Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant - Sink Mill: trying for 5000, got 6000 instead

Started by irrelevant, August 15, 2014, 05:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

New housing projects

assobanana76

I've always been curious about how others play ..  ;)

I see that many, like you, placing all the buildings and then pausing gradually building them.
I can not do so (except in rare cases where I need to understand the size) ..
I prefer to have all paused in my head and then place a building at a time ..
but do not bother you, all those great icons of pause?  ;D

however great job!
I do not think I would ever be able to handle a big map with a population so huge!  :-\
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

Trizeropz

That looks very promising @irrelevant . I think i will not be much longer the big population king;)

Nilla

Quote from: irrelevant on May 20, 2015, 06:12:59 PM
I was wrong on the calculation of the amount of firewood that could be purchased with the difference between building wood vs stone.

Here is the correct calculation:

Logs:    24 - 16 = 8 x 2 = 16
Stone:  40 - 8 = 32 x 8 = 256
Iron:   10 - 0 = 10 x 6 = 60

16 + 256 + 60 = 332 / 4 = 83 firewood purchased with construction mat savings.

That isn't enough to justify building wood vs stone.

I think the calculation isn't done yet.

If I remember it right; Average annual use of firewood:
wood house about 45
stone house about 30
difference about 15

pay off time for the stone house 83/15=5,5 years

That's what I had in mind as I thought you ought to stop buying stones. But of cause; if you cannot produce enough firewood, it's not as simple as that.

Quote from: irrelevant on May 20, 2015, 06:22:30 PM

But what I am going to do as quickly as possible, is to lay the foundations for all the houses I will build in the next five years. That will clear out the stockpiles. It also will clarify the stone situation.

Excellent strategy. Also because you will need fewer builders, who will mess up with the living situation and productivity.

irrelevant

Another thing that I think is hurting my production is storing tools and coats. I've noticed that they are piling up at many smiths and tailors, lying on the ground and hanging from the clotheslines. Storing them is laborers' work, but the laborers are coming from all over the map, causing this to be delayed. I believe there probably is a limit (10?) to how many can be at the producer before the producer has to stop working and store them himself. And that is the best case; the worst case would be that he goes on working, and the additional output just vanishes. I don't know what actually happens as I have never noticed this before. Going to look more closely this evening. This probably also is happening at woodcutters. This would not affect taverns, as ale is being taken directly from the taverns to the TPs by traders.

irrelevant

Nilla

Quote from: irrelevant on May 22, 2015, 06:10:55 PM
The producers stop working to store their stuff.

And you have 1000s of free labourers running around? Weird! I suppose there is some problem with the calculation in such a big town. Have you examined what the laborers are doing? I suppose they are on some important mission far away from home, just to avoid the annoying work of carrying firewood from the chopper to the store.  ;)

Trizeropz

i had this too in my town. they also dropped cloth. i never saw a cloth laying on the ground^^

irrelevant

Yes, everything related to logistics is starting to break down. Production of tools, coats, firewood, and ale are all down significantly from last year. I'll put some numbers up when year 75 is complete. On top of that, the harvest this year was disastrous. Everything got planted okay, but the summer was brutally hot and dry which prevented the crops from maturing; on top of that the first frost was in autumn. Can't blame that on the laborers though!  ;D

irrelevant

Here are the production figures for the last 5 years, very discouraging (no raw material shortages, this is all due to worker commutes and logistics problems)

Firewood
71 42,236
72 40,136
73 38,364
74 38,892
75 37,212

Tools
71 6848
72 6766
73 6454
74 6268
75 5158

Coats
71 6300
72 7078
73 6042
74 5692
75 4972

Ale
71 38,210
72 34,730
73 31,540
74 30,200
75 26,260

Food
71 285,600
72 275,941
73 265,406
74 293,805 *phasing out pastures, converting sheep to food
75 132,278

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

assobanana76

Quote from: Nilla on May 21, 2015, 06:41:10 AM
If I remember it right; Average annual use of firewood:
wood house about 45
stone house about 30
difference about 15
and then why I have always felt that you had to calculate 70 per house ??
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

irrelevant

Quote from: assobanana76 on May 25, 2015, 12:26:31 AM
and then why I have always felt that you had to calculate 70 per house ??
Because it's good to plan for the worst case. ;)

Actually though, when you build a new house, the guys who move in will stock it immediately with ~75 firewood.

irrelevant

Early Winter 76 - pop 5394

Still plugging away. Turned away nomads in summer 76, about a year later than I had hoped. That means I have to hold on somehow until FY81 or so. Going to be tough, because of last year's disastrous harvest, and the ongoing miserable ale production.

All I'm doing is building houses (and producers here and there), and trading. The screenshot shows you why I'm not posting updates; my screen is filled with construction projects. I have just a fraction of my total projects active at any given time. This is because most of them would have builders coming in from BFE and being totally unproductive. So I have a few good crews, and when they finish one project, I assign them to another project that is nearby. In order to do this, I must have all my active projects open and be watching them constantly; when one project completes I can unpause another one that is nearby, so the good builders will get reassigned to it. To make this work you must be vigilant in making sure that you have zero extra builders!

Yeah, I know, zzzzzzzzzzzzz :o :-\

I must admit, I did add a couple of mods. I added the mod that takes away the smoke, and I also added Slink's mod to do away with seed and livestock traders. My life is much improved!