News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

rkelly17 - Jeddie Valley: Return to Banished

Started by rkelly17, June 10, 2018, 10:31:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkelly17

As the Governator once said, "I'm back!" After being away from Banished for a couple of years, I've finally remembered how much fun the game is and started playing again. In getting back in I am amazed at what incredible work all of the modders have been doing. For my first foray in awhile, though, I'm going to go with what I know and work into new things slowly.

Vital Statistics:
Town Name: Jeddie
Seed: 460301529
Type: [CC] Flat Plains
Size: [CC] Very Large
Climate: [CC] Very Mild
Disasters: Off
Start: [CC] Medium+

Mods: (in order): Bobbi Special Doctor House ( @RedKetchup ); Megamod Deco Pack 0.07 (BlackLiquid, etc.); Small Town Row Houses 1.20 version 1 ( @kid1293 ); CC No Smoke Version 11; Colorful Little Houses for 1.0.7 Version 2 (RK); Immortal Orchards CC Version 6 (BL); CC 1.75 Journey (BL); CC Decorative Items Pack (RK); Decorations Mod (Mathieuso Art & SLGL); Houses Mod (MA & S); MegaMod 0.07; Radius ReColour.

A hodgepodge, and not always the latest version, but it is what it is. In the case of @RedKetchup's and @kid1293's houses my memory is that I got those because they have some options that the MegaMod .07 versions don't have. I'm sure that if I downloaded the latest version of MegaMod it would solve that. No smoke helps put off the lag issues. I love decorations, so I use every one I can get my hands on. RK's Bobbi's special doctor house prevents one of the most aggravating habits of Bannies: idling at the hospital. It may well be @RedKetchup's greatest work of genius. OK, maybe that is hyperbole, but it sure cuts down on massive epidemics caused by idiots idling at the hospital and spreading disease far and wide.

So the map:

On Medium+ the field crop is soybeans, the tree fruit pears, and the livestock pigs.

My first pictures are from Year 4.

Here is an overview:

With the Medium+ start you get a barn, a stockpile, some seeds, a few of one kind of livestock and 5 families. The Barn is the one in the farm in the foreground. The stockpile was right next to it, but by the time of this picture it has been replaced by the one behind the blacksmith.

I always start with a forest village modeled after YouTuber pinstar's "Crossroads Build" which you can find on his YouTube channel. I always failed on Hard until I watched that series. Since this is Medium+ rather than Hard I modify it by creating 2 fields right off using whatever seed I have.The filed just above the two farm houses and the young orchard are these fields. I also build the farm houses first and third in the order of house building (second and fourth at the forest crossroads). I leave space between the work circles of the forest crossroads and the farm so I can build the school, small market, blacksmith and tailor. With Medium+ you also need a pasture for whatever livestock you have. I built a 16X26 one to make sure I have a large enough herd to split.

After the crossroad and farm are up and running the next phase is dependent on the situation. In this case I had an uneven number of people in the initial group, so the school was next. I wanted to get that last original child into school if I could. This was a frustrating group of Bannies. The first two to age up to adults were female and they each grabbed a house right off.  >:(  That meant I had to build more houses than I wanted to to get everybody housed, but it also meant that as the next two males aged up they paired up immediately. I then had one more pair before I opened the school. That doesn't always work out if you have a gender imbalance. In Medium+ you have enough tools to build the school first. On Hard you usually don't. On this map the blacksmith was next, then the tailor. In the first couple of years when you are short on workers don't work the blacksmith and tailor at the same time, rather alternating. That gives in an extra worker and in this settlement that meant I could build the market and get better food to the farm--often the farm people are less healthy than the forest people before a market because the forest people have a more varied diet. In this case the seed was not grain, so everybody was 3 1/2 - 4 hearts. I also build a cemetery ASAP in case someone dies early--that or make use of that trusty autosave.  ;)

brads3

i have not noticed the hospital idle problem. i wonder if it has been modded out by now? i will admit i seldom buid a vanilla hospital. there is RK NMT clinic,the pine mod,and KIDD has several options now.

Abandoned

Welcome back  :)  It is nice to have another example of how towns are built.

rkelly17

Quote from: brads3 on June 10, 2018, 11:01:10 AM
i have not noticed the hospital idle problem. i wonder if it has been modded out by now? i will admit i seldom buid a vanilla hospital. there is RK NMT clinic,the pine mod,and KIDD has several options now.

That could be, but I don't like to take chances.  ;D  Most of the time I build hospitals or other health facilities as far out of town as possible. It takes awhile for people to get out there--some of them are miraculously healed before they even arrive--but they spend much of the time walking where there is no one else about, thus not infecting people as they go. I build a house for the doctor at the closest edge of the nearest market circle. When I first started playing Banished I built my hospitals right in the middle of town, thus creating an epidemic factory. As the settlement grows I try to put at least one in each cardinal direction so people aren't crossing the map. My recollection is that people go to the hospital nearest their house.

By the way, everyone, I apologize for the giant graphics. I forgot the details of appropriate uploading.

Gatherer

Will be following this town as it develops. :)

Quote from: rkelly17 on June 10, 2018, 10:31:53 AM
Houses Mod (MA & S)

Is this mod available for download somewhere?

