Eglingoldfort - an attempt for the Queen ;) of the Mountain and its modded copy

Started by Nilla, April 08, 2015, 05:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

Tried this morning to post a little about my medieval town, but it didn't work. I was thrown out from the site as I tried to post.   :(  Let's see if it's alright now.

I have decided to build a new small medieval village and rebuild the harbour area later. But, @RedKetchup, no worries, there will soon be no more wooden houses left. :)

First picture

Yes! My first 3-store house is ready! Maybe it's a bit too much with the balcony on the second floor, together with that playful third floor. I will do some experiments and see which combinations I like the best. The possibilities are many.

As you may see I build the small nice looking specialized markets . I even make an @assobanana76 ; third and second floor over a stock pile.  ;)

Second picture

That combination looks better to my eyes!

One suggestion for the next upgrade of the Medieval Town-mod; The design of the breweries! They don't look very nice.

Third picture

This is what I meant. The black roofs especially. OK, you don't have to build so many close to eachother, but I must rely on trade in this settlement so........ a lot of breweries. I will also build bakers and sell pie. Since I discovered that the fruit store also has grain, I have built built some in this new area. The store can support a lot of breweries,millers and bakeries.

I thought that the time of shortage was gone for a while, but I was wrong, as usual: I ran out of iron. No iron means no tools. :( I have ordered some steel tools but the merchants are stingy.

I haven't loaded many other mods than the Medieval town. But if you look at this picture, you can see one.  (@RedKetchup design  :) )

RedKetchup

Quote from: Nilla on April 28, 2015, 10:11:47 AM
One suggestion for the next upgrade of the Medieval Town-mod; The design of the breweries! They don't look very nice.

but this is the exact reproduction of the original brewerie !
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

Nilla

The reconstruction of the harbour area is almost done! No more wooden house, no more barn! I hope it's to your liking @RedKetchup! I like the look of it!   :)

I complained about the bakery in that other thread, will not do it here again. In any case; I produce a lot of pie.

I use the small stores as barns (no vendor in it). Here at the harbor area it works very good. In more distant areas, I will put vendors in it. They look so nice and they can hold a lot of stuff. (I would have preferred a little bit less). I also have one question to you @RedKetchup; Why a special market for meat/proteins and all the other food categories in the same. It's not a problem or a complain, only a question.

RedKetchup

the idea came from specialized market where you have many different store selling different items. also it gives alot of variety. maybe the store capacity is a bit high but also thit is good to get rid alot of those barns we see all the maps.

Nilla

As I asked about the markets, I didn't wonder about why it's different markets. I was wondering about why there is one for meat, but not for grain and vegetables. It's both sold in the fruit store. It's not important, or some problem, just a bit odd.

As I told you the last time. I replaced all the barns with these markets: most fruit markets because I use fruit and grain as raw materials for my export industries, but also some of the others. At the beginning, it worked very well. But now, I notice that the productivity of my bakeries and breweries are getting down. Same the health of the people. Why?

The main reason seems to be that the vendors don't steal merchandise from other vendors. The markets close to the ports are stuffed, but the more remote are more or less empty. The merchant brings a boatload of food. The trader put it in the closest market and there it stays. It doesn't get distributed over the place, like if it was put into barns.

What can I do to improve the logistics? There are some possibilities. I don't know yet, what I will do.

1. Re-replace the fruitmarkets close to the ports with barns. I'm sure it will work, but it's no fun. I like the small markets.

2. Reduce the number of fruit markets close to the ports. I might have too many markets, they contain a lot. With few markets, the trader would put the food into the root cellars (now more or less empty). And the vendors from markets a bit away from the ports, could get what they need from there.

3. Flood the place with even more apples, corn and honey. I don't buy everything the boats bring, and I have room for more ports. Than enough will probably reach the markets away from the ports. It's a small mountain map. Everything is close.

4. Rebuild the settlement and move all production sites closer to the ports. If I knew what I know now, as I started the game, I would probably have made it more like this. It's better to let the people walk to a distant home than walk to a distant market to get apples, corn or other rawmaterials. Maybe I should go back to an earlier save and do this.

5. Go on as it is. The productivity of pie is still very profitable. A bakery still produce 1000 pie, and the breweries 250 ale. I did complain about the high productivity of the bakery, didn't I. Problem solved! Let the bakers walk to get their rawmaterials. The map is small and the distance not all too long.

