News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

'Sylvestenkill' anno 115

Started by JimmiG, February 09, 2015, 04:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmiG

Just a few shots to showcase my first proper Colonial Charter town. Really liking this mod which adds so much stuff and things to do to an already dangerously addictive game - last night I looked at the clock at 11:30 p.m., figured I'd just play a little bit more before going to sleep, and the next time I looked it was 3 a.m.  :-[

Sylvestenkill was founded by Swedish immigrants who had arrived in Minnesota during the years of hardship in Sweden. The big lake reminded them of the home they had left behind, and a small settlement focused on gathering and hunting, now called Old Town, was built. It was later expanded to include a brickmaker, blacksmith, clothier and other necessities. Across the river to the west, an Inn was built where workers could relax and weary travelers could rest. A few of the first shacks built still stand, while others are only rubble.

However, the river just south-west of the town was a major thoroughfare for traders, and soon the town expanded with the Trader's District. The river also provided power for a sawmill and watermill, and the people found that the flowing river provided a steady supply of sand and clay. Sadly, no gold has been found as of yet.

The Commercial District, the heart of Sylvestenkill, built on the profits of decades of trading

South of the Commercial District you can find the clergy, royalty and academia

Beyond that, the slums, with the wharf and ship (somehow this Minnesota lake actually has whales in it, no one really knows how they got there), smaller shacks and houses, and dangerous and smelly industries like brickmakers and charcoal burners.

North-east of the Commercial district, yet another district has recently popped up. The people here generally work in the farms east of the town, although it's also a major religious center for those seeking a refuge from the busy downtown.

Overview of the downtown.

Nilla

Very nice. Very industrious people, must be the good Swedish genes of your inhabitants. ;)

Presently I am testing the CC mod, too. I'm trying to communicate my efforts on this page, at the blogs. Your settlement confirms my thoughts about the CC-mod: If you like a city building game, if you like to design a nice looking town, if that's your main purpose; it's a great mod.

I like more the surviving, simulation aspect of Banished. The strange balancing of many building causes me trouble. :(

JimmiG

I agree that it takes out some of the heart and soul of the game, ie. the survival aspect. However it also adds something more to do after you've built all the vanilla buildings and more or less mastered the mechanics of the original game.

It's still work in progress and definitely improving. The first few versions felt very disjointed and incoherent, like a giant collection of unrelated mods. The Iron Curtain and Excellent Adventure feel more like an overhaul of the game. The new production chains and some trading values might still need a little bit of balancing, but a new version is coming soon - Sadly that will probably require a fresh start once again.

salamander

I'm looking at your screenshots and thinking I may have to try CC ... the buildings are nice.  I have to agree with @JimmiG, it adds something more to the game once you feel like you've gotten the basic survival part down.  Not that I really have ...  :)

JimmiG

The cool thing is that the challenge is still there, even with all the city building and new production chains on top.
You can see two dips in my population graph - the first was because I kept upgrading too many houses at once, causing citizens to move into boarding houses and being unable to reproduce - see how children and students nearly hit zero? Before the population numbers could even rebound, a tornado hit. I had to assign nearly everyone to rebuild the settlement, causing me to nearly run out of iron, stone, food and tools. I thought the colony was doomed then. I think Banished is the only horror survival city builder on the market  8)

Herrbear