News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Newport - Story 12

Started by Abandoned, April 14, 2017, 04:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

@Nilla good thing about spring snow is it doesn't stay around too long.  Our spring here isn't too bad this year, but for the 3rd time now we've had sudden drops in temperature.  Yesterday, opened all the windows, went outside for awhile, temperature dropped 20 degrees in 20 minutes time.  Sunny though, looks like spring  :)

I have tried to manage the uneducated and housing and jobs but I just don't have the talent for it like you do.  I got very frustrated when I thought I had it good they up and move or change jobs.  With this slower population growth I have more jobs that need educated workers than I have educated workers.  Still find it better to have uneducated nomad workers than no workers, it does seem to balance out later in the game as children finish school.  Too bad nomads can't be schooled.  I use kid's tiny chopper all the time, I was just playing for awhile and built the 3rd one.  Log and firewood supply has improved.  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 9

In spring of year 12, 11 more nomads arrived.  One of them would become the tailor in the new clothes store making warm coats from our sheep's wool and deer hides.  Another newcomer would be gatherer in the hut being built up north.  One new house had just been finished in that area and another small house was being built.  There was the sound of busy workers everywhere.  Our forests were thriving and our log and firewood supplies were improving.  Sadly one of the foresters was killed by a falling tree.

There was so much going on around town that I did not even notice that my firstborn daughter, Lotte age 10, was no longer at home. Yes really, can you believe it?  What made it even worse was that I was the town's official census taker.  What can I say?  Well, Cleonard, the livestock merchant, had just brought us 4 chickens when I discovered her to be missing, and we all remembered the story of how Smallville's Jeral and Lian ran off together stowing away on one of the riverboats.  I began going door to door inquiring if anyone had seen her.  Newport was still quite a small town so it wasn't long before I found her.  She was living with Nico the farmer in another abode. She said as soon as she got the chickens settled that she picked up from the port, she was coming home to tell me where she was.  It was such a relief to have found her, and let me tell you, it was really nice sitting on that rocker on her front porch and looking out over the crop fields.

Those crops just barely made it into storage that year.  An early cold spell brought snow and an early winter.

Abandoned

Chapter 10

It was still snowing in early spring of year 13 when the linen weaver workshop was finished.  The new tailor would weave linen clothes from cultured flax while the clothes store next door made wool and warm coats.  The workplace tailor next to our house was still making hide coats.  A short distance away by the old school, a gatherer set up shop and a herbalist began collecting herbs over by the hospital.

The far west side of town was also undergoing a lot of new development. A storage barn was built along with 2 cozy cottages, with a 3rd one planned.  An orchard of plum trees was planted and a bee hive set up to help pollinate the fruit trees and vine crops.  A workplace brewery would use honey or wild honey to make mead.  Another crop field was being cleared for wheat for ale or more flour.

As soon as the crops were harvested and stored away, the laborers went to gather iron.  The fact that the available iron was some distance away now was brought up at the town meeting.  There was still  plenty of it and more across the river but if the need arose we could build a tiny mine in the hill by the new wheat field.  The Smallville signpost was a short distance behind that hill and there was still some iron there to be had.  We had warmer clothes so could spend the winter collecting the iron.

Progress continued to be made throughout year 14.  Land was being cleared behind the school for a walnut orchard, nut bread would be a nice alternative to the herb bread we were use to.  We did not as yet have walnut seeds but it was comforting to be able to plan ahead knowing our reliable river boat merchant would be bringing them soon, if not on the next visit then certainly the one after that.

Late spring brought 12 nomads and an outbreak of tuberculosis.  Doc Marlow immediately opened the hospital, Lotte took over a kettle of chicken soup, and the 3 patients made a quick recovery.  The nomads also brought the need for yet more housing.  The 3rd cozy cottage was finished and a 2nd happy haven was built near the port.  Several other small house were under construction but the lodging house was full and we still had several homeless citizens. 

We had a good surplus of food, our crop fields produce well, but as was our custom that we learned back in Smallville, we took to the woods to gather what wild foods we could find before winter.  Everyone's pantry was well filled, and thanks to our 3rd tiny chopper our firewood piles were full too.  As expected, Reddy brought walnut seeds, and a new hunter's lodge and residence was under construction.  By the time the snow began to fall, everyone had a roof over their heads.

brads3

can i be a critic?or is it crytic? based on your population:30 houses+boarding house? 12 crop fields? food storage= 6 months only.no surplus to handle the next set of nomads? do i dare ask what you are trading out?