I ask you; what shall I do? What would you have done? Maybe there are even more suggestions.

First picture

@RedKetchup always says that he takes no responsibility if people make silly stuff with his mods. Here is an example of something silly. "Nobody´s fault but mine!" (I'm sure @irrelevant knows the quote, anyone else?)

Advice if you want to use the medieval houses on opposite sides of the road; build a broader road or be careful with which parts you use.

Second picture

Here is another example

Advice if you use these houses on corners; be careful with the tower parts of the third floor.

Third picture

I've established 3 new trading ports.

irrelevant

Very attractive town, @Nilla !

If it was me, I'd do a combination of building some barns (you know me!) near the TPs plus buying more fruit. I hate tearing things down though. Maybe simply buying lots more fruit would do the trick.

RedKetchup

personally i have the impression that is the last time she use my mod ^^

Nilla

No, you're wrong! I love these houses. Even that one with the spikes, people complained about.

I only want to say that you need to think a little bit before you put them down.

Nilla

I have played this game a little bit more. It works! I have found a strategy to get along. It's somehow a mixture of all my suggestions. I made these things;

- I tore some of the fruit markets in the harbour area down and replaced them (not with barns) with houses and a meat market (had too few of them and nuts aren't stored in the root cellars)

- In order to flood the place with even more food, I built some new trading ports and in that area I actually built a few barns.

- I built more bakeries on free spots close to the ports.

- I live with the reduced average pie production. It's still high, but varies much more now than at the beginning. The production of ale has recovered since I have 200 000 apples or more in my stores(!). But for the pie production there sometimes seems to be a lack of flour in some regions. I always build mills and bakeries together, but the close markets might be too full of pies (99 000 in my stores as I just looked). So I don't bother much at the moment.

First picture

New harbour area, note the barns!

Second picture

As I saw @irrelevant´s high productive woodcutter I looked a bit at mine. This was my best. Not quite so good. But I wanted to show you these two neighbor woodcutters. Why did one only produce only 2/3? As I looked; the woodcutter wasn't a nomad. (Maybe it was the year before, that could be an explanation).

Third picture

I have stopped to build any more production. The rest of the space will be covered with homes. The spike roofs seems to be popular in this last area.

irrelevant

@Nilla when I investigate my low-producing choppers, I usually find that they live far from work. This is most common in densely-populated areas, where there are lots of vendors and traders.

Nilla

Unwillingly I must confess that @assobanana76 might be right; you can probably squeeze in the double number of inhabitants with the New Medieval Town - mod. At least I will get close. Not only because of the 3-store houses, but also thanks to the productive pie-baker.

I now have 2500 inhabitants! Insane on a small mountain map! The number is still growing, but the number of children not anymore, so the population will stabilize soon (and than go down). I rejected 255 nomads a little while ago. So with the next batch of nomads I will probably get a population high somewhere between 2800 and 3000, much depending on how many nomads there are.

I still have a lot of pie. The food storage is huge. No hunger in this settlement! But they freeze in winter. I have few woodcutter and tailors, not really too few; if the production is good, it's enough. But now I have had a shortage of logs and wool! I have changed the order to the general trades men, but they refuse to arrive at the moment.

Talking of @assobanana76; I have made some experiments to use the medieval houses in a way they were not supposed to be used. Most of them are not very successful. But I somehow like the mountainside houses, at least some of them, also the overbuilt road is acceptable, but definitely not my attempt to build over the stream or several 2/3 floors on the same basic building. See for yourself below.

assobanana76

ihihihihih I am happy to have been right for once !!  ;D ;D
mountain homes ???  :o
great idea !!!! great !!!
I have just isolates 12x12 which ended partly in the mountains and had no idea of what I can build !!
for example those on the right..

great idea @Nilla !!
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

assobanana76

psssss.....
to solve those "holes" between the house and the mountain you could use the "flatten terrain tool" to flatten one or two tiles of the mountain to make the house fit perfectly!!
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

Nilla

Yes I know of that flatten terrain tool, but I didn't load it to this game. I really don't like the look of it when you change the mountain. It looks weird. I have used it (not in this game but in some other mod-game) to make room for ports or fishing docks at the river. If you don't over use it it looks OK.

I think if you want to build close to the mountain, it will look nicer just to use a second and maybe third floor. But be a bit careful, not all the types look good in that position, you have to use the F-button, to get the right parts.