There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

rkelly17

Quote from: Gatherer on June 11, 2018, 12:48:25 AM

Will be following this town as it develops. :)

Quote from: rkelly17 on June 10, 2018, 10:31:53 AM
Houses Mod (MA & S)

Is this mod available for download somewhere?

The actual name is Mathieuso Houses. It is in the Mods folder of the download section.

rkelly17

Year 8

The settlement in the Jeddie Valley has reached Year 8. The settlement now has 62 citizens: 39 working adults, 12 students, and 11 children. With the rise in population there can now be a permanent smith and a permanent tailor. In addition the pig herd has grown to the point where meat and leather are being produced. For the first time there are 100 crude tools and 100 hide coats in storage. Since Year 4 a number of houses have been added to the settlement, as well as a second farm. Though the second pear orchard is still immature, the first orchard is bearing fruit every year. The food supply is now plenty for all. There are 18 houses with three citizens waiting for a house.

Here are the farms. You can also see many of the newer houses.

The community also decided to build a small monument to their arrival next to the spot on the river where they began the settlement. The "Town Arrival" serves as a memorial and as a place to gather for deliberation, planning and sharing inventory and other vital information.

And they made provision for spiritual care by building a simple parish house across from the cemetery.

Most importantly, the community was able to build an agricultural trading post and begin stocking it with firewood to trade. The first trader arrived very quickly. Fortunately he was carrying corn seeds, which would enable the settlement to have a complete diet. Unfortunately he wanted 3500 trade units for his corn seed (This is Colonial Charter--in vanilla he would have only wanted 2500). The merchant waited while the community gathered 800 firewood and 300 soybeans, which made up the 3500 trade units. That means next Spring corn can be sown and the community will be able to grow a grain. I was hoping that soybeans, being a real life legume and a protein source, might count as a "grain" in CC, but apparently not. The health average is only 3 1/2 stars now, but the corn should bring that up in a couple of years.

Now that the trade is complete, the draw bridge will be lifted and the merchant will continue on his way.

Nilla

Nice! I'm looking forward on the development of this town. You might remember, that I´, a bit odd; I would like to see some statistics from time to time. That "stuff" pleases me.  :-[  ;)

rkelly17

Quote from: Nilla on June 11, 2018, 11:27:47 AM
Nice! I'm looking forward on the development of this town. You might remember, that I´, a bit odd; I would like to see some statistics from time to time. That "stuff" pleases me.  :-[  ;)

Don't worry. They're coming.

rkelly17

Report from Year 12

The time from Year 8 to Year 12 has seen good population growth--enough, in fact that the settlement expanded into new territory North of the river. The first step was to clear the trees, rocks, iron ore, and food plants from the planned area. Then the road was extended from the draw bridge. Construction began with a market plaza, three houses, and a school. Because the parish house was too small to accommodate the growing population, a small chapel was also built. Plans are laid for a village hall, three more houses, smith, tailor, and a larger cemetery, but those are on hold at the moment. The first priority for the new area is farms! The citizens were able to get one completely finished before the Spring planting season. The second was not ready for planting filed crops until too late in the season, but the orchard is being planted. The barn will be next. The hope is that two more farms can be completed before next Spring. As you can see, the citizens are now building a better grade of house as the settlement is gaining in prosperity.

In the meantime, in the hope that sometime soon a merchant will come with sheep to trade, a new pasture was built so that all is prepared to receive the animals.

As always in Banished there are little mysteries. I usually build my fields as 9X9 squares. This is a habit from pre-modding days when this was about the maximum that one worker could handle and get the harvest in on time. Under normal conditions a 9X9 field will produce 584-588 units. This has been my experience since version 1.0.3 at least, maybe longer. But, I present to you two, side by side, corn fields. Both were converted from soybeans right after the initial trade for corn seed. The one on the right has been consistently in the normal range 584-588. The one on the left, however has always produced much less, like 450 or so. The winter previous to this picture I bulldozed the one on the left and rebuilt (which is why there is no number from last season), but as you can see, it is still odd. The worker has begun harvesting well ahead of time (this picture is summer) and well ahead of any other farmer in the settlement. Why? Both farmers live immediately adjacent to their fields and have easy access to barns. So what is up with the left hand field? The right hand field, by the way, is the oldest field on the map, begun in Early Spring of Year 1.

You can also see from the pictures of the two fields that the settlement has seen several merchants in the past four years, one of whom had cabbage seeds to trade. The citizens plan on a roast pork and sauerkraut festival at the end of next Winter.

And now, especially for @Nilla, STATS!!!

We aim to serve.

Back in four years.

Nilla

RedKetchup

when i see duck meat, i always think about duck tape :P
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

rkelly17

Quote from: RedKetchup on June 12, 2018, 05:42:06 PM
when i see duck meat, i always think about duck tape :P

Did they ever show The Red Green Show in Quebec? It was quite popular in Ontario. He fixed everything--and I do mean everything!--with duck tape.

Nilla

I have a friend who had a small accident on a parking place with his car. He "repaired" with I guess around 5 rolls of "duck tape"!  ;D

RedKetchup

Quote from: Nilla on June 13, 2018, 01:34:26 AM
I have a friend who had a small accident on a parking place with his car. He "repaired" with I guess around 5 rolls of "duck tape"!  ;D

lol i should make an house it takes 24 wood and 5 rolls of duck tape :P
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .