News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Is Vanilla your taste?

Started by kid1293, July 13, 2018, 09:21:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kid1293

After reading your comments, good folks, I am still not sure what to do.
Since I have had it with storage, and no one has really objected to it,
I keep it as it is. @brads - I add a smaller forester to the set. Without storage.
@Abandoned asked for one and it seems like that building is the only complaint.

Thanks all. Now go back and play the game :)

kid1293

@galensgranny - I added a standard well. To keep it simple on toolbar I placed it together
with the nomad wells. It says 0% nomads. (I removed the code)

galensgranny

Quote from: kid1293 on July 23, 2018, 04:15:36 PM
@galensgranny - I added a standard well. To keep it simple on toolbar I placed it together
with the nomad wells. It says 0% nomads. (I removed the code)
Thanks, Kid!  I like the different colored roof tops for the wells.

galensgranny

Quote from: embx61 on July 23, 2018, 02:58:23 PM
I was not meaning you Granny but I read it many times also on other sites that it is bad practice to place extra buildings in a forester circle and have seen quite a few players believe it.
So I can see from their point of view the wasted space of some footprints like forester goes against the the above.
I just wrote it to let players know it is not a bad thing to place extra buildings in a circle because I do it every time without issues.

As for storage to the forester building. I am not against it but I personally have no use for it because a small barn in the circle will do just that and fits with my play style as I don't care about losing some trees for close by storage. :)
The wasted space from some Vanilla buildings is something I not worried about.
It is not perfect but not a game breaker either and Luke was just a bit lazy here to come up with a better solution I think.  :D

Now see if I can add storage to the Town Hall because technically it is wasted space too.  :P   :D  [ducking]

That's a great idea, Embx, to add storage to the Town Hall!   ;D
I had read that too, to not have buildings in the range of the gatherer, etc.   I never could decide if it mattered or not.  So I just do it a bit of this, and a bit of that.

Goblin Girl

Quote from: galensgranny on July 23, 2018, 01:13:40 PM
  Before we had these buildings that also stored items, didn't you always put some kind of storage barn nearby for the gatherers and hunters to put their products?
I still do.  When I build a forest hub I typically put a gatherer, barn, forester, two or three houses and the tiny school for 7 people.  But I put the stockpile outside of the circle, because I rarely get so low on logs that I have to have my forester do anything besides plant.  I think that's because I typically use the Appalachian Forest starting condition.  Trees for days.

BlueFireChelle

I like to put one of your little Workplace storage sheds out in the forest. I build a couple of small homes and the Workplace shed about midway within the forester's radius and the edge of the settlement. That seems to work well for my bannies. :)

galensgranny

Quote from: BlueFireChelle on July 24, 2018, 03:39:31 AM
I like to put one of your little Workplace storage sheds out in the forest. I build a couple of small homes and the Workplace shed about midway within the forester's radius and the edge of the settlement. That seems to work well for my bannies. :)
Kid's workplace tiny sheds are the best thing ever!  I, too, put them in outer areas of the forest so the hunters and gatherers have a quick place to drop off their products.  And then, I use them often for "back yard" storage sheds for the Bannies.  Thanks, Kid, for making that tiny shed!  It's one of my essential items for Banished.  :)

rkelly17

Quote from: embx61 on July 23, 2018, 02:58:23 PM
I was not meaning you Granny but I read it many times also on other sites that it is bad practice to place extra buildings in a forester circle and have seen quite a few players believe it.
So I can see from their point of view the wasted space of some footprints like forester goes against the the above.
I just wrote it to let players know it is not a bad thing to place extra buildings in a circle because I do it every time without issues.

I agree, @embx61. I always build a forest node with hunter, gatherer, forester, woodcutter, barn, stockpile and six houses (slots for all workers for the four buildings). Production is fine and I think that the increased efficiency of everybody makes up for any loss of space. Of course, I do use Red's colorful little two-story houses which adds to space available for trees and gatherables. I always use vanilla for all four work sites because, . . . well, because I just got used to doing it that way, I guess.

embx61

@rkelly17

:) There are several mods that replaces the Vanilla buildings in all or in part.
Red replaced most buildings in his Red Editor Choice Mod but you get the whole package.