Abandoned

@brads3 critic welcome  :)  I would have to check number on houses but I think still less than 30.  Crop fields only 6 plus 2 orchards so far, 1 field inedible flax.  Trading so far has been mainly seedlings, plus iron tools, hide & linen clothes, and herbs in exchange for seeds at the main port and sheep and chickens at the other.  Waiting for more sheep or wool.  The next nomads do not stay, must increase food and education rate.  Must also go play the game and finish next chapter, I didn't get to it at all yesterday.  :)

edit, make that 3 orchards, peaches, plums, walnuts. , more than 30 houses, and discovered I had trading post marked to stock ale but brewer making mead.  glad you criticed ... smiley face.

Abandoned

Chapter 11

At the early spring of year 15 town meeting several towns people complained that our now thriving forest was obstructing easy access to workplaces and storage facilities and those living along the river said the trees were blocking their scenic views.  Problem trees were marked and laborers systematically began cutting and added them to our stockpiles.

In spring, 14 nomads arrived but did not stay.  They were on their way to Smallville.  After their experience with the devastating floods, they wanted their children to have the best survival education possible and that was to be had in Smallville.  We could have used more laborers but their leaving meant our education rate would also improve.  We gave them as much food as they could carry to take with them to Smallville and we gave them directions to the signpost.

The extra logs allowed more building projects throughout the year.  Not far from the new hunter's lodge we constructed a gatherer and an herbalist hut, and began some housing.  Another fishing pier and house was under construction and 2 bridges crossed the river. There was plenty of stone and iron to be had and a lot of good flat farmland should the need arise.  Like our forests, Newport was thriving.

Abandoned

Note:  Mods added while game in progress during chapter 12 : KidStoneHouse Addon v1, KidYard Cover v1.2, and while I was at it and kid's Alotofseeds trader does such a fine job bringing seeds, I also added DS brussel sprouts and DS carrots.  Also note: BL mod Trader Accepts All does not affect trading posts used in this map, perhaps only works with vanilla or cc ports.

Chapter 12

In early spring of year 16 we knew our efforts to increase our food supply had paid off.  We had 6 hunters, 8 fisherman, 7 gatherers, 1 herdsman, 1 beekeeper, and 10 farmers; 6 farmers tended crop fields, 3 took care of orchards, and 1 tended the chicken coop.  All produced well.  We felt a little guilty to have so much when others had so little.  We now had 43 homes and our education rate increased to 19%.  We were 100% healthy and happy. 

Well, not everyone was happy with where we decided to put the new pasture for the 4 sheep that Cleonard the livestock merchant brought that spring.  Folks up north thought it should go by them but since all the storage facilities were well stocked with a wide variety of foods, it was decided it should go where the wool was most needed.  That made Erneice the clothes store tailor happy but Ashawanna, the weaver, next door thought that location should have a wild flax gatherer or another flax field.  The hunter, gatherer, and forester were not happy with the thought of losing land to either one of them.  They were somewhat pacified when we cleared stone from their work areas allowing more room for trees, herbs, and wild foods to grow.  We began adding stockpile coverings and paving dirt roads with stone, making everyone happy.

In late spring, 20 nomads arrived but did not stay, they were just passing through.  They were miners who came from the north and were headed to Mountain Mines; they heard there were riches to be had in their precious mines.  We could have used a few more laborers and farmers, our riches were in our forests and crop fields, but when Reddy returned with beans, potatoes, and corn seeds we had to decline.  Having just bought sheep, our seedling supply for restocking was already low.  When Reddy returned later in the year, we traded for vegetable seeds, a nice assortment of mixed vegetables.

In early winter of that year, year 16, we began building a second greenhouse near the north port hoping to have extra seedlings to trade for more livestock.  When Cleonard the livestock merchant returned in winter we only managed to buy 2 more sheep. Those miners that passed through did get us rethinking a tiny mine.  With coal our blacksmith could make better longer lasting steel tools, leaving more of the iron tools for trade.  Well, we'll think about it more next year.

brads3

you have the TP accepts all mod that NILLA needs. is it updated to work with the new flags or is that what isn't working across the TP's???

