News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Chillville

Started by MarkAnthony, July 23, 2019, 12:17:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkAnthony

Chillville?

Yup. That was the actual randomly-generated name that came up. When I saw it I thought, "Hmm... they will think I picked that name myself!"   ;D   Nope. Totally random there.

I'm not going to bother with blogging about any of my games at this stage in my "Banished" career!  Nah... for a few reasons actually:

• My computer specs are really bad. I have a $500 system from Best Buy circa Feb. 2012 - it only has 512mb integrated video ram.
  • Because of that ^ I only play until my population is in the area of 500-ish or thereabouts. My system starts to slow down, whereas I think @Nilla feels like I have commitment issues based on a reply she once made to me.  ;)    Nope!  Just a lame computer! That's the biggest reason I don't spend a lot of time with my different games. I just get to a point where I can't and I'd rather not struggle against the computer.  The computer always wins!   :(
  • Playing with RKEC now I'd probably have to drop that down to a population of about 250 or so because of all of @RedKetchup 's flora and trees! The last game I played before this one the population was almost 100 and I had four established areas on the map but I had to zoom in close to the ground in order to even get the map to move. And even though this will hurt RedKetchup's eyes to see me say this, I have to play on 10x game speed to make it even seem like anything is moving. 10x game speed seems like 2x game speed to me now due to all of this lag.
  • With or without RKEC, by the time I get to 500-ish population or so and I'm lagging a lot, I get antsy to start over again fresh because I want to try a new arrangement of mods or a different map terrain or just a different way of starting.
  • And probably the biggest reason I wouldn't blog about any of my games is because I'd start off well enough writing about it and whatnot but then I'd get so caught up in the game and by then too much would have happened that I forget to stop and write about it. So yeah -- mainly this reason out of all of them.
So why am I posting about Chillville then? Just because I guess. I came to a good stopping point in the sense that my first initial settlement area is completed and all is well. This also gives me a chance to do three things here: (1) to say, "Been there, done that!" in terms of posting pics about my Banished village; (2) I wanted Red to see that I am actually using his RKEC mod rofl - I'm not sure if he ever really believed me or not that I was in fact using it; (3) and lastly because I wanted to say something to @kid1293 .  I'll get to what that is at the very end of this post.

So here are the images:
Chillville's Starting Conditions
Chillville's Map
Chillville's Original Settlers
The placement of UI windows I start a game with (it changes later)
Chillville's Initial Setup Completed
Chillville's View Looking North
Chillville's View Looking South

Some notes about the above images:
(1) If I have to keep an eye on some older children to try and get them to school on time I will place their names to the side like you see in my image. My two oldest on this map were both seven years old. It meant a rush to get the school up and running but not a hurried-rush to do so. I completed the school not too long after one of them turned nine years old. So on this map, I'll be 100% Educated until I start taking in Nomads which I do for shits & giggles!   :P Nah, but seriously those Nomads save my butt from time to time; they've only caused me problems once so far shortly after I started playing Banished. Hell, earlier this morning in a different RKEC map, the one I told Red about me having so much fun with, I took in Nomads nine different times and they were all well behaved.

(2) I missed it by seconds in taking the screenshots of my settlement with the crops and orchard in full bloom and the ground flora was showing more. My crop seed on this map was Kale, my orchard seed was Apricot, and you can see Bison were my livestock option.

(3) I started with an easier starting condition this time because kind of like I said up above, I like trying new ways to start a game. My first three or four games in vanilla Banished were always on Medium start with Disasters On. Then after reading the forums for a bit I was inspired to not be so timid about "things going bad" or "being way too hard" that I then switched to Hard starts. I've been doing Hard starts ever since, or even "Harder choices" when playing with North or RKEC. But I chose an easier start this time because I wanted to change it up and actually start off with a crop and orchard and livestock. I was getting kind of burnt out on doing the "forest hub" setup all the time at the start.

