News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Banished UI: Event Log

Started by Paeng, April 30, 2017, 09:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paeng

Seeing all the good work done on the UI, I'm wondering if a pet peeve of mine could be tweaked as well - that Event Log, which to me takes way too much space...

Mainly it's the messages that are too verbose for my taste -

"Late Autumn 30:" - who cares? Else just state the year...

A merchant has arrived at a trading post - where else would he arrive? "A merchant arrived" would do...

A child named Yadda was born - again, "Yadda was born" would do...

Yadda has become an adult and is working as a laborer - why not just "Yadda is now a laborer"?

I'd think there are just a few strings to generate these notices.
And who needs 6 lines? Three would do, it's scrollable anyway...

If these elements can be reached, that window could be reduced to about 1/4 of its current size.

The only thing breaking out are the "death notices", some of which have become huge, too - good for a chuckle, but not worth all that screen estate. Well, if there really is no way to put in a decent line-break, let them spill out - I'd live with that if it means that the window can be much smaller.

It's not all that important, but maybe someone has already thought about it...

A Q'n'D way of course would be to add a minimize button... my second choice  ::)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

QueryEverything

I like the idea of a minimize button too :)

I'd be happy for colour coded messages :)  Quick glance at the colour that pops up, then that gets my attention, or not. 

And I know it's been asked for before, and I think the answer was 'no', the ability to have a link to the merchant arrival, same as the nomads.  But, I think it can't be done.

I'd be happy if the other messages were truncated, but not the death ones, they are very funny :) 

But certainly a +1 from me @Paeng
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Discrepancy

I did start a while ago to make a different layout event log, but the changes I made then just caused crashes. But I didn't know then what I know now, so I will have a look...eventually.

Paeng

Quote from: QueryEverything on April 30, 2017, 05:44:14 PMI'd be happy for colour coded messages

Wait - they are color coded... blue=trader, yellow=death, red=disease... isn't there a purple one, too?

What else would you color - births, student, laborer? that would become pretty... wild  :D

Quotenot the death ones, they are very funny

Yeah... though after the 3rd time they just scroll by anyway, unread...  ;)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

RedKetchup

Quote from: Paeng on May 01, 2017, 01:40:44 AM
Wait - they are color coded... blue=trader, yellow=death, red=disease... isn't there a purple one, too?

yeah right ^^ i am disease...
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

QueryEverything

I've never seen a purple one @Paeng ....  odd ...  I must pay more attention now :D

@RedKetchup noooooo .... just tomatoes ;)  haha
And didn't you know that the red apple was considered poisonous in some cultures ;)
But - not you :D
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]