News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Lakeland - Story 11

Started by Abandoned, February 24, 2017, 03:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Intro

This is the 11th story in the Smallville series and it tells the tale of the 7th expedition to leave that town.  It was year 33 in Smallville.  Several years of heavy rains resulted in the last 2 expeditions going to the aid of animals and survivors and founding the towns of Animal Refuge and Refugee Camp, downstream.  However, despite the heavy rains, Smallville's main river was drying up, no boatman came with much needed food from Pumpkin Hollow in months.  Something was wrong with the river upstream.  Expedition 7 is going there to find out what.

Lakeland is map # 951310943  Big Lake, Small, fair, disasters Off, Vagrant Start. (Multiple Start Mod)

The Big Lake map file was given to me by @kid1293 along with a wonderful Smallville Welcome Sign and birch bark canoe at the end of story 10, thanks Kid.  The Vagrant start conditions is 5 families (with 2 children), a boarding house, and a surprising number of supplies including 1 crop seed.

Other Mods (some old l.0.6 & some new 1.0.7):  Forest Outpost, Maritimes Dock Set, Maritime PEI Shore, Better Fields, Black/White Cattle, Buildable Storage Carts, Chicken Coop, Colorful 2 Floor Little House, Cozy Cabin, Decorative Plants, Firewood Storage, Green House, Idle Small Fisherman Dock, Longer Living Orchards, Market BBQ, Mini Building, Mushroom Fix, New Flora, 1:1, Sample White Chickens, Small Port, Specialized Stockpiles & Trading Posts, Storage Crates, Tiny, Village School, Washing Mod, Water and Other Decorations, Workplace.   Note: I have not updated my game to 1.0.7.

So weary traveler, you aren't going to believe this ...

Nilla

Good the see, an over all map of all your settlements. I had a lot of things to do in life and some internet problems, so I didn't follow your last story as you wrote it (I have caught up now) but I'm looking forward of this one. :)

Abandoned

@Nilla , @brads3 gets a little lost sometimes, said he needed a map and timeline.  I would have like the map to turn out a little neater but it will do.  I have not gotten too far with the timeline, always too much real life stuff to do here too.  I think you will like this story too.  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 1

Back in Smallville, they gave me an ultimatum, either I marry Henders or I go to a mission school for girls to learn responsibility.  Ya, right like we were in the middle ages or something, all because on a hot day I went swimming instead of picking dirty mushrooms in the woods.  When I protested my father said at my age I should have been married years ago but I wasn't too old for a trip behind the woodshed.  I said I would have been married years ago if these boys weren't after just one thing, someone who could cook.  My mother said she was very happy to hear my opinion but she agreed with my father.  They wished Henders good luck on our wedding day.  He was in on it all along!

My best friend, Ameronica, said the night before the wedding she overhead the men by the brewery warning Henders to be careful what he eats after we're married.  About 10 years ago the wagon vendor, Ameron, was found stabbed to death.  His widow was overhead telling a newly arrived nomad that her 3rd husband had just died.  When asked how her 1st husband died, she said from eating her mushroom soup.  When asked how her 2nd husband died, she said from eating her mushroom soup.  When asked how her 3rd husband died, she admitted she stabbed him.  When asked why she stabbed him she said because he wouldn't eat her mushroom soup.  Henders laughed and said he would be careful what he ate.

To make matters even worse, I was told we were going to go see what happen to our river which was now little more than a stream.  I felt like I was being banished.  And then I had to carry sack after heavy sack of potatoes to the supply wagon waiting by the Smallville Sign southeast of town.  There wasn't even a road there yet, there wasn't enough stone.  There wasn't enough of this, there wasn't enough of that, well there sure was enough potatoes.  Who was going to cook all these potatoes?  Why couldn't we take something lighter?  Henders handed me some seeds and seedlings to take to the wagon.  Why couldn't we just take mushroom?

Abandoned

Attention @kid1293 , It sounds to me as if I married you off to the main character in this story.  LOL  Is that okay with you or shall I print a disclaimer, any similarity to any person real or fictional is purely unintentional?  That's the thanks you get for making so many great mods.  Thank you :)

brads3

no wonder each story is nuttier than the last. you have been eating bad mushrooms. that explains lots.

kid1293

I hear you, woman. I better behave then?
I talked to the trader and he said he could bring some special mushroom seeds.
I don't know if they are magic or what, but he said you could get a huge harvest
from a small field. You just wait and see.

(A bit of a cheat. I used the vanilla numbers for mushrooms and they are high.
It should be safe to load in a saved game)

Abandoned

@kid1293 oh thank you, those look fantastic, will definitely add to map.  Must remember to invite @brads3 over for mushroom soup  :)  Here is chapter 2

Abandoned

Chapter 2

There were 12 of us that set off from Smallville in early spring, 10 adults and 2 children.  My best friend, Ameronica, and her husband, Andro, were among them, thank goodness. Oh, I'm Karriet, nice to meet you.  Well, we didn't have too far to go around the bend before we discovered the problem with the river.  It didn't take a rocket scientist to see that falling rocks and mudslides caused a big lake to form and forced the main river to flow off to the southeast.  Oh, a rocket scientist is a dwarf who knows a lot about rocks. 