I did turn Disasters Off for about 1/2 my games after the first time I experienced a Tornado. If the tornado would have just kicked my village in the shins or something I may have continued on with that game, but noooo! It took out 2/3 of my village and population!   >:(   I threw the game away and started a new one with Disasters off ever since.  That is... until I started playing with RKEC again. RKEC is making me feel good lately so I feel braver and have Disasters On and I will accept Nomads any time as long as I do legitimately have a shortage of workers.

(4) As you can see, "I don't do pretty" - I'm just not creative enough, that's not my mindset anymore. Anyways, as you can see, things are off to a nice and casual start and the future looks bright!  Chillville seems to be an appropriate name after all, ehh?   :P

(5) From top left of the "Completed Settlement" image:

• vanilla School
  • vanilla Well
  • RKEC Colorful Little House two story
  • starting Storage Barn
  • starting Stockpile
  • behind the Stockpile is Kid's Dung Pile
  • RedKetchup's Old Blacksmith with Residence (separate mod)
  • Two vanilla Crop Fields (Kale)
  • vanilla Pasture (Bison)
  • RedKetchup's Old Tailor and Residence (separate mod)
  • Two vanilla Orchards (Apricots)
  • another RKEC Colorful Little House two story
(6) And lastly, to @kid1293 I wanted to say, "Well golly gee! That was a complete and total surprise!"   ;D   What I am referring to is I installed his Dung Pile mod after seeing @brads3 suggest it so someone else ( @irrelevant I think?) to control his excess Fertilizer supply. To my utter surprise it has the Trade Post UI interface like RedKetchup's Warehouse mod has. I absolutely love that Warehouse mod and I told Red that just this morning too!   :D   So thanks Kid!

But Kid, it appears to only work with one item though, am I right? I told the Dung Pile Worker to collect Fertilizer and Fodder-Thatch from the Stockpile next to it but he totally ignores adding the Fodder-Thatch.  So the Dung Pile, because of it's 2x2 (though 8,000 capacity limit) size, we can only actually select just one item to put in each Dung Pile? If so, okay but if not then why is the Dung Pile Worker ignoring the other item I told it to get?

That's it for me tonight. Good night everyone.

~Mark

Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of
        who do the things no one can imagine.

MarkAnthony

I forgot to post one more image just in case someone would like to see the mods I have installed in my WinData folder.

This ModMan profile is the one I am using for my Chillville game and the game I played before it.  Everything that is enabled but not marked shows up red in the in-game Mods window.

Once again, good night.

MarkAnthony

Seriously... I am logging off, really!    ::)

I just thought of something else I wanted to mention.  On this very old and outdated system of mine (okay, I call it lame) this ModMan profile takes me one minute and ten seconds from the push of the Banished game icon on my Taskbar to reaching the in-game menu. So not too bad, even for my crappy system!   :)

Artfactial

That is a very nice start; Kale and Bisons are a very steady source of income.

512Mb's of RAM will indeed be a bottleneck for many things. You should consider upgrading it!

As for loosing track of things to tell for village blogs: keeping notes and pausing the game are a great help.

kid1293

;D Hi @MarkAnthony
I have only one flag in the dung pile code - Custom4 - and that is for fertilizer.
I could add other flags but then the bannies would want to hide all sorts of things in the pile.

I have rather small warehouses (4x4 5200storage) in my Old Town mod if you want.
They have all barn flags.

brads3

glad to see someone paid attention in class. :)   that is a nicely organized mod order. i only see 1 that won't work in  the current setup,the grouse. game only loads 1 wild animal mod at a time.

MarkAnthony

Quote from: kid1293 on July 23, 2019, 03:45:33 AM
;D Hi @MarkAnthony
I have only one flag in the dung pile code - Custom4 - and that is for fertilizer.
I don't understand @kid1293 if you only put Fertilizer for the Dung Pile (which is obviously what I expected) then why does it have the Trade Post UI were I can see every item available to me in game at this point?

Thanks @brads3  - I tried! (to pay attention)  :D   I'll go ahead and uncheck Grouse for the future games when playing with RKEC.

