News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

3D models

Started by Pangaea, October 11, 2014, 04:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangaea

Was browsing over at banishedpeople due to a link in another thread in here, and wow.... a picture by @Paeng has some dang nice models in it.

http://banishedpeople.freeforums.org/things-i-d-like-to-see-t142.html

RedKetchup

: gah

Marketplace items 3

by Medievalworlds

$135
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

RedKetchup

i should sell my buildings :) from 30$ to 120$ for my college and future monastery ^^

Bobbi

Really? It costs $135 to use those models? Although they are very nice. But seriously, some of the stuff by @RedKetchup and Cosack I would have paid for that as DLC. Talk to Luke, @RedKetchup, maybe you could do some DLC for him!

Paeng

Quote from: Bobbi on October 11, 2014, 06:11:49 PMIt costs $135 to use those models?

Well, nobody is suggesting to BUY these models... But as Pangaea said, they are nice to look at and may give some fresh ideas for new buildings and shapes, textures(!), and general treatment... even the default Banished buildings could use a bit more 'grunge'  ;)

Besides - I'm sure there are also freeware sites for non-commercial users, I did not really dig deeper in that direction yet...
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

rkelly17

Quote from: Paeng on October 11, 2014, 07:33:07 PM
even the default Banished buildings could use a bit more 'grunge'  ;)

I think that I would respectfully disagree with you, @Paeng, on this point. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for squeeky clean. I'm not convinced that Banished is really set in the middle ages--it looks a plays more late 1700s-early 1800s to me (e.g., presence of pumpkins and corn), so the wood houses are pretty much what one would expect for frontier living at that time. I also think that self-respecting farmers would keep their barns looking better. That being said, I generally like the Banished aesthetic and am happy with mods whose look fits in with the stock buildings. The list of those I use is getting longer every day.

As a professional historian I've always been grumpy about romanticizing the Medieval period and making it look like we think it ought to have been (think 19th century "fixing up" of castles like the Wartburg or the film version of Name of the Rose). I should relax a bit.  ;)

slink

Ah, Name of the Rose, wasn't Sean Connery just delicious in that?   :-*

Pangaea

Didn't know they were that expensive, but they do look very nice. Good for inspiration at least :)

Mentioned it many times before, but I don't like the stone houses. They are too dark and loads of them make the game world too 'negative' I think. The wood houses look great IMO, and if they used the same amount of fuel as the stone houses, I'd never build anything else.

Edit: Never heard about Name of the Rose, but Sean Connery is pretty much great no matter what he does, haha. Was that movie about the Rose War btw?

Mahnogard

Quote from: rkelly17 on October 11, 2014, 07:48:57 PM
That being said, I generally like the Banished aesthetic and am happy with mods whose look fits in with the stock buildings. The list of those I use is getting longer every day.

As a professional historian I've always been grumpy about romanticizing the Medieval period and making it look like we think it ought to have been (think 19th century "fixing up" of castles like the Wartburg or the film version of Name of the Rose). I should relax a bit.  ;)

I agree with you. I like the overall look of the game. Except for the stone houses, but I solve that by never building them. I did it once to get the achievement, never again. I, too, am only using mod buildings that go well with the existing buildings.

Off-topic - I need to watch that movie again. Haven't seen it in ages. Keep saying I'm going to read the novel, but that never happens. So many books to read...

slink

Quote from: Pangaea on October 11, 2014, 07:55:16 PM
Edit: Never heard about Name of the Rose, but Sean Connery is pretty much great no matter what he does, haha. Was that movie about the Rose War btw?
All I recall was that he lived in a tower with weird three-fold symmetry to the central staircase, around which there seemed to be a library.  Someone committed heresy and was about to be burned.  The tower ended up on fire.  Sean Connery escaped on a donkey with one sack full of precious books.  This jumble of impressions could be all wrong.  What I do recall strongly was realizing that even though Sean Connery had aged, so had I, and he still looked great to me.   ;D

Bobbi

QuoteAh, Name of the Rose, wasn't Sean Connery just delicious in that?
giggle.
Yes, he still looks great, too. He's not getting any younger, and neither am I. Sigh. I just watched that movie again a couple months ago because my sister had never seen it. Great murder mystery.
But on topic, agree with @rkelly17 on the time period seeming more frontier 1700's, 1800's to me. However, I don't feel that is a stretch to go in the medieval direction. Is it possible to mod the existing stone house (which look neither frontier nor medieval to me, BTW) to be perhaps a lighter shade of grey? Not so dark and depressing?

irrelevant

Quote from: Bobbi on October 11, 2014, 08:20:12 PM
Is it possible to mod the existing stone house (which look neither frontier nor medieval to me, BTW) to be perhaps a lighter shade of grey? Not so dark and depressing?
That would be lovely. Why aren't the stone houses the same color as the stone in the stockpiles, FFS?!?!

Paeng

Quote from: rkelly17 on October 11, 2014, 07:48:57 PMI generally like the Banished aesthetic and am happy with mods whose look fits in with the stock buildings.

Oh, absolutely... I'm right up front with you when it comes to maintaining the general 'look&feel' of Banished  :)

Maybe I should not have said 'grunge' (which apparently gets associated with 'dirty'?)... maybe a better word would be... 'weathered'? After all, the buildings in a village are built at different times, some even 50 or a 100 years apart... while some owners may be wealthy, others less so... some live in more industrial neighborhoods, some near the King's Gardens... and so on - many reasons why different buildings should show different degrees of maintenance and age...

In a sense this is probably moot, because as we get more different buildings, we'll also get more varied textures 'automatically'... though I think it's worth to keep an eye on this, at least for those of us who are interested to maintain the look and feel...

As for the period - I'm kinda relaxed on that, doesn't matter to me whether one sees it as 17th, 18th or 19th century... Let's simply say it's some time before electricity, stinking diesel-engines and polluting oil-refineries...  ;D

* And yeah, I agree that massed stone houses look like "slum"... gloomy, unhealthy, depressing...  :o

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Pangaea

Doesn't look much medieval to me either, more ~18th century, perhaps. Hard to say because the styles depends a bit on the building. The castle does look fantastic, but I agree it doesn't exactly fit the time period. Excellent modding work though, the person is clearly talented.

The stone houses would look much better if they had the colour of the collected stone, more in tune with the chapel, hospital or town hall. Weird design choice - but perhaps he felt the houses should look more old or poor, so the 'good' buildings stood out more? Whatever the thinking, I don't like the look of them when there are so many. The wood houses look more "cosy".

We don't have access to the models, though, so can't change them directly. But... wouldn't it be possible to simply change the files so that the stone houses used the files of the woodhouses too? Awkward solution, really, but at least we could get the lower-fuel use houses without the desolated look. Hopefully the talented modders will get onto the task at some point.

Edit: Yes, that worked quite well. Bit weird to have the look of woodhouses, yet the performance and cost of stone houses, so don't think I'll use it. Would be better with a different design on the stone houses themselves.

RedKetchup

i ll get back on houses after i will finish all the monastery/book done.

but to end about these 3d models .... most of them are coming from www.medievalworlds.com this is what its written on the jgp.