Abandoned

@brads3 I don't think that mod would help Nila, not for new flags.  If I would have seen Nila's post first I wouldn't have added my note here to avoid confusion.  I used it on one of my cc tests and on test of Fountain Lite where I also used specialized trader.  Traders took everything like herbs and ale.  I think I used vanilla port with cc, also took everything. This map neither trader accepts everything in trade, tiny trader it depends what trader comes just like it always does.  Better get back to the game and next chapter,  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 13

The new covering roofs were very popular, everyone wanted one and of course they wanted different sizes and colors.  Venessee, the wood chopper in the north, wasn't happy with the fact that the wood chopper in the south got a covering first but was very happy with it nonetheless.  The new tailor and weaver were worse than the last 2 when it came to bickering.  Thank goodness they were both happily married and not to each other.  Gertram the tailor wasn't happy with Kamiley's cover blocking the morning sun from his shop window.  Kamiley said they should trade places and he could work outside in the hot summer sun and smell the sheep.  Gertram said she was wasteful having to have her own storage shed for textiles built next to her shop when there was a good size shed right across from his.  She said if he didn't like it don't use it and later when a wool coat appeared in the shed, she took it out and tossed it into the sheep pen. 

They were distracted from their squabbling when the boatman arrived with brussels sprout seeds and the discussion of field placement began.  Here we go again.  The boatman just left when 18 nomads arrived.  They came from the south where first they had floods then heat and drought, they were headed further north and would not stay.  They sure enjoyed plenty of cool water from our tiny well before they left.

Building projects continued even though, in autumn, Kathey the builder died in childbirth.  When winter came, the wood cutter in the south was pleased with the firewood storage shed build under her covering and Diniah, the herbalist, had a covering built over the plants outside her hut.  We ladies who got together regularly to clean the school, chapel, and hospital just loved the covering built by the hospital.  We would not have to wait till spring to wash the linens,  we could even hang things on the support beam if we ran out of room on the washlines.

Yes, after 18 years Newport was doing well.  We had a wide variety of crops to plant and plenty of firewood, daily struggles of life were a bit easier with warmer clothes, paved roads, and yard coverings.  We had a population of 145, 75 adults, 25 students, and 45 young children,  all healthy and relatively happy, and then ...

Abandoned

And then, in early spring of year 18 disaster struck.

brads3

that is 1 ugly tornado. why you leave us in suspence like that for?is this like TV where you end the year this way?  .... will return someday?

kid1293

Abandoned

@brads3 I'm sorry, I just could not resist another cliffhanger, like TV daytime soap opera on Friday leaves you hanging till Monday.  Just thought I would make story into a suspense thriller or tornado horror story.  I know I was scared of what that thing was going to do, especially when I saw my favorite seed merchant in his riverboat.  Of course I couldn't say so in the story but I thought this tornado was really cool when I first saw it here, good graphic.  Had no idea what to expect with disasters on.

@kid1293 these little bannies are survivors, they live to plant crops another day.  To be continued: Chapter 14 coming soon, probably this afternoon yet.   :)

Abandoned

Chapter 14

Yes, in early spring of year 18 disaster struck.  The day began like any other spring day only quite a bit colder than the day before.  When the sky darkened we expected snow, but it began to rain.  We were surprised to hear distant thunder and then the wind began to pick up and the sound of the wind became frightening and then the frantic calls rang out around town that a tornado had touched down.  Someone in one of the happy haven towers saw it across the river moving this way.  If that wasn't bad enough, they also saw Reddy rowing his boat down river right into the path of the storm.   We were all terrified and prayed that Reddy would at least make it safely to shore.  We ran for shelter not knowing where to hide from this wrath of nature.  Trees were being uprooted and snapped like twigs, what would happen when this monstrous force hit our town?

Thank God we did not find out.  The funnel twisted and turned tearing up every tree in its path, but when it reached the river it veered off downstream before crossing over to continue its path of destruction.  Our town and buildings were spared but the storm took its toll, Rowlandel the fisherman was killed by the tornado, as was Gartha the forester, Sedric the gatherer, and Danich the herbalist. We laid our loved ones to rest and with heavy hearts we returned to our work.  There were fields to plant and there was no bickering now even though the new crop fields were a bit too close to the northern gatherer's hut.  Reddy, still shaken from his close call, went on his way.  He would bring the corn and carrot seeds back another time.

In late spring we welcomed 25 storm victims, two-time survivors actually.  They were railroad surveyors from the south whose camp was flooded out and rebuilt only to be blown apart by a tornado.  Part of the same storm system that past through here.  They too had suffered lost loved ones.  We consoled each other as best we could as they blended into our community. Houses were built, some very nice new stone ones too I might add, and crops were harvested and vegetables were stored and sorted.  The food storage shed wasn't quite suitable for the unsorted vegetables but Leniele, the home grower, said she would rather have a small workplace shed to store them in.  One would be built along with yet another schoolhouse.  One of her children and several others missed out on getting educated and we didn't want others to miss out because we were short of classroom space, and we would begin teaching survival skills.