<snip>

I suppose I should be a little cautious with euphemisms and the vernacular but in English there are several substitutions for words considered unacceptable in some circles.

In this context, darn is a euphemism for damn.  I hope this gets you over this little hurdle.

I was referring to the adjective deconstructed, which I've only ever encountered in chef-speak.  Like all professions, they have their private jargon.

For example: how often do you chiffonade your fresh basil?

A Nonny Moose

My sister is in town from Winnipeg and dropped in to take me to dinner (tomorrow is my 78th birthday), so I let her take me to Eddington's in Exeter.  I haven't eaten that well in years since we were in Halifax.

I had a beef barley soup (cup) that was about as gourmet as I've ever had for opener then a braised lamb shank in the chef's French cuisine style with barely steamed veggies (mmmm) and mashed potatoes underneath.  The last lamb shank I had was in a small Greek restaurant in darkest Scarborough, or maybe it was North York, but it was in the Greek style with pilaf rice and boiled potatoes with veggies.  Frankly, there is no comparing the two styles.  Both were delicious, and to top the dinner off tonight I had the chef's interpretation of pecan pie.  WOW!

Since I am still just a 'straniero' here, I asked the ladies I have morning coffee with and they recommended this place as the best in Exeter for casual dining.  They were 100% correct and the prices were not outrageous.

Now mind you, this is the first restaurant meal I have had in over three years.  I still remember good food though, and I do my best in my tiny kitchen, but I can't do things like this without performing several nip-ups followed by a dozen or so handsprings.

Nilla

Congratulation on your birthday @A Nonny Moose. I wish you all the best.

The dinner at the restaurant sounds great.

Cooking at your place sounds to be a healthy thing; good exercise!  ;D  I'm happy to have a large country kitchen, so I cannot blame it on the space or bad equipment, if the food is no god.

Tonight we will also eat lamb, minced meat. I don't know yet, what I will make out of it, but there might be some Balkan inspired hamburgers, with a lot of onions and garlic, maybe filled with feta cheese.

Pangaea

Congratulations and salutations on your birthday @A Nonny Moose :)

:cake:

A Nonny Moose

kee

Congrats on your birthday, unnamed elk.
For sunday dinner today I made a stock soup from salted pigs cnucle and lots of fresh root veggies. Served with some bayer beer. Turned out very nice indeed.
Kim Erik

A Nonny Moose

Thanks.  Moose is a different species from Elk.  The meat is less gamy, and has better flavour.

Dinner last night was a BBQ chicken from the local market enjoyed by my sister and I with chips and dip.  She is visiting me from her place about 100 Km north of Winnipeg and will leave tomorrow to visit friends in Burlington, ON.

We are going to McDonald's for tonight's meal.  I haven't had a McDonald's meal of any kind in about seven years so it will be an interesting experience.

kee

Only in 'merica. Here in europe we're talking about Alces alces when we say elk.
I have a few independent burger joints nearby who, in my not so humble opinion, walk all over mcD. tastewise but things might be different on your part of the globe. There is something almost... nostalgic... about a visit to that ol' grease shop though.
Kim Erik

assobanana76

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on September 17, 2015, 08:42:46 AM
@assobanana76 : Incinerators are irrelevant if your veggies are any good.  They generally remove pollutants and don't move them into their fruit.  My grandmother always said you have to eat a peck of dirt before you die.  (A peck is about 9 litres.  One quarter of an imperial bushel).

this speech seems to have been already addressed in another post and there were opposing positions .. some argued that there was no trace of pollution in the fruits others said even that the earth would become so saturated that it is impossible not to finish in the fruits. .
in doubt, it might be best to avoid eating local produce ..