MarkAnthony

@kid1293

So yeah, when I saw this UI window I thought I was actually able to choose whatever I wanted to add to the Dung Pile. Then I thought, "Even if that was possible, Kid may have only intended for us to choose one or two items per Dung Pile to keep it a little bit more realistic in terms of the Dung Pile's visual size."

So I am confused about the purpose of having this UI if we can only place Fertilizer in it which the name Dung Pile infers.

kid1293

The UI is set. It displays all the known resources. I can only change what is allowed to actually store there.
Sorry for the mess. Dung piles are not my favorites :) but brads wanted one.

MarkAnthony

Quote from: kid1293 on July 23, 2019, 09:40:50 AM
Sorry for the mess. Dung piles are not my favorites :) but brads wanted one.
LOL, perhaps he has a "dirty" mind!  ;)

Hey @RedKetchup , what do you have Charcoal flagged as? I'm trying to find a specific Cart or Stockpile for it. I don't see Charcoal listed in any of the text descriptions of an example item.  I would think Fuel but maybe Minerals? Thanks.

EDIT: Never mind. It went to the FireLogs Stockpile as I had hoped it would. I had that stockpile built up for a while and it had Logs and Firewood in it, they just never placed Charcoal in it... until now.

moonbelf

@MarkAnthony Nice starting layout!

Question: unless I missed it do you have a woodcutter for firewood?

QuoteHey @RedKetchup , what do you have Charcoal flagged as? I'm trying to find a specific Cart or Stockpile for it. I don't see Charcoal listed in any of the text descriptions of an example item.  I would think Fuel but maybe Minerals? Thanks.

Charcoal is flagged as fuel, like firewood and coal.

MarkAnthony

Quote from: moonbelf on July 23, 2019, 12:26:03 PM
@MarkAnthony
Question: unless I missed it do you have a woodcutter for firewood?
Yeah, just the vanilla Wood Cutter because that is the only one in RKEC that turns Fodder-Thatch into Firewood. I don't even have a Fodder Farmer yet and I still got loads of Fodder-Thatch just from the Banies clearing stuff for building and whatever else they do as a side hustle!  :P

Although I do have a fully employed (four) Forester to get me some Logs, that's all I have in terms of the traditional (if you will) forest hub. I'm so burned out on forest hubs right now since that was my main way of starting 90% of my previous games. Bleh! I needed a change so I chose an easier start just to get some seeds and livestock for once.  I'll eventually build an RKEC Forest Center but I'm good for right now.

The last group of structures I just finished setting up was the Clay Pit & Kiln and the Sand Pit and Glass Works. I already had a Lumber Mill from this morning when I continued off from where I left things last night. Preparing myself for my Lighthouse and of course three-story homes and/or all the goodies that can go beneath them!   ;D 8)

Gonna try to take a nap, I got a work shift later this afternoon.  Have a nice day everyone.

moonbelf

@MarkAnthony If you do a plantation from RKEC it will not only grow fruits it was also add logs as they cut down and replant. However you'll have to put a gatherer there to pick up the fruit baskets around the plantation (learned this the hard way lol). Depending on the fruits you grow, they can be used for making alcohol. Also, the driftwood loggers at your docks can gather a really good amount of logs. Just some different ways for you to explore getting logs :)

RedKetchup

good luck with your town :)

yup charcoal = Fuel | WoodFuel;
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

MarkAnthony

I built docks for the first time ever in Banished this morning using RKEC's docks. It took only a little bit of time for me to figure out how to do it, not too bad. I did this with Debug's Free-Build on a fresh map to learn how to do it.

Now the canals? I'm not figuring that out so well. It's much harder for me. I gave it a solid ten minutes then just stopped and shrugged it off.  Maybe another time. I'm not sure why but I seem to be short on patience today, perhaps lack of sleep I don't know - just am. I'm in a fine mood and everything, even have the day off from work again but patience?  Just wasn't there.

Any tips on how to do the canals better without throwing mental tantrums?    :P ::)