Anyways, we went north around the lake up near the main river to setup our settlement.  We gathered resources and built a boarding house, then gathered wild foods to go with all those potatoes. Oh yes, there were lots of mushrooms growing in the forest.  The men began hunting, fishing, and making tools.  Isamarice began chopping firewood and Ameronica took charge of the seedlings. Palomena began making linen clothes from the pretty little blue flax plants she found.  The rest of us toted supplies and starting building houses.  I asked Henders why he chose to build our house on the other side of the boarding house away from the others.  Ameronica and Andro's house was being built way on the other side of town.  All he said was "you'll see."  It was a really nice looking cozy house with an upper porch, a root cellar, and pots to gather wild honey.  And in winter I saw a whole herd of deer grazing right outside my window.  What a nice surprise, I loved it.

It was no surprise that by late winter there was a newborn in each of the 5 houses, our included, but there was another surprise in early spring.  After another breakfast of lumpy wild oats, Henders told me to come outside but close my eyes and keep them closed until he told me to open them.  He took my hand and lead me down to the lake before telling me to open my eyes.  There before me were beautiful blooming water lilies and purple irises.  He just smiled before heading back to the house to find something else to eat.

Nilla

I guess it was your intention. I indeed was a bit puzzled as I read the word "rocket scientist" but your explanation makes perfect sense.  ;D

You say you haven't upgraded to version 1.0.7. Right? Still i can see the big menu with more resources on the last picture. Is anything odd?

Abandoned

@Nilla , there are many American expressions that refer to a really smart person, one is a "brain surgeon" and another is a (space travel) "rocket scientist", I just took the expression back in time with my explanation.  There are many expressions that mean just the opposite, for instance if it were Christmas time I would refer to the main character of this story as being "not the brightest bulb on the tree"

Regarding upgrade, I have not upgraded my game to 1.0.07 yet but I am using several mods made with the new tool kit.  I upgraded one of those mod after I started the map since I hadn't used it yet. Then I noticed the change in the info menu.  I like @Necora 's Maritime mod very much, wish I was a better dock builder, it's a little tricky.  But I can't say I like this new info box, it takes up more space on the screen but with it closed I can't keep my eye on important info of food, logs, firewood, tools, and clothes. Also unless it is open on screen shots I have to make more notes on year and season and population.  So game and story taking me longer but here is the next chapter.

Abandoned

Chapter 3

Not only was my new husband full of surprises but he was quite resourceful as well despite being just a kid himself.  He built a canoe of birch bark that was small and lightweight enough to traverse the small stream. Did I tell you he made the town signs back in Smallville?  Oh yes, very nice indeed.  Anyways, a trading post barge would never make it down that stream to Smallville but the canoe full of food could.  By winter of year 2 we had a good surplus of food but by then the stream had frozen over.  The town hall, started earlier in the year, was completed and the small forest schoolroom had its 1st student.   A crop field was cleared and ready for planting next spring.

In spring of year 3, Trentino and Jannamae arrived from Smallville.  There was a serious food shortage there now, if we had food to spare they would take it back there.  Well, I did tell them we were taking to many potatoes but nobody listened to me.  Henders shushed me and said the canoe would get there a lot faster than a month or more on foot with a wagon, probably longer since it was such a rainy spring.  One of the laborers could make the canoe trip right away.  I said one of the others would have to go because I had mushrooms to pick as soon as it stopped raining.  It was hard to keep a straight face seeing the look Henders just gave me.

Rome, the teacher, was glad the outdoor school had such a good roof.  He too thought it was raining more than normal that spring and summer.  At least it did not affect the squash crop as we feared.  A large storage shed was built out over the lake to make it easier to load food on to canoes to send to Smallville.  At the town meeting, Trentino said that down in Riverboat Junction they had food storage sheds built so sacks of foods could be lowered into the water for better keeping quality.  Lanon who caught a fair amount of fish from shore thought that was a very good idea since the lake water was very cold.  He also had a very good suggestion.  Since we would need more food to send to Smallville and the land here, not taken up by the big lake, was littered with stone and iron, he suggested we go underwater.  Through the cold clear water he could see freshwater mussels, soft shelled clams, scallops, and oysters that floodwaters must have washed down from the coast.  There was also plenty of seaweed. (oh, yuk) 

We needed more canoes, the food storage shed, a fishery, some dock walkways and stairs, another house, plus a tiny trading post.   Despite all the building projects underway, Henders took time to make us a washing station near the town well.  Yes, it was wonderful, heated water and washlines.  Ameronica just laughed when I said I was glad he didn't expect me to take the wash downriver and beat it with a rock.

brads3

it is weird that you did get the new items added without the upgrade. do you have steam? just thinking it auto-updated. i can understand the window being too large. i had to move my windows around because my worker bar got too big.seems evn thou the jobs are the same each mod adds to that toolbar.maybe once the mods are recoded,someone can make you a mod to reset the resource window back to basic.

Necora

@Abandoned cool story!

If you can think of any way I can make the dock placement easier let me know!

Nilla

Yes, I know the meaning of the expression "rocket scientist". I've learned most of my English by watching films and listening to music. Swedish is such a small language and opposite to other larger languages, films and television are always in original language with sub titles (unless it's a film for very small children).  It was only funny to read it in your story, but you explained it in a very clever way.  ;D