Then Kid made some mods what replaces Vanilla buildings if you are more into some smaller size buildings.
Necora's mods also have some replacements of Vanilla.

Tom's The North also replaces some Vanilla buildings.

Then Discrepancy also have replacement for Vanilla buildings.

My EB Village set have about all the Vanilla buildings covered and some buildings are a bit smaller too.
No chances to game play besides that it uses Iron Ore instead of Iron what can be mined or picked up from the ground.
The rest is about the same as Vanilla.

I just separated some parts of the set to be more modular for those who only want the houses can do so without the production stuff and so on.
The whole set will always be available too.

So choice enough to replace (some of) the Vanilla buildings if you feel up to it :)
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

Abandoned

LOL this thread is about adding to and enhancing original vanilla, also adding vanilla wood and thatch to Tiny and if the resource gatherers with storage was liked or not. I thought they would be but I thought the forester with storage was too big to be called Tiny.  :)   I was glad to know there are others that like the original vanilla wood and thatch roof. Old Town mod will have some very nice looking pieces to compliment vanilla.   :)

brads3

one thing that helps with the modded forest sets is the radius is not the same. some are smaller.depending on where you want to locate, you have some options. the other option is what goods you want to have or need.the pine mod brings mapple sap and apple trees.the CC addon orchard forest mod has many fruit and nut trees. depending on mod combinations you have a wide range of different goods for the bannies or trading. i should add not all trees give the same amount of logs either.

it is interesting to hear how you all play different. i like the universal storage options in the forests like RED's forest barn or KID's set with added storage.as the forester clears iron and stone, he has somewhere to put it. i have a small shed,i think REd made it a long while back.it is quite handy as a workplace storage.

galensgranny

Quote from: Abandoned on July 24, 2018, 02:32:24 PM
LOL this thread is about adding to and enhancing original vanilla, also adding vanilla wood and thatch to Tiny and if the resource gatherers with storage was liked or not. I thought they would be but I thought the forester with storage was too big to be called Tiny.  :)   I was glad to know there are others that like the original vanilla wood and thatch roof. Old Town mod will have some very nice looking pieces to compliment vanilla.   :)
Yes, it is so that the forester in Kid's Tiny set is actually too large to be considered "tiny". 

I would like the tiny houses to have the Vanilla roofs as another option.  I like all kinds of roofing choices.  I sure don't only want thatch look, but for some starting homes, I sometimes like that the people first had to use what was readily available to make a weather proof home.

kid1293

Just like Picasso had his 'blue period' I have my 'thatch period' :)

It is nice to have a goal when you are modding. Not only strive to keep
up the appearance of what you are doing. I am glad I started to mod
with vanilla textures. They really showed where it all started.
To me it is an experience. Others may have left and forgot...

There will be a mod called Old Town with some buildings in only (almost)
vanilla textures. I am not quite ready.
I have also an update to Tiny (Tiny2) where I will add a vanilla wood/thatch
to all buildings in the mod. I will also add thatch roof to red/green/blue
to get some variation ( gives a :) to @galensgranny )
@Abandoned has followed my progress and made me follow the path.
I am easily distracted :) but I think you will be pleased with both mods
when they are done.
Here is a taste of what I am doing -

Keep up the good faith! :)

HappyLeighEverAfter

QuoteWhat are your thoughts on such a mod?
It will be very much vanilla style. No fancy resources or production chains.
Just a few buildings to fill out some gaps.

These little buildings are delightful!
Any extra stuff to supplement the vanilla houses is VERY welcome. It's never been the case that I don't like them, just that they are a bit limited as far as creativity and deco goes...
Thank You so much for your continued generosity to the Banished community. We love your mods and we love you.
:D

galensgranny

Quote from: kid1293 on July 24, 2018, 03:04:21 PM

I have also an update to Tiny (Tiny2) where I will add a vanilla wood/thatch
to all buildings in the mod. I will also add thatch roof to red/green/blue
to get some variation ( gives a :) to @galensgranny )
@Abandoned has followed my progress and made me follow the path.

I thank you very much for that, @kid1293 ! The thatch roof looks super on the colored wood!  :)   

I like that vanilla "thatch" roof because it does not look like a bunch of dried grass that mice, rats, bugs, and who knows what else might live in.  I pretend it is a stylish type of roofing wood.